Really unhappy with my dr!

Jayjay027

Reaction score
I changed dr surgeries recently and when I found out I was pregnant again I phoned the receptionist to ask what the procedure was, and she said I had to book an appt with the dr. My appt was yesterday afternoon and the more I think about it, the unhappier I am with the appt!!
With my 1st pregnancy at my old surgery, I told the dr I was pregnant, she had a feel of my tummy, sent me for a preg test with the nurse and got me booked in with the community midwife for my booking in appt.
This time, however, I told him I was pregnant, he took my word for it and told me I wouldn't hear anything now until I got my letter for my 12wk scan!!! He also refused to be helpful about my hyperemesis and told me that I probably would get it and there was nothing I could do about it yet.
I'm so frustrated. Aren't I supposed to have a booking in appointment before my 12wk scan??
Did he miss something? Does this seem normal? My other surgery were so much better I miss them so much :( x

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

Yes, you should of got a booking appointment!

I've had two so far.

I had a pre-booking at 5 weeks, I was given my bounty back and some information.
Then at 8 weeks I had an appt with a midwife who took my blood, urine, wrote down my medical history, weighed me and asked me questions about my lifestyle.

I'd see another doctor hun! I think that doctor was very rude and not supportive at all xxx

My docs did the same. He took my word for it an told me to make an app with the midwife for around 10weeks.

Home pregnancy tests are so good nowadays there is no need for the dr to retest you. Try and get the MW number attached to the surgery as usually you have a booking appt. You can chat to her about the hyperemesis as she can admit you if you have 3-4+ of ketones in your urine.

Should I just phone the midwives myself and tell them my dr is unhelpful?

I had am MMC 3 years ago and I just got told to make mw appointment

Same happened when I went to docs at 6 weeks

These days people who go to the doctors and tell them their pregnant don't need a docs test to confirm that I guess

However if your unhappy with how you have been treated about your sickness you should make a formal complaint and demand to see a 2nd doctor :)

Hope you get it sorted xx

I don't really care that he didn't send me for a test, its that he didn't seem to do anything or care at all about my worries with regards to hyperemesis. He didn't mention a booking appt or a midwife or anything.

Yeah so maybe make a complaint or ask to see a different doctor?

You could always ring and ask them for the MW number and drop her a call :)

I had to ask for the number at reception and arrange a booking appointment myself

Problem these days is doctors as more locum- so work self employed for numerous surgeries with different processes :( gone are the family doctor days :(

My dr said it had nothing to do with them till the 16 week appointment. I rang midwife myself and she was going to have a talk with them as they were giving out incorrect information.

Booking appointment about 8 weeks, then scan 12 weeks.

I had pretty much the same, although Dr happily prescribed me a load of high dose folic acid due to my history.

He didn't do a pregnancy test though and I got my scan letter and booking in appointment in the same envelope a few days after appt....The GP simply referred me and it all went from there.

Dr's appt was at 6w.

xxxx

Last edited:
Sounds about right to me to be honest. My new doctor or my old doctor doesnt do pregnancy test didnt feel my belly or anything. Only thing I am surprised about is they havent mentioned a midwife?? They wouldnt see you for a few weeks anyway but should refer you to the mw or she should contact you. I know my old surgery it took them a few weeks for the midwife contact me xx

Hi jay jay

Well I've got to admit that's a bit s*** isn't it, you sound totally deflated :( I say book another appointment with him and just say the same again, this time don't leave until you've got your answers. I think this would make him be more clear in future. If anything he should be reassuring not making probs for you.
Good luck, with however you choose to proceed xx

I had exactly the same experience in that all my GP said was wait for your 12 week scan. Nothing about an 8 week booking in app. She was however very lovely, plus I didn't have any specific concerns to discuss.

I tried to get another appt but can't get one for another 2 weeks!! I friggin hate this new surgery.
I'm just going to contact the midwives myself.
Thanks for the advice everyone :) x

In some areas you don't need to go to gp just refer to MW. With your hyperemesis if you are keeping nothing down fluids or food and costanly vomiting you need your urine tested for ketones and if 3-4+ will need IV fluids and anti sickness drugs. Also they would scan you to rule out twins. Your dr should have at least done a urine dip.

In some areas you don't need to go to gp just refer to MW. With your hyperemesis if you are keeping nothing down fluids or food and costanly vomiting you need your urine tested for ketones and if 3-4+ will need IV fluids and anti sickness drugs. Also they would scan you to rule out twins. Your dr should have at least done a urine dip.

I don't have hyperemesis (yet!) But I got it pretty bad in my previous pregnancy so I'm more likely to get it this time around - joys :( x

here, the doctor doesn't even want to see you! you just book yourself a mw appt for 8 weeks and they do all the blood test and scan booking from there! and after that 8week appt you are not seen again until 16 weeks!

That's rubbish! I'd definitely try to ring the midwife direct if I were you! xxx

The two times I've told doctors I'm pregnant they basically just wanted to know I was happy to be preg and said they'd refer me. Bye bye. Doctors rarely touch patients! I even asked what I should/shouldn't eat one said I probably knew more than she did! As far as I'm concerned GPS are just a filter system and just pass on the important things and weed out the minor things. Xx.

The two times I've told doctors I'm pregnant they basically just wanted to know I was happy to be preg and said they'd refer me. Bye bye. Doctors rarely touch patients! I even asked what I should/shouldn't eat one said I probably knew more than she did! As far as I'm concerned GPS are just a filter system and just pass on the important things and weed out the minor things. Xx.

That's pretty much what happened at my last surgery, she asked if I was happy and I was referred to the community midwife.
What I'm annoyed about is that he dismissed my HG concerns, and told me I wouldn't hear anything until my 12wk scan - which I know isn't the way it goes. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back