Question about when baby is born

Steveohim

Reaction score
What happens when the baby is born, my wife was telling me there are injections the baby is supposed to have for one reason or another but she is adamant that our baby won't be having them. Do other people opt out of having these?

Are you in the U.K. Or us?

They give the vitamin k shot to reduce the chance of haemorrhage so in case of forceps delivery it would be advised to go for the shot opposed to the drops as the vitamin k is also available for oral drops. Then I know in the us they give the hep b and anti biotic ointment on the eyes after birth and I'm not sure if it's right after the birth or soon after they offer the tbc shot to babies whom are in risk categories.

And yes some people opt out of them. In the us they give you more hassle than in the uk.

U.K. Just offers vitamin k shot at birth but if she feels uncomfortable with the shot she can let the midwife know and add to her birth notes that she wishes the baby has the oral drops.
People at high risk are still offered the tbc shot and I believe the hep b too at birth but this is very rare. If this has been advised please contact your family gp, midwife or vaccination nurse to discuss this further. Vaccines are not mandatory in the uk but they will be recommended at birth in certain circumstances like the tbc shot is offered when there are ties to countries that still have a high tbc occurrence. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back