Raspberry leaf tea/capsules & EPO

Slb24

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone is taking raspberry leaf tea/capsules or evening primrose oil?

When do you start taking them? There's a lot of differing advice online.

Any previous experience of whether they worked?

Thanks xx

I drank RL tea with DD but I found it gave me super strong and long BH contractions so I stopped taking it and took it again when I was 41 weeks. I went into labour the same day. They say it doesn't start labour but I wonder if it helped in my case as it seemed to have a strong effect on me. I drank it after the birth too when my uterus was slow getting back to size and it gave me after pains which I hadn't had otherwise.

Thank you :)
I've been reading online to start at 32. Other places say start at 36.
Hmm.. I think I would be nervous now taking it at 32 Incase it brought on labour :/ everything I've read says it's just meant to help the cervix soften. I want something to help soften my cervix ready for sweeps at 36+6. Xx

Hi.
I tried raspberry leaf tea in my first pregnancy and I thought it was disgusting..I'm not much of a fruity tea drinker! I'm sure I read somewhere that you can only drink it in the later stages of pregnancy as it causes the uterus to contract??? Or have I just made that up..lol! I might try it again at the end of this pregnancy if I get desperate! Xx

I think for most people it is fine to take it from 32 weeks as it is not supposed to induce labour, just get your body prepared for it. I don't think it would actually have started labour before I was ready but I wonder if it did help to kick start things one I was ready. As I seem super sensitive to the effects I don't think I'd personally take it before 37 weeks but its probably okay earlier, thats just me.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. Amy you can buy the raspberry leaf capsules rather than drink the tea.
I'm hoping I can try a mixture of the two.
I might just try one at 32 weeks and see what happens. I've read your not meant to use it towards the end of pregnancy as it can bring on strong contractions when your not ready. That might be why it brought your labour on so quickly lol xx

RLT is supposed to tone the uterus giving you more effective contractions when you do go into Labour. I used it last pregnancy and once I was in established Labour it was quick ish and I only pushed a few times.
EPO is for softening the cx, again I used this last time (vaginally). Since last time I've read many articles linking its use to pre Labour rupture of membranes which is exactly what happened to me. I ended up being induced and the experience wasn't pleasant and one I really don't want to repeat so will definitely not be using it this time xx

Last edited:
I have just read online that you shouldn't take raspberry leaf tea if you have had a previous c-section...I guess I won't be having any in this pregnancy then! Xx

Thanks ladies. Speak to your midwife Amy.
Mine has advised me to take it. I'm trying for a vbac.
Il defiantly not take EPO too early then. Thanks so obsessed xc

I took it did nothing. I know the ladies in my class took everything and still went overdue. I think it will happen when it happens.

Raspberry leaf tea isn't meant to bring forward labour, it is meant to prepare uterus for a more efficient pushing stage. 7 out of 8 of my nct group took it and we had pushing stages of 30 mins or less compared to the remaining ladies 2 hours! I don't know if it's coincidence but enough to make me drink again this pregnancy.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back