Reality beginning to set in..

Rachel1509

Reaction score
Been watching a lot of episodes of One Born Every Minute on 4od, and I think the labour aspect is actually beginning to sink in - that I actually have to go through it!

I know you lovely ladies can only reassure me by saying its tough and I will be fine, but what if I'm not? What if I genuinely can't cope with it? What do I do?

I want to try and do it without an epidural. I have no idea what to expect and I'm not particularly good with pain. What if I make a fool of myself at the hospital or in front of my mum and OH? :(

Pointless post really, but I'm concerned!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

They always put the most dramatic stuff on obem, remember that!
Also, I know you don't want an epi but it's there if you feel you can't cope (and they are amazing lol) xxx

i have been sayin the exact same thing to my mum and oh today, as it is really hitting home, i have only 10 wks til my due date now.
i have a bad pain threshold and people keep saying im going to be rubbish and will want all drugs going, but i want to prove them wrong and i want to be proud that i only used gas and air.
however, when i get tightnings (braxton hicks im assumin) i already feel i cant cope, so really jus gonna have to try and psych myself up , that the pain will end at some point so jus relax into it.

easier said than done lol

Hey hun..we all have these moments but this is my view from my perspective :

Basically, there will most probably one moment at a point in labour where you will turn round and say to mum/OH "I cant do this" I did with both mine...lol...BUT if you listen to the midwives, they've heard that 100 times before and will help you through it... I know everyone says its soo worth it and that you forget the pain but itt's true! The second you look into your babies eyes you will know its all been worth it!! \

I thought I had a low threshold for pain but I had my second with just a tiny bit of gas and air at the end! I think it was because I kept myself quite calm and also my sis in law was counting out loud back from ten so I just concentrated everytime I had a contraction, on her counting and I knew I only had to get to 1 before the pain subsisded :)

You will be fine hunni xxxx

My midwife told me not to watch OBEM as actual labour isn't actually like that and they pick the worst case scenarios for it. I know all we can do is say you will be fine, but I'm sure you actually will. Women have the natural ability to be able to forget what happened during labour where are men don't :) xx

Thanks for the quick replies ladies. I know that posting how worried I am won't actually help me, cos no matter what happens, I HAVE to go through it! In fact its weird because I can't wait for labour to get started cos I'm so desperate to meet my baby! But I just worry I won't cope with the pain. I know that OBEM is edited to look dramatic and more interesting, but it still shows women giving birth! I watched one the other day, a woman same age as me and she made a complete fool of herself pressing her buzzer constantly, swearing saying she couldn't cope with it, screaming etc and I just thought 'omg what if that's me!!'. I can watch it and judge and think she's making a fool of herself, but who am I to say that when I'm not yet in that situation!

I'm putting on my birth plan that I want to try my best and manage on just gas and air but could change my mind anytime and am open to other options. I've had people tell me I won't cope with it and will want every pain relief possible, so I also wanna prove these people wrong and make myself proud! To be able to say I did it without anything would be amazing.

I think I need to stop overthinking this to be honest! Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Have an open mind Hun, it is different for everyone. Ive had people tell me I'll need to have an epidural and the pain is horrific to others who have said its not so bad and it's manageable. I've even had a few people tell me they enjoyed going through it all. I'm not trying to second guess anything at the stage and keep an open mind to pain relief and options.

I've stopped watching those programmes because I've seen too many of them where things go wrong for my liking. I don't think your usual, quick straightforward labours make good TV like you say and that's what the majority are like.

Try not to worry about it xx

Hunny that's what your mw is for she's there to talk you through your concerns and any worries you have don't panic babe you will do fine and what ever you decide to do us right for you at the time xxx

I think we're all feeling a bit the same. I quite like watching OBEM etc, sometimes - but you just have to remember they dont put the easy/normal births on there - cos it wouldnt make for good tv.

One of my friends told me the other night, that she remembers getting to the point where she was saying - if it stays like this i'll cope, but if it gets worse i have no chance - and the doc said that means your nearly finished! - and she was.

You just need to remember that everyone's different, and the midwives have seen it all before. As long as you keep an open mind and listen to the midwife, you'll be fine. (thats my plan. lol)

xxx

I was petrified of going into labour and watching obem really didn't help me at all but after going into hospital last night for a check up and sitting in a room similar to one I'll actually be giving birth in in a few days and just relaxing and taking in the surroundings, i actually feel a lot more relaxed about it all and feel like I can cope.

At 29 weeks I went for a tour of the birth centre and ended up having a panic attack and crying hysterically and me and OH ended up leaving after just 15 minutes. I then spent the next hour crying my eyes out in the car wondering why I've put myself in this position but as its got closer to my due date I've got more sick of the pains than anything and I'm quite looking forward to it all being over!

I think it will definitely get better as you get closer as I've found that the want of it to all actually start is greater than the fear of the pain.

Omg I was terrified of the following things

The pain
Something goig wrong with baby
Being cut
Tearing
Forceps

Lol all of this happened and it wasn't half as bad as I had in my head! It wasn't an ideal birth obv but I did it and a week on feel pretty human just a bit sore sometimes where my stitches r !

Ur body is made to do this remember x

I just look at the women after the baby is put in their arms that's the important bit not the pain that's temporary.

* tapatalking from my bb *

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back