random question for squig or other clever peeps

trixipaws

Reaction score
i was just eating butterkist microwave popcorn (mmmm yummy!) and i wondered why the little balls turn into the funny foamy shapes? oh and also is each shape unique (like snowflakes i believe!)?
sorry i kno thats 2 questions technically lol

hehe told u it was random

trixipaws said:
i wondered why the little balls turn into the funny foamy shapes?

Balls??? Foam???

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Incidently, its to do with the high temp making the inside get steamy.. it builds up and up inside the "ball" (or kernel for normal people ;)) till it goes pop and makes a "funny foamy shape" :lol:

lol thanku my curiosity is satisfied now!

OMG breeding popcorn... makes it sound like some genetic experiment.. :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry was watching I am Legend last night ... but it appears all your popcorn related queries have been answered.... but it wasn't very graphically appealing... so heres a little diagram for you.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

PopcornAbout2a.jpg

Each popcorn kernal is individual like a snow flake... studies were carried out in the US (where else :roll: ) where the conditions of the kernal were kept the same, they were from the same plant, and the density of the shell, % of the endosperm were all within set parameters... and they still popped and produced different shapes and sizes... :)

Its the endosperm bit that has me giggling like Bevis and Butthead... :rotfl: :rotfl: heating, endosperm, explosion.. he he he.. :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry I've not had much sleep...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back