pronounciation

Bethi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm after your pronounciation of this name.

We are thinking at the moment about Sophia.
How do *you* say it? Is it 'suh-fear' with a really quick 'suh' sound, or 'soww-fear', with a longer, more emphasised 'oh' sound?

Thanks girls.

It's my friends name and say it with the 'oh' x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I say it so-fee-ah

Love the name, my OHs niece is Sophia. I've always loved it spelled Sofia though, after living in Spain and that's how they usually spell it there, I think it's lovely like that. And more uncommon as well, I know a few friends who have called their LOs Sophia

Last edited:
Id say it so-fi-a well thats how we would all say it in northern ireland

So-fee-ah

No 'fear' at all as there is no 'r' sound in it.

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

Thank you all for your replies.
Maybe it's an accent/dialect thing...I can't seem to emphasise the 'soh' sound.

It's like the 'fee' part is the emphasised bit / main syllable sound. Argh, can't explain what I mean.
It's a quick, short 'so', long 'fee;, then 'uh'.

Should all record our voices ;)
xx

You mean so you're almost just saying the letter S followed by fee-uh? I think I know what you mean.

Yes Juice - the first syllable comes out way too fast. I have to make a deliberate effort to slow it down x

I've heard a lot of people pronounce it like that. I used to work in a nursery so I've heard all sorts of names pronounced in all sorts of ways. It's very rare that anyone makes any negative comments or anything, so just go with what ever you want :)

My aunt and cousin are both called Sophia (mother daughter) and its pronounced So-Fi (as in rhymes with tie)-ya

I'm having a boy but a girl would've been Sophia Honey x

That's nice.
Does anyone know if Sophia is shortened to Sophie (I know they sometimes get called Soph)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back