Really swollen ankles...

flexilexi394

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Well today I have been pretty busy at work and on my feet for most of the day, and I have just had a nice bath. My ankles were really itching in the bath.

I have just got out and my god they are HUGE. Really quite swollen, but not any swelling on my actual feet or hands.

So is this just normal? I didn't get this at all with my DD but I am a lot heavier these days than I was when I had her so assumed that could be something to do with it too.

Oh the joys! xx

Could be a mixture of being on your feet today and the heat. I would keep an eye on it tho and make sure nothing else swells up. Xx

I was getting that a bit over the last month - found it best to keep them raised up higher than my hips, seemed to help... a couple of times too, my partner used the baby bath and put cold water in it for me to soak my feet and ankles in. That was bliss... haha

Thank you! Phew, I feel like I need cold on them so I will do that now, yeah I thought if I swell anywhere else I might have pre eclampsia (I think I am paranoid about it to be honest) and I really don't want that!

xx

That's what I started worrying about too, but I think it's more the heat and water retention than anything else! Plus my bp has always been spot on heheh

I had this the last few weeks of pregnancy and still have it now 9 days after giving birth. They gave me fluids in hospital during induction which made it so much worse. I am now taking a water tablet to try get rid of the excess fluid in my feet. I would say its normal, but keep an eye on your hands and face, if they start to swell or you start getting severe headaches speak to your midwife as it can signal pre-eclepcia. Swelling on its own is usually nothing to worry about though.

My hands are now swollen, itchy with water filled bubbles on them! Like when you get stung by a stinging nettle! Is this a sign?! xx

My hands are now swollen, itchy with water filled bubbles on them! Like when you get stung by a stinging nettle! Is this a sign?! xx

I think you might want to get yourself checked out. A little bit of swelling is normal but it should develop overtime not come up straight away, If you have a midwife appointment coming up mention it then but if you suddenly start feeling dizzy or getting headaches call the triage department immediately.

I think you might want to get yourself checked out. A little bit of swelling is normal but it should develop overtime not come up straight away, If you have a midwife appointment coming up mention it then but if you suddenly start feeling dizzy or getting headaches call the triage department immediately.

thank you love, I actually hounded my ex mother in law whos a midwife and she said it doesn't look like pre eclampsia because the swelling when touched doesn't actually spring back, but mine does spring back!

I am definitely going to keep an eye on it because I am so paranoid about pre eclampsia - I showed signs of it a bit at the very end of my last pregnancy! x

How is the swelling today? I think swelling is a pretty common symptom but it does always make you worry because of the possible PE link.

How is the swelling today? I think swelling is a pretty common symptom but it does always make you worry because of the possible PE link.

This exactly.

Although if you notice any other swelling like fingers etc Id deffo go see MW - wont harm perhaps phoning her.

xxxx

Nettle and/or fennel tea can help with swelling & fluid retention as it's a diuretic.

My ankles are puffy but I've had the day off today so they have gone down quite a bit and my hands have been smothered in cream and the itching has faded - can't really work out if they're puffy though. Don't think they are now!

Thanks Phoenix I will look at getting some! If this is going to be an end of pregnancy symptom for me! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back