Recurrant Cystitis/UTI's - TMI about my sex life

LaineyG

Reaction score
Can anyone help me?

When I was with my ex I'd get cystitis and UTI's all the time. I'd pee blood and be in serious discomfort. A course of antibiotics later the UTI would have gone, but then I'd get thrush :wall: :wall: :wall:

With me, it's all caused by sex!

If I have a right good session I'm in agony 2 days later. I know I'm meant to pee straight after, but sometimes (like Friday :oops: ) It wouldn't have been very romantic to shoot off to the loo, plus the fact that I was tipsy and couldn't be bothered!

So, I'm on my way to the docs in an hour, with a sample that looks like ribena :( .

Does anyone else get this? The peeing after sex doesn't always work either, so I'm looking for any tips on how to avoid this cycle, as it starts to make me not want sex because I know what's coming (no pun intended :rotfl: )

I drink tonnes of water, and the day after I always have a litre of cranberry juice too.

Am I destined for a life of UTI's?

I don't have any experience of this but if I were you I'd be asking the doctor for something more than just more antibiotics. Surely if this is a repeat event then there must be an underlying cause and that can be investgated? I know from my daughter's reflux (of her ureter) that repeat UTIs are dangerous and can cause kidney damage which is not something you want to be living with!

I would push for a more in-depth investigation if I were you - sex is supposed to be something to look forward to! :wink:

that sounds awful :( poor you!

i know occasionally if i've had a 'prolonged' session so to speak i've caught a uti.

it sounds like you are really prone to them though. iirc im sure that you can be prescribed a maintance dose of antibiotics to keep on top of any infection that you might pick up. im sure it's such a low dose it's safe for you and just means that if you do start with an infection, the antibodies are already there ready to fight it!!

*Star* said:
iirc im sure that you can be prescribed a maintance dose of antibiotics to keep on top of any infection that you might pick up. im sure it's such a low dose it's safe for you and just means that if you do start with an infection, the antibodies are already there ready to fight it!!

Yes this is what Lucy has - a small (2.5ml) daily dose of antibiotics which are used to help prevent a full blown UTI and they do work, they have reduced the number of UTIs really well. But I would still want to understand the underlying cause - and if there's anything else you can do because being on daily antibiotics has a down side too, if Lucy has a different infection that needs antibiotics she has to stop her preventative until the other course is finished and this often causes her to get thrush in her mouth.

Can anyone help me?

When I was with my ex I'd get cystitis and UTI's all the time. I'd pee blood and be in serious discomfort. A course of antibiotics later the UTI would have gone, but then I'd get thrush :wall: :wall: :wall:

With me, it's all caused by sex!

If I have a right good session I'm in agony 2 days later. I know I'm meant to pee straight after, but sometimes (like Friday :oops: ) It wouldn't have been very romantic to shoot off to the loo, plus the fact that I was tipsy and couldn't be bothered!

So, I'm on my way to the docs in an hour, with a sample that looks like ribena :( .

Does anyone else get this? The peeing after sex doesn't always work either, so I'm looking for any tips on how to avoid this cycle, as it starts to make me not want sex because I know what's coming (no pun intended :rotfl: )

I drink tonnes of water, and the day after I always have a litre of cranberry juice too.

Am I destined for a life of UTI's?

I don't have any experience of this but if I were you I'd be asking the doctor for something more than just more antibiotics. Surely if this is a repeat event then there must be an underlying cause and that can be investgated? I know from my daughter's reflux (of her ureter) that repeat UTIs are dangerous and can cause kidney damage which is not something you want to be living with!

I would push for a more in-depth investigation if I were you - sex is supposed to be something to look forward to! :wink:

that sounds awful :( poor you!

i know occasionally if i've had a 'prolonged' session so to speak i've caught a uti.

it sounds like you are really prone to them though. iirc im sure that you can be prescribed a maintance dose of antibiotics to keep on top of any infection that you might pick up. im sure it's such a low dose it's safe for you and just means that if you do start with an infection, the antibodies are already there ready to fight it!!

*Star* said:
iirc im sure that you can be prescribed a maintance dose of antibiotics to keep on top of any infection that you might pick up. im sure it's such a low dose it's safe for you and just means that if you do start with an infection, the antibodies are already there ready to fight it!!

Yes this is what Lucy has - a small (2.5ml) daily dose of antibiotics which are used to help prevent a full blown UTI and they do work, they have reduced the number of UTIs really well. But I would still want to understand the underlying cause - and if there's anything else you can do because being on daily antibiotics has a down side too, if Lucy has a different infection that needs antibiotics she has to stop her preventative until the other course is finished and this often causes her to get thrush in her mouth.

Well, I went to the doc and handed over my sample and he said "That's a LOT of blood" and I said "Yes, and it isn't even FMU, it's very dilute"

So, I've got antibiotics to clear this up quickly, he felt round my kidneys and I have no pain or sign of infection in them (which I kinda knew as I only picked the UTI up at the weekend, so it hasn't really had time to travel up).

Luckily the doctor I got is into alternative remedies, and suggested two things, cranberry tablets daily, which can reduce the risk of cystitis by 50%, and, after a good seeing too :oops: (my words, not the Docs! :rotfl: ) I'm to take a dandelion extract tablet and at least three litres of fluid during the day. Dandelion acts as a diuretic, so it should flush all the bacteria out of my bladder before it gets a chance to attach to my bladder wall.

So I'm all set! Wish me luck, if this doesn't work it's a trip to the urologist!

good luck hun i used to get cystitis a lot i used to take these sachets in water i think its called cystopurin,
they have cranberry in them too.. and they used to clear it up after 1 or 2 sachets..but obviously you can't live your life drinking that! hope the stuff the docs gave you work :)

omygosh u poor thing, iv only had proper cystitis once and egads once is enough! i dont kno how u cope with that so regularly!

i know its really awkward, but u really need to reiterate to ur partner about good hygeine etc, get around sounding like ur blaming him by saying "the doc said BOTH partners must keep good hygeine" if necessary explain the reasons what causes it (if he hasnt washed since last time u had sex and that was hours ago then the bacteria from your- ahem, shall we say "ladybits"! which is harmless when fresh if its exposed to air and goes stale on him if its reintroduced to you it may cause aggro with you!)

urethra's (wee-holes!) are very clean but are sensitive to bacteria which live normally on fanny's, willy's, and bottoms! (which is why we supposed to wipe front to back too- btw are u doing so coz if not that might be causing it!)

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back