really freaked out by what my DD said last night

AbbyJ

Reaction score
Last night my 6 yr old daughter was getting undressed, she was stood in just her underwear when she suddenly said " I know where Sophie's tickley spot is, it's here." and pointed to her privates. I exclaimed something about that not being nice and poor dd went from grinnning happily to looking like she thought she was in trouble so I tried to hide my shock, but I was really freaked out by it. I asked her who told her that and she said that Sophie did (Sophie is a girl in her class at school). I told her that it's not nice to touch or talk about other peoples private parts and left it at that, but I'm worried..do you think this is normal or could it indicate abuse? I don't know Sophie or her parents, should I mention it to the class teacher?

Ahem it may be nth really just girls talking but I would mention it to her teacher to keep an eye on them maybe? Probably the teacher knows Sophie's personality and the family and will be able to reassure you somehow or raise any concern of she spots anything weird.

I'm sure it's nothing but it really threw me! I will have a quiet word with the teacher :)

I'm not surprised you was freaked out, it does sound a bit suspect, why would a 6 year old know that? I would definitely speak to the teacher x x

I don't want to cause trouble for the parents though if it is innocent, but i will speak to her teacher just in case. You just never know do you.the whole thing has made me really uncomfortable. I didn't know how to explain to her why it wasn't right, and I didn't like the look on her face after she told me :(

i dont like the sound of it either i'd be concerned too. But something similar freaked me out yesterday my friend (who is very intelligent btw and has a fantastic job) has taught her 20 month old to say boys have a penis and girls have vagina's and he actually says it. she put it on facebook really happy about it and i was gobsmacked. Is it just me being over the top or is that a bit wrong?

I'd mention it to the teacher too. It could all be innocent talk but its a strange thing to say.

i dont like the sound of it either i'd be concerned too. But something similar freaked me out yesterday my friend (who is very intelligent btw and has a fantastic job) has taught her 20 month old to say boys have a penis and girls have vagina's and he actually says it. she put it on facebook really happy about it and i was gobsmacked. Is it just me being over the top or is that a bit wrong?

I wonder if he actually understands what he's saying.
AJ knew early on he had a willy and mammy didnt (I dont think it was 20mths though) It then took him a while to get that all boys had willies and girls had lady bums.

my daughter knew since she was 2 that boys have willy's and girls have tuppence's but i dont think it is wright to adveriste it on facebook its wrong really wrong and for a child to know the right terms is a little weird for me.

As for your daughter i would be concerned i have asked my mother who is a SW for a childrens team, she said to tell you to tell the teacher, but just explain that its how your daughter told you and showed you and its concerned you that the other little girl knew this and was also able to teach your daughter it as well and that they should please just keep an eye on them both and for it to be meantioned to the girls parents but for yours and your daughters details to be witheld as you dont want anything coming back on you. x x x

I spoke to her teacher yesterday and told her what happened, she was a little taken aback by it but she said some little girls do find 'that spot' quite early, but she agreed it was a bit unusual and thanked me for telling her. She said she would have a little word with Sophie and also her parents, but wouldn't say who brought it to her attention.
As for the Penis & Vagina thing, that is NOT normal at all!! My little girls call theirs a wee wee, and they call their little brother's a willy, but to say anything about it on facebook is just..weird!!

I totally agree with you however I'm a teacher and we use a programme to help us teach personal and social education. In year one there is a lesson where you are suppose to teach the children the correct names penis, vagina, breast, anus. A lot of us teachers felt uneasy about it but the local authority insist that 5 and 6 year olds should know the correct termingology!

hmm, sometimes I think our education authorities are trying to do away with childhood innocence all together! It's bad enough that they start sex education at 10 years old, totally unnecessary imo, in fact I think in some cases it probably even encourages them to start early!

I think it's worth risking the little girls parents being a bit embarrassed if they're innocent because if that's not the case imagine what you could have stopped! Sounds like a very odd thing for a child to say to me.

It's alarming how young children are when they learn things nowadays. Even without fully understanding what they know. I think you did the right thing to talk to the teacher. Seems like you handled the situation really well.

Last edited:
i think you did the right thing in speaking to the teacher. In regards to not knowing what to say to your daughter, i would advise you to look up the underwear rule. we have just started to introduce this to our son as he has just started school.

Not sure why Schell has raised this particular thread as its from 2012.

It caught my eye though as my brother and sil have taught their five year old daughter willies and vaginas and that babies come out of vaginas and she told everyone at nursery when she was four!!!! I no longer speak to them.but had reservations about her spending time with my son when he starts talking. Thankfully its no longer an issue.

Wow, this is old. I wonder what came of it.

