Ready brek

Babygiz

Reaction score
Hi

My hv recommended to me yesterday that I give my 6 month old son ready brek and weetabix now as we have been weaning for a few weeks now. My query is how much do I give him and is it best made with his formula? The instructions on the packet are adults portions but not sure for a baby.

Also does anyone have any other suggestions for breakfast we have used the baby porridge with fruit purée but wanting to introduce different things.

I'm finding weaning quite difficult as the hv said I need to get him to solids quickly but I'm not a great cook and prefer to cook my own stuff than buy the jars for cost reasons.

Thanks

Last edited:
You can make it with either. They are allowed cows milk in food after 6mths so we use that. Just make the same amount you'd give him of baby porridge or start him off on one wheatabix. Have you tried him with toast? What ever my ds has he has a slice of toast with it - most ends up in the floor tho!

As for cooking ideas - the Annabel Karmel book is excellent for recipes, they're not difficult so you don't have to be a great cook!

xx

Thanks for the info do you put marg on it and cut up into bits ??

Breakfast is Bs favourite meal of the day so we try lots of different combinations -

He has one of these:
Toast
Fruit toast
Waffles
Crumpets
Pancakes

With one of these:
Porridge -(we use Quaker oats)
Weetabix
Cereal such as Cheerios
Scrambled egg
Boiled eggs

And if he's really hungry then a bit of fruit such as

Grapes
Banana
Melon
Blueberries.

Always used cows milk from 6months but if he's used to formula you could try mixing half and half?
With portions I would do 1 Weetabix and with porridge I always did B half a pouch which is about 3/4 table spoonfuls. He started eating a full adult portion from about 10 months.

Also I sometimes do toast with jam or honey.

I'm also a terrible cook (which is why I married a chef)!
But I found weaning fun, I always gave finger food at every meal time bug also did something like cheesy sweet potato mash that I could help B with as it reassured me he was eating.

Foods like sweet potato are great as you can make fries out of them as a finger food - just cook until soft in boiling water then fry in butter, the rest I use as mash or as a topping to a shepherds pie.
Avacado is good as it can be a finger food or mashed.

Sorry I've waffled! X

Thanks for the info do you put marg on it and cut up into bits ??

Yes, I just put a little marg on and cut it into fingers. Might try him with pancakes when I get time to make them! x

I tried toast fingers this morning with him, he thought you had to put it all in his mouth until I should him that it's just to chew on. I'm not sure he liked it but I'm going to keep giving him it to see what happens we have only been me ranting for 3 weeks so I'm thinking it might be a bit early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back