Rear-facing car seats for older babies

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
Does anybody have a rear-facing car seat for an older baby? I've read that they're 5x safer than a standard forward-facing one, and that children should be rear-facing until at least 2 and a half years old! But they're also much more expensive! We're looking at getting one because we travel to see my family a lot and I'll feel better knowing she's in a safer car seat.

We're looking at this one: http://www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/229?osCsid=tui69gei2d3jskf28vfhb2gvq6

Last edited:
Are there any good ones for cheaper than that?! That price is just a bit steep! :shock:

Whoa that's the most expensive one I've seen! There are loads around. If you go to a Volvo dealer they have their own seat with is the britax highway but instead of the britax name tag on it has the volvo logo. It's £160 and lasts until their about 4. Youll have to go to the dealer to find out about it but just research the britax highway to see what it looks like.

There's also a maxi cosi one that I really like but again it's a bit steep at £270. Hence why I'm just going with the Volvo one. Also if your lo isn't very heavy then you could get a temporary one. My lo is only 9kg at 18 months (currently still in her infant carrier) and I'm getting the britax first class in a few weeks as this is rear facing until 13kg which is about 28lb and you can get that for £99 from kiddicare. Www.carseat.se has a list of car seats as well that you can get from uk dealers and it's a great site for info too.

I read in the pape ages ago this was safer, but if so why are they not
More common? I Don't understand why we're advised to have a forward facing seat?

Also, will the babies be ok staring backwards until
They are 4? I know I get carsick!!!!

I've heard of these and am probably about to sound really thick...but where to their feet go when they're bigger? Won't they be all squashed? X

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

I've heard of these and am probably about to sound really thick...but where to their feet go when they're bigger? Won't they be all squashed? X

thats what i was thinking :S

x

Phew glad it's not just me lol! X

The bigger seats have loads of leg room as they sit further back and they do sort of a 'frog leg' pose which apparently is pretty comfy lol.

They dont sell the rear facing seats in alot/most places because of popularity. Because we're not educated in car safety compared to other countries we tend to go for the cheaper option and so the majority of people were buying the forward facing seats. Now it's just a common thing to switch them to forward facing and so shops won't stock things that are unlikely to sell. Which is a shame because if they made them more available and at a more accessable price, people might buy them more! Catch 22 I guess.

I wouldn't imagine they'll get car sick :/ They might do but if its something theyve always experienced then they wouldnt really know any different. I guess...I dont know! Ive never really thought about it lol.

I'm a bit of a car safety fanatic tbh :blush: I have nothing against anyone that chooses to forward face, as its personal choice after all, but I do think it should be more commonly advertised and information should be given out. In many other countries is completly the norm to have them rear facing and yet here it's frowned upon (as Ive been critised for rear facing).

I read in the pape ages ago this was safer, but if so why are they not
More common? I Don't understand why we're advised to have a forward facing seat?

Also, will the babies be ok staring backwards until
They are 4? I know I get carsick!!!!

They do actually advise rear-facing for as long as possible when you buy a car seat, but most people choose to ignore the advice :roll:

I have the Safety First carseat which goes rearward facing till LO is 13 kg, then turns on the base to forward facing. In my red book 13kg seems to be when they hit about 2 1/4 if they're on the middle line iykwim? So as Lizzie is little we're hoping it'll take her rearward facing for a while :)

Anyway, we didn't really like that particular one to start with but it turned out it was the only one that would fit in my car! I have a fairly standard sized car (new Punto) and two seats we tried just wouldn't go in without having the front passenger seat tilted really far forwards! Fine if you've got no other passengers lol :wall:
So make sure you try them out in your car before you actually part with lots of cash if you can otherwise you might get a bit stuck!

Hello guys, where can you buy baby car seats? I’m going to have a child so I need a car seat for my baby when it is born. Please recommend if you know any best resource.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back