Im a bit on the fense. Anotomically we as women have vaginas, men have a penis. Its through time that these words have been sexualised and deemed not appropriate. However, I understand teaching kids the correct names, and sexual education early is only there to protect them? I myself havent instructed Jackson to call it a penis yet only because the topic hasnt arisen and if truth be told he doesnt need to know yet. When he does he will have a penis. May be odd at first but we actually should be thinking that nicknaming things for the correct anatomical name is odd. Can you imagine sitting in a consultation and your very educated consultant says, so we are just gonna have a look at your flower now? Or a brain surgeon referring to a brain as your gewy lump - Sounds odd right?

And imo, sex is happening younger and younger. Not because suddenly schools have rolled out sex ed. The reason sex ed is rolled out younger is because children are through other influences having sex now. And not that Id ever want or imagine my child having sex in primary, but if he did I would prefer he knew the risks. Too many babies are having babies. Its not the goverment or schools taking away innocense its the world and causing it is things like media, largely the internet.

Ive said my tuppence. Pun intended :lol:

xxxx

Last edited:
Haha if my gp asked me.how my tup tup was at my 6 week post partem check id be rolling on the floor in a fit of giggles. Thanks russelmuscle for that! :D

I agree, there's nothing wrong with teaching kids the right words. Buy we do have nicknames for other limbs too, like noggin, tootsies, booty, tummy etc. I also wouldn't expect a child to tell me they had bowel problems or an itchy anus either. Its all down to context.

Imo there's nothing wrong with protecting the innocence of childhood. I think its very important to be sensitive to fragile minds too. I used to ask my mum things about what kids said at school cos i thought they were so outrageous they couldn't be true but wanted to know for sure before I got laughed at and my mum would answer questions I asked about her honestly and I wish to god she'd spoken in third person or asked me why I wanted to know cos I cant tell you how scarred I am and how I had ocd and depression as a teen as a result of a number of damaging instances.

Sex education is very different to a lesson about sexual intercourse too. Totally different I just wish people could.understand that.

Haha if my gp asked me.how my tup tup was at my 6 week post partem check id be rolling on the floor in a fit of giggles. Thanks russelmuscle for that! :D

I agree, there's nothing wrong with teaching kids the right words. Buy we do have nicknames for other limbs too, like noggin, tootsies, booty, tummy etc. I also wouldn't expect a child to tell me they had bowel problems or an itchy anus either. Its all down to context.

Imo there's nothing wrong with protecting the innocence of childhood. I think its very important to be sensitive to fragile minds too. I used to ask my mum things about what kids said at school cos i thought they were so outrageous they couldn't be true but wanted to know for sure before I got laughed at and my mum would answer questions I asked about her honestly and I wish to god she'd spoken in third person or asked me why I wanted to know cos I cant tell you how scarred I am and how I had ocd and depression as a teen as a result of a number of damaging instances.

Sex education is very different to a lesson about sexual intercourse too. Totally different I just wish people could.understand that.

Yeah, we should protect innocence as much as possible. Yes we have nicknames for other things, but these things are also a bit more socially acceptable to speak freely about. I work with Drs, and maybe I am a bit desensitized because I constantly type clinic letters were the words are used correctly. It really is the world that has taken away whats appropriate, whats not, its so PC. They are actually trying to sway away from nick names for things similarly due to the reasoning for this post. To stop nick names being made up when children are being abused, names such as tickley spot etc are making things sound innocent when actually they are not.

I do think it's important for us to know what we have, and the reason we find those words inappropriate is purely because the world has over sexualized them to the point they aren't ok to use in social situations. The context of the convo is whether its appropriate for example mentioning things like itchy anus in public, that be a bit inappropriate if me you or a 70 year old says it - and we all know, kids are the most inappropriate because it takes them a while to learn their social boundaries.

I never referred to mine as a Vagina, I dont now because Im an adult and dont feel the need to share my business - but usually I will say my private area or my "good girl" now, I dont say that to the Dr, because I know thats not the word and its odd of me to rename it :lol: but I know when to use and not to use nicknames. Kids dont yet. Its confusing for them.

Sexual education is needed younger, people are all for objecting it until their child comes in either pregnant, got someone pregnant or a disease. No one wants to imagine their innocent babies having sex, but also our parents didn't imagine it and we are all here with our own babies :p

I got a taxi the other week with a man, objecting at the fact that schools are teaching sex ed and gay relationships etc in primary and how that is corrupting how innocent minds think because say 2 girl friends in school holding hands now this means your a "lesbian" I says no offense, but I think the reason we are educating them this younger is because this is the norm - and its to stop opinions like the one you gave me. He seemed to not believe a child doesnt know its sexual identity/orientation until much older. I informed him its actually as young as 2 or 3. Hense why, we need the education younger - because our older culture are of the impression different is wrong.

Slightly going of on a tangent now... Sorry!! :lol:

xxxx

Last edited:
I agree. If everyone had been taught sex ed together maybe I wouldn't have resort to asking my mum.inappropriate questions. Also, taking away the secrecy takes away the stigma and embarrassing giggles. I am all for teaching sex ed early. It also leaves less room for parents individual interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back