Protecting Our Children - Channel 2

Bee7

Reaction score
Is anyone watching this? I'm literally sat here in disbelief. I don't want to be accused of 'judging' anyone and i know some people do have problems and issues in their life, but it seriously bugs me that they can behave this way when they have babies on the way and they get all of this help from public funding! The guy has had 7 kids taken off him and put into care yet he still continues to drink and has a vicious dog that he trains to attack people! I'm gobsmacked.

Have so much sympathy for the professionals that have to deal with these people and make the decision on whether they should be allowed to keep their babies x

I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I knew it would send my bp sky high. lol

It's shocking!!!! At least the professionals are stepping in and protecting the child. I don't think I could do that job I'd prob just get really angry or upset.

The little boy was so beautiful, imso pleased he wasn't effected by her OD or alcohol consumption. How she can still turn to alcohol when she looks at him I have no idea!!
Although there was no mention of alcohol counselling or support for her, an addict can't just give upthat easy xx

It was indeed shocking, and the thing is now she has gone back to Shaun, the cycle will repeat itself once again... At more expense to the tax payer, and risking harm to another new little life. So so sad. :(

I felt sorry for her, she didn't seem to have a clue what was going on sometimes. He on the other hand just wound me up. Came across like a total yob and couldn't believe that security had to be present whenever the social workers had to go round. How much would all of that cost?! Just wish they would stop creating lives that they clearly can't be responsible for. So unfair on the poor baby(s)

:( x

its a nightmare. unfortunatley they are likely to be 2nd/3rd generation of the family who have lived ths way and therefore think it is perfectly normal. i have no problem with those who want and try to get out of that situation and break the cycle but their attitude does bug me at times. what also bugs me is that because of people like that we are all now presumed to be 'a risk' should the slightest thing goes wrong when there are so many families out there doing great jobs. rather than thinking the best first and worst later. I take my hat off to the professionals who deal with this day in day out.

It seemed to me she was pretty much under his control, apart from the time she managed to get away from him for 5 weeks with the baby. She admitted she doesn't need to drink unless he is drinking which tells me it's choice not addiction. I did in a way feel sorry for her.. it seemed to me she wasn't quite all there if you know what i mean.

thanks for havin sympathy for us social workers, very much appreciated! pre birth assessments are always hard, but so important.
Time will tell if that little boy has foetal alcohol syndrome, hard to diagnose at such a small age. Hope he doesnt.

Vampy, I could never decide whether I wanted to teach or go into social work. Since becomming a teacher I am soooo happy that I didn't choose your path. How you do such an emotionally draining job is beyond me! Any time I have come across a child protection moment I have always ended up coming home in tears!

My hat comes right off to you! It must be so tough!!! Xxxx

Totally agree - social workers have such a tough job... It said at the end of the programme that the social worker was off sick for two weeks. No wonder - the stress and emotional upset must be enormous. Can't imagine being able to do that job - takes a very special sort of person. Hats off to all social workers! :)

i agree, hats off to social workers working for children and families (to you vampybear), think they get a lot of stick they dont deserve, they do a great and very very hard job!

fantastic but really sad programme and i agree it is soo frustrating to watch at times! but im sure the beautiful baby will find a loving home with loving parents and hopefully will have a very happy life

xxx

Vampy, I could never decide whether I wanted to teach or go into social work. Since becomming a teacher I am soooo happy that I didn't choose your path. How you do such an emotionally draining job is beyond me! Any time I have come across a child protection moment I have always ended up coming home in tears!

My hat comes right off to you! It must be so tough!!! Xxxx

Ah thanks guys! Funnily enough, i took a break from social work to try teaching and i HATED it! lol. i found it a lot harder as I didnt like working with a massive class of kids, and a lot of them were very challenging as it was in a deprived area.
Much prefer the one to one.
Dont get me wrong, if the recession wasnt on, then my ideal job would be journalism, but hey ho. \gotta remind myself that my job can help some

its def a job that helps! im a support worker for those at risk of homelessness n i work with alot of social workers who are all keen to move on to work in children and families but they've found it very hard to get a job in it at the moment! hard but very rewarding i can imagine

xxx

Ha ha Vampy! Isn't that funny! Obviously it's a we want to help children thing- but both in different fields!

I am really unsure about what my ideal job would be... I think it might be chocolate testing! Lol!!! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back