really bad rib pain

winnie89

Reaction score
hey girls, today and yesterday i've had a really sharp pain in my ribs on the right side but it's only on the right side left seems fine i cant bend down because it hurts and i just cant get comfortable any ideas what it may be?

could be that baby has bruised your ribs....have you had any violent kicks last couple of days? x

yeah he was really active on saturday and his kicks were quite high up

could br bruising....also may have a foot lodged in there......it happened to me a while back too. felt winded x

i dont feel winded just really uncomfortable, the joy of being pregnant! lol

:hug:

I have this too. It's not pleasant :(

nope feels like someone has punched me in the ribs xx

I've had a lot of problems with my ribs on my right hand side since 28 weeks and have got to the point that I can do very little because of the pain so I really sympathise.

I would advise mentioning it to your midwife and getting it checked out. I originally got sent to triage as pain in the right hand side of the ribcage can also be a symptom of a certain type of pre-eclampsia and liver problem. I'm sure it isn't and with me I knew it was more muscular but I felt reassured that they took the time to actually check it out.

Is the pain worse with movement or with sitting down? If it's worse with sitting etc. then it's most likely because your uterus is pushing everything into your ribcage and causing this extra pressure. This can be relived by stretching and moving and particularly by leaning onto your arms against a wall to stretch the abdomen out. Rest assured if it doesn't alleviate before it will go once the baby drops down.

If the pain is worse when moving then you are more likely to have what I've got which is costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs, and unfortunately nothing but ice packs and rest help with this and it will eventually heal but probably not until long after birth as it has very little to do with the physiology of pregnancy. Which is a bit poop and is tough but I'm trying to stay positive.

Sorry for such a long post but I've been suffering with this for a while now and I have such huge sympathy for anyone who is having the same problem. I really hope yours eases soon honey! But defo explain to your MW first of all and that it is your right hand side

:hugs:

I get like a dull ache/pins and needles feeling in my right ribcage quite a lot. Wouldn't describe it as 'painful' but it's very uncomfortable and annoying. No amount of massaging or resting takes it off either :(

Oh the joys!

I've had a lot of problems with my ribs on my right hand side since 28 weeks and have got to the point that I can do very little because of the pain so I really sympathise.

I would advise mentioning it to your midwife and getting it checked out. I originally got sent to triage as pain in the right hand side of the ribcage can also be a symptom of a certain type of pre-eclampsia and liver problem. I'm sure it isn't and with me I knew it was more muscular but I felt reassured that they took the time to actually check it out.

Is the pain worse with movement or with sitting down? If it's worse with sitting etc. then it's most likely because your uterus is pushing everything into your ribcage and causing this extra pressure. This can be relived by stretching and moving and particularly by leaning onto your arms against a wall to stretch the abdomen out. Rest assured if it doesn't alleviate before it will go once the baby drops down.

If the pain is worse when moving then you are more likely to have what I've got which is costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs, and unfortunately nothing but ice packs and rest help with this and it will eventually heal but probably not until long after birth as it has very little to do with the physiology of pregnancy. Which is a bit poop and is tough but I'm trying to stay positive.

Sorry for such a long post but I've been suffering with this for a while now and I have such huge sympathy for anyone who is having the same problem. I really hope yours eases soon honey! But defo explain to your MW first of all and that it is your right hand side

:hugs:

Aw hun :hug: sounds nasty.

Thanks for posting this though, I'm starting to get concerned about the discomfort I have under my right boob. I have it everyday at work (only at work for some reason and only when sitting down) so it has helped explain what it is to me so cheers :)

I had this too, only on the right side, felt like my rib wanted to snap, very uncomfortable, no rubbing or stretching got rid of it, must of been a growth spurt or a foot or bruising as it's settled down now!

Hope u get relief soon!! x

Awww glad I can help - and big hugs to all of you suffering with this, it's super poop!

Yep I have a foot that seems to like my right ribs. They don't feel bruised more like over flexed the wrong way.

It's ok though, I'll just get him back by spitting on a tissue and wiping his face in the playground :D xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks girls, it's not been as bad today just aches now rather than hurts I'llk deffor mention it to MW but I think he got a bit too excited and kicked me too hard! I've tried to rest as much as possible and it seems to have helped!

i have this! i went to a pregnancy physio in the hospital, and was told its called a rib flare, its the pressure of the fluid and the baby (especially if its a big one like my little 'darling') pushing your rib up and out, not much you can do, i find sitting with my arms over the back of the sofa helps, but most ppl react to heat or cold, perfect excuse for a mahoooosive bath and a lovely cold drink in my opinion
hope you feel better sweetpea xx:hugs:

Thanks girls, it's not been as bad today just aches now rather than hurts I'llk deffor mention it to MW but I think he got a bit too excited and kicked me too hard! I've tried to rest as much as possible and it seems to have helped!

If it's any comfort, it might be that your lo has turned his/her head down and is getting ready for take of! I've also had these pains and mentioned it to my mw, who found my lo with her head down!!

xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back