Raspberry Leaf tea

I just wanted to know a bit more about it as I have heard conflicting idea's. Some poeple say to drink it as it helps to prepare you uterus, some say drink it as it encourages 'positive' Braxton hicks to become contractions, and some just say it starts labour?! :shock:

Which is it? I'm all for preparing my uterus and making it stronger for pushing etc, but the last one is not what I need right now - not yet anyway! Please help me get my little pregnancy clouded brain round this one :lol:

Hi Sami...
I bought some the other day and then decided to discuss it with my midwife first. She told me that I should only be taking it from 34 weeks. Starting with one cup a day for the first week and upping it from there (max 3 cups a day). I also found out that it prepares the uterus for the 2nd stage of labour - making it a faster/quicker stage. I don't think that it brings on contractions - you really should discuss it with your caregiver first. If you're prone to premature labour, I think you should leave it for now. With my previous child, the 2nd stage was very quick, therefor, midwife not too keen on me taking raspberry leaf. I'm going to play it by ear - seeing her again tomorrow. Still having period-like cramps, but not too concerned. Don't want to drink the stuff now, just in case!
Hope this bit of info helps????? :? :?
Emilia xx

Thats helps lots more thankyou. I will speak to midwife and not planning on drinking any till after 32 weeks, was just if it prepared my uterus etc that I was keen to try it.
Thanks Emilia.

Hi Sami

Well, I had never heard about it until this pregnancy but read up a fair amount and what Emilia has said about not starting until 34 weeks is what I had read too. I have started taking it in the past week, and had one cup a day gradually increasing to 3 a day. Its actually not too bad once you get used to it, and I would suggest to anyone to chuck a spoonful of sugar into make it more palitable.

I dont know whether or not this is a conincidence with me but my Braxton Hicks Contractions have got much much stronger the last few days, although this might be because Ive only got 13 days left..so obviously baby could come at any time. Last night I was totally convinced that "this was it" but Im still here today !!!

Will let you know via Text if things start !! <gg>

Ragna xxxx

Good good!! Keep me on your text list if things happen mate. Can't wait to hear when this little one is born.
Read about it on another thread - can't believe you did all the ironing - you nutter :lol:

Hi Sami, I don't really have anything new to add, but I got in touch with the midwife online sevice that has been mentioned a few times on here and basically got the same mesage, not to use it before 34 weeks at least and to take it very slowly. Wwill be seeing my midwife in a bit so will ask her what it is for?

Hi Sami, I don't really have anything new to add, but I got in touch with the midwife online sevice that has been mentioned a few times on here and basically got the same mesage, not to use it before 34 weeks at least and to take it very slowly. Wwill be seeing my midwife in a bit so will ask her what it is for?

Ragna - good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Have no idea why I posted 2 different messages. Sami I have spoken with my midwife, and she says that the tea helps you to strengthen your uterus for a shorter 2nd stage labour but can also soften your cervix. She said that 35/36 weeks is the best time to take it and to get tablets as the tea is apparently minging.

Are the tablets stronger or the same as the tea?
Last time I had the tea but hated it, so this time I'm only on the tablets, I have 3 a day of the 400mg. Haven't really got a clue what that means though LOL

beanie said:
Have no idea why I posted 2 different messages. Sami I have spoken with my midwife, and she says that the tea helps you to strengthen your uterus for a shorter 2nd stage labour but can also soften your cervix. She said that 35/36 weeks is the best time to take it and to get tablets as the tea is apparently minging.

Better stay away from that then if it softens it - mine is already soft. :( Maybe if I get to about 36 weeks I'll give it a go as it will be much safer for me.

Thank you for asking her though.

Just a little advice I read.....
Add honey and lemon to raspberry leaf for a refreshing taste. Can be brewed and kept chilled in fridge for a quick drink.
Happy sipping!!!
Emilia xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back