Questions about feeding routine and tummy time

babsi

Reaction score
Went to the doctors's yesterday and Kai is doing really well, he is 10lbs 14oz, 3 weeks ago he was 9lbs 4oz so he is gaining just over an ounce a day.

I spoke to the doctor about changing the feeding routine, about cutting the feeds down to 7 a day, he said this is fine, I then said about having 1 feed at midnight and then another at 6 in the morning, he said to try it but doesn't think it will work. What we plan to do is this:

Midnight - 5oz
6 - 4oz
9 - 5oz
12 - 4oz
3 - 5oz
6 - 4oz
9 - 5oz

We are currently feeding Kai 8 feeds at 4oz's each, we plan to cut one out and increase 4 feeds to 5oz's which we think Kai is fine with. We don't need to increase the overall amount as Kai is gaining weight really well. Will this work, or is the 6 hours stretch too long for him?

Also, the doctor said we should give Kai tummy time now, something I thought was a little later on, and I forgot to ask about how long a day we should do this for, any ideas?

Sorry to sound thick but what is tummy time?? :oops:

When you lie them on their tum, I think it helps with neck and head control :)

i couldn't put ewan on his tummy as he would scream blue murder - tolerates it now for about 3 mins then screams!

Seren hates it too, cries after about a minute of tummy time. She prefers to sit up and look around, can do it wiothout a wobbly head now but I am worried she isn't getting enough tummy time. It is good to know that my baby isn't the only tummy hater x

Rubie absolutely LOVES lying on her tummy :D

My mum said I did as a baby too

Seren and Thomas should meet up, they are quite alike lol He does not like tummy time :(

Kim said:
Rubie absolutely LOVES lying on her tummy :D

My mum said I did as a baby too

so does Damien and he sleeps on his tummy sometimes too.

I feed Damien the same as you do with Kai Babsi, but got told I feed him too much!! Grrrr. Go with what you feel happy with hun. You can only try and see how it works x

Tummy time isn't working out too well but hopefully he will get used to it, just going to try a few minutes a day and see how it works out.

Sami, my doctor said that Kai's weight gain is near enough perfect and we were feeding him 8 times a day @ 4oz's. He is still having the same 32oz's a day but with 7 feeds now and 4 @ 5 oz's. With the 2 5oz feed he has had today he has been fine, and probably could have had 6oz. We are really lucky with Kai, he has been in a routine now since week 1 and it really has worked well. He never screams for food and we never have to feed him in between. He has his grumpy moments of course but not related to feeding. Also after a bad time at the hospital with nurses I only trust now what a doctor tells me because Kai has problems with pooing, he doesn't poo that much with is probably down to the formula, nurses make out it is serious but the 2 different doctors didn't seem to see a problem with it, if after 5 days he hasn't pooed give him a suppository, which luckily we haven't had to do yet. And that is just one example, another one made out that his jaundice was really bad at 5 days and we should go the hospital, we did and the doctor couldn't see a problem at all.

I forgot to mention about the new routine. Kai had his feed at midnight of 5oz's and took it really well, and woke up at around 5.30 and I fed him 4oz's but I should have given him 5oz's which I will do in future as he was grumpy around 8.45 so I gave him 5oz then.

Very happy that the routine seems to be working out so far, and hopefully when he is 2 months he will sleep a little longer.

The routine hasn't worked out :( Kai can't take 5oz's he is sick now every time he has that amount. So we decided to give up on it yesterday. Gone back to feeding him every 3 hours and a 4 hour gap in the night. Might decide to go to 7 feeds of 4.5oz's next week.

I am lucky though to have a husband who does the midnight/1 feed as he is up at that time otherwise I would be a complete mess with no sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back