Reassurance please

ljpossi123

Reaction score
I'm 7 weeks and got a letter to make an appointment for my first scan yesterday so i called this morning and the woman was a bit mean on the phone. She said i'm not 12 weeks til april 3rd so she made the appointment for april 5th but said the midwife will send me a letter about having blood tests. I said i didn't understand cos my doctor said they take blood at the scan appointment and she laughed at me! I felt stupid so didn't say anything else and i think that i'll just get a letter from the midwife sometime soon to go in for the bloodtests. Is this normal? Why couldn't i get the appointment for the blood on the phone???
Any suggestions or reassurance appreciated xxx

Hi!

Try not to stress out - keeping relaxed is much better for the baby, the woman on the phone was probably having a bad day!

The way in which scans and bloods are booked varies from county to county depending on your local NHS provider (presuming you live in the UK!).

I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks and rung my local GP who booked me an appt with the midwife a week later. She gave me lots of leaflets and filled in my maternity booklet with my estimated due date etc. And told me when to book my 1st scan and bloods. I was told to book my first scan no earlier than 11 weeks at my local hospital and to ring up and book myself in for a blood test at my local GP surgery anytime before my next midwifes appt - which was at 12 weeks also.

So I had my bloods taken at 8 weeks at my local surgery as instructed by my midwife. If you are unsure then just contact your midewife she will be happy to help!! Also I haven't seen a doctor throughout my entire pregnancy (I'm now 32 weeks) only my midwife so don't be worried if you don't either - also I wouldn't be suprised if the doctors info was a little out of date with regards to bloods being done at the same time as 12 week scans!

For me it was different again. When I found out I was pregnant I made an appointment at the doctors surgery to "set things in motion" as I wasn't sure what to do.

They told me to make a "booking" appointment with the surgery midwife (which I did for the next week) and she did my blood test and gave me a number to ring to make an appointment for my community midwife.

The best thing, if you're worried is to ring your midwife. It's her job to be available to you for questions etc. and if you can't speak to your midwife, you can speak to the other community midwives.

They want you to have a relaxed enjoyable pregnancy so don't worry about asking "stupid" questions, they'd rather you asked!

But i don't know who my midwife is! I had an initial appointment at the doctor and they sent a letter to the hospital. I got the letter yesterday and thats when i called to make the appointment but i haven't been given a name of the midwife yet. The woman said the midwife will contact me to do the blood tests but she didn't say how or when - i guess by letter. If i haven't heard anything in the next week i'll call my doctors.

In which case, I would ring your doctors surgery and ask for the phone number for the midwife's office or the antenatal clinic (these are usually based at the hospital). I'd also ask them who the community midwife is for your area as they should know.

Knowing that there is someone available to contact is half the battle agains stress/worries.

Hi..there is a website called www.midwivesonline.com and it is run by midwives for midwives and pregnant ladies, and they will answer your queries, and maybe tell you all you need to know. It's a great site, but their aim is to answer emails within one week...Maybe they will get back, sooner, but I found all the info I required on the site, so I didn't need to email them..Hope it helps.
Love and Light
ukwahine :D

I found out when i was 5 weeks by a home test, went to my docs 4 days later. She then contacted the midwife and i got a letter about 10 days later from the midwife team giving me a date she will come to see me at my home. She took blood, urine, etc there and then. She then made notes and is sending a card to the scan dept at the hospital, who will then contact me with my date. So I havent had to call anyone about the appointments yet, not until i get to 16 weeks, then i have to make an appointment with my midwife!

My experience has been different again. I got a positive result at 5 weeks and saw the doctor the next day who did no tests whatsoever but sent my details direct to the hospital. I received a letter a few weeks later with a date for a 13 week scan and I have had absolutely no other contact with anyone since then. I'm now 10 weeks. No-one has even confirmed my pregnancy (just did a few repeat tests to reassure myself).

Is this normal or am I also missing something? I wasn't concerned until I read all the posts here where people seem to have much more contact than me!

Look forward to your views (I'm also NHS)

Im with NHS too, but it seems strange you have not been given a midwife. My doc did not confirm my pregnancy either as I told her I had already done 3 home tests all with the same result.

My midwife took all my details at my home along with blood etc to test for any infections or low iron. Maybe an idea to contact your doc again and ask about being asigned a midwife.

Hope this helps a bit

Take care
Natalie

Doctors don't tend to do a test if you're fairly positive or can describe a number of symptoms alongside having a positive home test.

I told my doctor that I was pregnant and she asked why. I said my period was late, I'd done a home test which was positive and had sore boobs etc.

If you're in normal health there generally isn't much that they can do early on other than get your details and family history until the 12 week scan.

It does feel strange that this big thing is happening to you and yet everything is carrying on as normal but believe me, the changes and appointments etc. will soon increase and before you know it you'll be like me and have only a few weeks to go and you'll be thinkg where did the time go!

Same again here, my story completely different. Took 3 tests at home but still wasnt sure as wasnt feeling pregnant, made an appointment at the Drs 2 days later, me & hubby asked him to do another test, even though he said the shop ones are just as accurate. Then he confirmed it, made an appointment with the nurse at the Drs surgery which was 2 weeks later, she filled in all the forms etc. I said Id been getting tummy pains and didnt know exact dates so she phoned hospital straight away booked my scan and that was that.
The scan was yesterday found out that the pain was a cyst which I had with my first son.
The next contact I have with the nurse is in 3 weeks when she said she'd phoned me.
Havent had any blood taken yet, which dont get me wrong Im quite happy about, I hate needles.
Best thing is we now know the little one is due 11 Dec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back