Really impressed

Coolbeans2010

Reaction score
Just got back from our last antenatal class which was all about caring for a newborn baby. A lady came and did a demonstration on reusable eco nappies and I've been totally converted!! I was so impressed at how easy they actually are - I thought it still the case where you would have to soak things and them
just being time consuming to use but I was completely wrong!! You can get ones now where the whole nappy goes in the machine, no need for soaking just throw away the lining and put straight in machine. They come in a range of funky designs too!

Really going to consider this now - she reckons 2.5 years worth of disposable nappies would cost the average person £1600 compared with £450ish for these ones which includes electric and water costs.

Anyone else going down this route? Xx

I've definitely thought about it, think it's a great idea. I will be using disposables to begin with though, and will have them as a backup when out or with grandparents etc. Apparently they can be quite leaky for newborns, which appears to be the only downside xx

Last edited:
Ahhh thanks for the heads up leesey. We have bought lots of disposables as we never thought of this option before so good to use first off by the sounds of it and we won't waste them then. Think the others will be great when the baby is a bit older though!

We are definately going down this route, however for the first month we will be using disposables just as they are more convenient whilst getting into a routine.

I don't know why but using cloth nappies has been important to me I guess one because of saving the money but 2 because of the environment as well.

What I would say is there are a LOT of options out there as to the type of nappies you can buy, myself personally we are going with Pocket nappies, this way we don;t need to buy the liners, we are going to use the FunniBunz and Smartipants mix :) I just like the name FunniBunz haha but they do see the better.

Also it may be worth checking with your local council as some of them give you some money back towards them, I know ours gives £40 not a lot in the grand scheme but every penny counts right?

There are some good threads on this in the Alternative Parenting part of the forum :) as well as other stuff too.

ive seen these and know someone who uses them and they are brilliant.
Its just knowing what ones to get as theres soo many, any recommmnedations x

We are definitely doing cloth nappies, but like some of you have said, we might start on disposables for the first couple of weeks while we get used to it. I think they are the better choice for environmental reasons, and we will be having a second baby if we can, so as long as LO doesn't wreck them somehow, they can be used for second baby too. We will also be trying Elimination Communication to get them out of nappies ASAP. My mum did this for me when I was a baby, but nobody had given the technique a name yet, and I was out of nappies by one year old. It's all good.

The only downside is the bewildering choice of nappies. I am flummoxed.
xx

im the same as karen, ive got 10 cloth nappies to begin with and will probably get some more once ive tried them out, im gonna use disposables for the first month and im gonna introduce a potty from the start too really as my mum did that and i was out of nappies by 18 months.

im the same as karen, ive got 10 cloth nappies to begin with and will probably get some more once ive tried them out, im gonna use disposables for the first month and im gonna introduce a potty from the start too really as my mum did that and i was out of nappies by 18 months.

Ooo wow! Did she just sit you on it? (not trying to be funny just really interested) xx

Ooo wow! Did she just sit you on it? (not trying to be funny just really interested) xx

Not too far off!! Until baby learns to sit up in the potty, you can try holding them over a potty or the toilet when you think they need to wee or poo. There's a lot of info online. Read more here, for example:

http://www.nappyfreebaby.co.uk/Home

It's really interesting. Sounds like a big investment in time and attention, with a high chance of, erm, accidents but I'm going to give it a go because it seems to work for some kids. The fewer nappies I have to change and wash the better :)

x

Not too far off!! Until baby learns to sit up in the potty, you can try holding them over a potty or the toilet when you think they need to wee or poo. There's a lot of info online. Read more here, for example:

http://www.nappyfreebaby.co.uk/Home

It's really interesting. Sounds like a big investment in time and attention, with a high chance of, erm, accidents but I'm going to give it a go because it seems to work for some kids. The fewer nappies I have to change and wash the better :)

x

Sounds really interesting! I definately think it is worth a try.... thanks for the info!!xx

yeah mum said just whenever you change them or they have nappy free time to sit them on the potty, even if you have to prop them up with some pillows til they can hold themselves up. give them some toys and use potty like a seat so theyre used to it by the time they figure out what its for :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back