Random Question About Ovulation

babywishes14

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not a regular poster on here but I am always viewing when I get time.

I have a very random and silly question which I don't know the answer to!

Do you have to ovulate in order to have a period?

The reason I ask is that I had a blighted ovum back in August last year & didn't get a period until two weeks ago!!! Yes that's a long time I know!
Doctor had just referred me for a scan to check for PCOS!

So just wondering if my body had stopped ovulating during this time hence no periods?

Ahhhh well the answer to this is no you don't have to ovulate to have a period. Sometimes - particularly in pcos an LH surge can be detected but no follicle released, then period still comes. My doc told me this the other day. X

I'm going to disagree and say that yes, you need to ovulate for a period to occur.

When you ovulate, the remaining follicle is what causes the progesterone increase that thickens the lining and it is that lining that comes out as a period.

No ovulation, no progesterone, no lining, no period.

Sometimes the body sheds its lining naturally , this is what gives to the longer cycles. I didnt ovulate at all and blood tests confirmed this but i still had a bleed. Its not a period as such its a shed x

Thank you for the replies ladies, why is reproduction & women's bodies so complicated!!!!

I think PCOS is the exception though because what happens is, instead of ovulating - we prepare to ovulate but instead just a naff follicle is there and does not get released properly. this has happened to me a number of times. I still bleed and I still have an LH surge but the egg never makes it out. And on those cycles I never get a temp rise. :eek:(

Its actually happening to me at the moment on clomid. I had the LH surge but no ovulation. So probably what happened is my follicle was reabsorbed. I now only have little rubbishy follicles there but my lining is still increasing.

Bloody PCOS its such a pain in the neck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back