Question for those BLW mummies...

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
Initially, I wanted to do BLW with Poppy. But the more I thought about it and read up about it I changed my mind, for a few different reasons.

I'm just wondering, those mummies who do BLW with their LO's and say it's the best thing they've done, why do you say that? What is it about BLW that is so brilliant compared to non baby led weaning? I'm interested and might end up changing my mind (she's had a couple of days of pureed food so far).. :)

I did BLW because I wanted to wait for my sons digestive system to be developed enough to handle food and as this is around 6 months he didn't need purees when we started weaning. Also feeding a baby purees teaches them to swallow before they learn to chew, something that can lead to choking when actual solid food is introduced, as I wasn't comfortable with this I decided with my DH that BLW was the way for us. It worked so fantastically for us and I would do it this way every time if possible. We were able to give DS exactly what we were having, he was able to feed himself and we were all able to get on with having our meals together as a family. It was an amazing, positive experience! The BLW book by Gill Rapley was very very informative and helped me to understand why manufacturers are able to put 'from 4 months' on food products amongst many other things. I wanted to do the best for my son and this way was best for us. You will do whichever way you feel is best for you and your family. Enjoy whichever way you chose.

We are about 2 weeks into our BLW journey and it's slow going. There are days where he won't even look at the food I offer but then there are others where he shows an interest in everything.
I'm really enjoying seeing the faces he pulls when he puts some food to his mouth and he seems to be enjoying it too. He always giggles and smiles during meal times regardless of whether he eats anything or not. It is difficult not to put food by his mouth and on speaking to my HV we have decided to mix BLW and TW. I offer LO the same food as we have, but if I give him a yoghurt I give him it on a spoon for the most part so I know he's got some food in him. I also offer him a loaded spoon but he can't quite manage to get that to his mouth yet!!
A friend of mine decided to do TW so she knew her baby was getting some food as with BLW you've got to be patient and trust that your baby will eat when they are ready to.
I also have the BLW book that was recommended above and can't recommend it enough. Maybe see if your library has a copy so you can read up on BLW to help you make your mind up.

The reason I love blw is seeing Owen figuring out how to eat things. He has learnt that slippery things need to be held gently and small things need to be picked up with thumb and finger. You can literally see him learning every day. That's something you definetly won't get with tw

The learning part of it is my favourite - Lily managed to pick up halved grapes and eat them today, it was amazing! She's not quite got the pincer grip yet though so the blueberries just got batted off her tray hehe. And the fact that she is totally in control of what she's trying and can recognise her favourites already.

I also love that me and her eat the same things at the same time, no having to spoon feed her something different. Another thing I appreciate is that she gags quite a bit and has 'choked' once so far (it took her a couple of coughs to get the food out, but she managed herself) but it doesn't bother her at all and is just what she's used to and is learning from it, whereas I think with TW this doesn't happen which sometimes creates a few problems when moving through the stages. It's not for everyone though - my friend watched us and was too put off by the mess, and couldn't handle not knowing how much her son was eating so she's already decided she's going to do TW. Horses for courses n all that!

Thanks for the replies. I actually now can't decide what to do! I think I'll buy the book to help me come to a decision. Dreading tomorrow - all the relatives telling me she's ready for weaning (I did start with TW but she just didn't seem quite ready to me so I stopped). OH has already mentioned to his mum we were thinking of BLW so no doubt every single person will be telling I shouldn't do it and it sounds a bit 'hippy' over christmas dinner! Grrrr :banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back