Random Question About Ovulation

Discussion in 'Long Term TTC & Fertility Issues' started by babywishes14, Feb 7, 2012.

1. babywishes14

babywishes14 Active Member

Hi all,

I'm not a regular poster on here but I am always viewing when I get time.

I have a very random and silly question which I don't know the answer to!

Do you have to ovulate in order to have a period?

The reason I ask is that I had a blighted ovum back in August last year & didn't get a period until two weeks ago!!! Yes that's a long time I know!
    Doctor had just referred me for a scan to check for PCOS!

So just wondering if my body had stopped ovulating during this time hence no periods?

2. Lara_M

Lara_M Well-Known Member

Ahhhh well the answer to this is no you don't have to ovulate to have a period. Sometimes - particularly in pcos an LH surge can be detected but no follicle released, then period still comes. My doc told me this the other day. X

3. LouiseB

LouiseB Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree and say that yes, you need to ovulate for a period to occur.

When you ovulate, the remaining follicle is what causes the progesterone increase that thickens the lining and it is that lining that comes out as a period.

No ovulation, no progesterone, no lining, no period.

4. kirstymichelle

kirstymichelle Well-Known Member

Sometimes the body sheds its lining naturally , this is what gives to the longer cycles. I didnt ovulate at all and blood tests confirmed this but i still had a bleed. Its not a period as such its a shed x

5. babywishes14

babywishes14 Active Member

Thank you for the replies ladies, why is reproduction & women's bodies so complicated!!!!

6. Lara_M

Lara_M Well-Known Member

I think PCOS is the exception though because what happens is, instead of ovulating - we prepare to ovulate but instead just a naff follicle is there and does not get released properly. this has happened to me a number of times. I still bleed and I still have an LH surge but the egg never makes it out. And on those cycles I never get a temp rise. :eek:(

Its actually happening to me at the moment on clomid. I had the LH surge but no ovulation. So probably what happened is my follicle was reabsorbed. I now only have little rubbishy follicles there but my lining is still increasing.

Bloody PCOS its such a pain in the neck x