Question about labour?

ella

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I was at my first anti-natal class last night at the hospital I am attending in Belfast. The midwife said - if your waters break - you have to go to hospital and stay there until your baby is born. Even if you have not had one contraction and it takes 3 days, and be admitted to the anti-natal ward, now she was talking about normal full term labour. I really only wanted to go in when I had to.

Is it the same for you girls??

Thanks

I start my classes in a weeks time so I don't know what the policy is at my hospital but I think it's because of the risk of infection as once the protective sac of fluid around the baby has broken germs can easily penetrate...I think this is also the reason why you shouldn't have a bath after your waters break...

...but i could be completely wrong here!!!

Yes she did mention it was due to risk of infection - but I think this risk must be higher in hospital than at home.

As far as I understand, if your waters break and you haven't had any contractions after 48 hours, you should go in because by then you are open to infection. My hospital told me to call them when they broke and then to go in when my contractions are 3 minutes apart, or 48 hours after waters breaking if no contractions.

Hope that helps.

Either way I think you should call the hospital when they break just to let them know. I had 3 minute contractions long before my waters broke anyway so mine broke in hospital as I was there already :)

leckershell said:
My hospital told me to call them when they broke and then to go in when my contractions are 3 minutes apart, or 48 hours after waters breaking if no contractions.

This Is Exactly My "Birth Plan" Lol :) I'll Tell Them When My Waters Break But Other Than That They Wont Be Seeing Me Until My Contractions Are 3-5 Mins Apart.

On Another Note.. I Only Just Found Out That I Was Supposed To Book My Ante-Natal Classes 9 Weeks Ago So I Doubt I'll Be Going To Any. Ooops

If your water's break and you've had no contractions over the next 24/48 hours then you need to have labour induced... for one it means the protective bubble your baby has been living in is open, and two the amniotic fluid is a vital part to your babies digestive/respiratory system as well as cushioning it from general knocks and bumps.

You only need to go to the hospital because they need to induce you rather than because its to prevent infection.

i've been told to call them when anything happens-any sight of blood, waters break etc.

They said they will want me in then for a check over and then send me home until the contractions are 5min apart.

Guess everywhere is different.

I don't plan to go in until I can't take the pain any more.. then I'll go. But tbh you're better off at home for the first part than sitting in a labour ward. It's incredibly boring and antiseptic....You have no freedom of movement and you are kinda scared. So if you go in and get sent home don't see it as a bad thing.. :) :hug:

Yeah that was my plan, stay at home until the contractions are regular etc. but now DH knows im supposed to go in and stay in if my waters break first, ill have to try and keep it a secret :roll:

My hospital is the same, if your waters break you have to go straight in, to be induced within 24/48 hrs. To prevent infection and protect baby from any damage that could be caused due to no fluid ect......

With my DD my waters broke at 32 weeks so of course I had to go in. I stayed in there (& had steroids) until 9 days later I was developing infection, baby in distress etc. and was induced. All the while my waters were leaking at a constant rate but was told the body replenishes the fluids and the baby always had plenty of fluid to swim aroud in. They scanned me every couple of days.

I was told to phone labour ward when my contractions were 5 mins apart lasting one minute - they would then send out a midwife to assess me. Nothing mentioned about waters.

Ooooh how things can change! :rotfl:

ive been to consultant today and he said as soon as waters break to go straight in :( he said if baby's head isnt engaged (mine isnt and not likely too) then it can be a problem but not as much if baby is ready engaged, so maybe it depends on each women :?

i think your probably worrying yourself without need, a lot of ladies waters dont break until they are in labour so try not to worry yourself over having to go into hospital if they go, even if they do go likelyhood is you'll be in labour at time or soon to be. :hug:

My waters went on the Tuesday night but I didn't go to hospital until the Friday afternoon, think NICE guidelines are 96hrs from waters breaking to time to get LO out, but you should let your hospital know when your waters break :) Besides, its worth asking yourself if you're more likely to get an infection at home or on a hospital ward. They said I had a raised cell count which suggested infection, neither Isaac or I had an infection. They can't make you stay, or do anything you don't want, AIMS is a good site for un-biased factual evidence, link in my sig, very best wishes :hug:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/l ... rlyexpert/

annem said:
i've been told to call them when anything happens-any sight of blood, waters break etc.

They said they will want me in then for a check over and then send me home until the contractions are 5min apart.

Guess everywhere is different.

mine have said that too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back