Questions for mums

Kelly450

Reaction score
Hi ladies. Im trying to work out finances lately.
Im just wondering how much you are spending each month on the baby?
For the essentials really.

Ive no idea what sorta cost ill be looking at xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

I breast feed so this doesn't include formula milk.
We go through quite a lot of nappies and get Huggies for £1 from Iceland, so probably £2 a week on wipes. We get 1 box of nappies for £12 or 2 for £20 and they probably last 2 weeks or a bit less. A pot of sudo cream for £3.50 which lasts forever. That's about it really. About every 3 months you buy more baby cloths as lo grows out of them so quick. Apart from that, that's it really. So say £48 a month?! Well that's for us anyway. Xxx
And if you bath regularly about £1.50 for bath bubbles.

Last edited:
Thank you. Thats less than I thought. Im going to try BF too. I thought nappies would end up being much more expensive. But thats less than I thought also.
Sounds good to me.
Thanks for the help xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Essentials in first 6 months - bodysuits, sleepsuits, couple of hats, cardis or snowsuits. Nappies, wipes. If you shop around, you dont have to spend much. I get nappies from Amazon mostly or on special offers. I use huggies wipes and i can get them for 6 pounds for 8 packets or sometimes 5 pounds for 8 packets.
So take at most £6 on wipes and about £20 on nappies(if you shop around)
Little bits like sudocrem dont cost a lot and you can get baby paracetamol, saline drops etc on.minor ailment scheme for free - pharmacist will have details.
I dont use anything in a bath except oilatum which i get on prescription.
After you wean, cost goes up a bit.
Plus factor in more washing powder/stain remover etc.
I dont buy formula milk too but believe its quite a lot - £ 10 per tub?

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

For formula and nappies I spend about £50 a month. We do use lots of milk now, a tub lasts about 5 days but in the beginning it lasted ages.
I was really naive and thought I'd be able to breastfeed so didn't buy anything as a back up and that's where the cost mounted up!
Bottles, steriliser etc...
I also signed up to loads of websites, for example all supermarkets and boots have baby clubs and regularly send money off vouchers, same with pampers and other baby products.

Thanks ladies. I always imagined the outgoings each month would be more than the child benefit! We have brought a selection of wipes already. Some not to be used straight away but if for any reason we can not use them for baby, i can use them as i love baby wipes :)

Also, we have brought a few nappies to hopefully last a while.

And, as for the bottles, we have a fair few actually. We were thinking of BF and formula. But the bottle will always come in handy anyway.
Might have to keep doubling up my vouchers on baby stuff everytime that comes round to help with costs xx

On a weekly basis I spend a tenner on nappies and 2.50 on cotton wool (don't use wipes). That's the only expense I have. Then I buy her clothes as and when needed, but I get a lot of stuff bought for her (generous grandparents). If I'm honest about it, so far at 4 months in its been a lot cheaper than I expected!

At 7 months old my outgoings per week are now:
Nappies £5
Wipes £2
Formula £14 (more expensive than average as its lactose free)
Food for weening £7
We don't use any sort of bath stuff as it makes his exema worse so we have a prescription for creams. We do however do a shit load more washing so the cost of wash powder etc has almost doubled (how such tiny people make so much mess I will never understand!). Calpol, teething gel etc is reasonably cheap and lasts for ages x

I spend £20 a month on nappies £10.00 on wipes . She eats more or less what we eat so that just comes out of my shopping money plus she drinks cows milk so again out the shopping budget . What's left out her child benefit I use towards buying her clothes etc x

I spend around £60 per month. That's £40 on aptimal formula and £20 on pampers nappies.
I buy bepanthan nappy cream as and when and johnsons baby bath when needed xx

My LO is 9 months old & these are our outgoings:
Nappies - £7 a week
Wipes - £2 a week
Formula - £5 a week
Fresh fruit/snacks etc - £8 a week

About £90 per month?
Then we buy bath stuff, sudocrem, medicines etc as and when needed.
Oh and not forgetting clothes every few months! I probably go a bit OTT on the clothes front lol but I spend a couple of hundred every few months (he grows out of them far too quickly! :lol:)

xx

At birth LO cost us a pack of nappies and wipes a week plus £10 formula, 2 bottles of infacol a week at £2.50 each. Budget for needing different types of bottles incase of colic (in our case making the switch to dr browns bottles) and other remedies such as colief at £10 for a tiny bottle!!!

I'm spending a lot less money now I'm on mat leave. But do be prepared for everything, incase there are problems with breast feeding or colic etc. As said above colief isn't cheap! Shop around, buy things when on offer etc and you'll be fine. Ask for practical stuff as presents. We got loads of baby hamper type things with bath stuff, lotion etc so haven't bought anything like that. Also buy clothes from primark and supermarkets. Also sign up to all the baby clubs for offers and your extra points at boots (although I made the mistake of telling my OH about them and now the points have to be spent on baby rather than me! Boo!)

Things like colief and infacol are available on the 'minor ailments scheme' so it is worth looking into. You van alao get sudacream, calpol etc on the scheme. Not all health authorities do this though and I know there is regional differences.

I spend £5 on nappies per week £3 on wipes and around £8 for weaning foods. This will change soon as ive been buying ellas pouches due to moving house and renovating so its been godsend but she will be eating what I eat just shortly. My girls formula is on prescription so that saves about £10 per week too.

As for clothes, I hardly buy anything. She gets spoilt by her granny and theres nothing left for mummy to buy! Xx

tapatalking

About £30 a week on baby I'd say including formula and nappies.

Used to be a lot more as I was using cartons of formula (I'd stockpiled but if I was buying weekly that would have been £35 per week alone!!)

xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back