Progesterone Question

Tina18

Reaction score
Good morning

I have been researching this topic and wondered if a doctor would ever prescribe Progesterone cream (not sure what other form it comes in) to you if you have had 2 re-current miscarriages or could it cause more harm?

I know they would need to carry out a blood test to see if your levels are low at a certain point in your cycle and I did have a blood test done last year to see if I have PCOS but the results came back ok and I know one of the symptoms for PCOS is high Progesterone, so know I wonder if I have low Progesterone and that's why im having problems.

Have any of you been prescribed Progesterone without testing?

Many thanks

Tina

Progesterone is the hormone required to maintain / keep the pregnancy . Low levels can result in loss of early pregnancy before the placenta takes over during he first trimester.

I also looked into this in great detail as recently had a loss, it was my first so obviously dr doesn't want to help as it is quite common apparently .

Anyway their is certain vitamins that have been shown in studies to promote the progesterone production

800mg of vit c a day apparently increase progesterone levels by 77% in women
There's links with iron , vit d, zinc also

I'll try and find the link for you, ok now taking extra of these specific vitamins alongside my pregnacare. There is maximum limits to take though, which I don't exceed

For to be worth a try :)

And magnesium and a higher protein diet
can reduce morning sickness and nausea !!

Last edited:
You can buy the cream online, I've seen it , but thought I'd give vitamins a try first and carry on with healthy eating as much as possible. Not sure if dr prescribe the cream in UK, they do prescribe a supplement tablet form of progesterone I'm sure .

Thanks Aries really appreciate it! I'm an Aries to hehe :)

Sorry to hear about your loss xx

My head is fried with all the research! I've read about certain foods/vitamins do that aswell but I worry if i don't get enough and then it could result in a loss but its hard at this stage as docs dont really want to recommend anything until proper research has been done xxxx

I've been through tests following recurrent miscarriages. Everything came back positive so just "one of those things" (annoyingly it's actually 3 of those things) and the consultant mentioned progesterone. Not to prescribe it though. He said after these results many couples go home and start researching via dr Google and find the there have been progesterone research in the past. However, studies have not found pros or cons for taking progesterone - woman that had previous miscarriages had successful pregnancies when taking progesterone, others didn't. The odds didn't increase or decrease, so they couldn't say whether those who had successful pregnancies taking progesterone was to do with that or whether it was just the "golden egg". I would be very cautious at buying things from the internet before speaking with your gp xx

I've been through tests following recurrent miscarriages. Everything came back positive so just "one of those things" (annoyingly it's actually 3 of those things) and the consultant mentioned progesterone. Not to prescribe it though. He said after these results many couples go home and start researching via dr Google and find the there have been progesterone research in the past. However, studies have not found pros or cons for taking progesterone - woman that had previous miscarriages had successful pregnancies when taking progesterone, others didn't. The odds didn't increase or decrease, so they couldn't say whether those who had successful pregnancies taking progesterone was to do with that or whether it was just the "golden egg". I would be very cautious at buying things from the internet before speaking with your gp xx

Thanks very much and sorry to hear about your miacarriages xx

O yea Id never buy anything online would be terrified!!

Have you tried it of you don't mind me asking? I have wondered whether i can't carry a certain sex Hmm xxx

It is usually prescribed in pessary form in the UK.

I have also had two mcs, my GP has agreed to see me as soon as I get another bfp (if it ever happens) and to test my progesterone levels and she will then prescribe me progesterone if my bloods show I need it. Will your GP do the same for you? Worth asking.

I have also had two mcs, my GP has agreed to see me as soon as I get another bfp (if it ever happens) and to test my progesterone levels and she will then prescribe me progesterone if my bloods show I need it. Will your GP do the same for you? Worth asking.

Thanks snowbee, im glad that your GP will see you on your third, it will happen for you x

That's very intersting! I will certainly ask her! So does that mean that when your pregnant your progesterone should rise and if it doesn't then it means your low? Xx

Thanks very much and sorry to hear about your miacarriages xx

O yea Id never buy anything online would be terrified!!

Have you tried it of you don't mind me asking? I have wondered whether i can't carry a certain sex Hmm xxx

I haven't tried it, no. However I'm not 6 weeks pregnant so my doctor has contacted the consultant about possible progesterone supplements this time just to see really. Currently awaiting to hear back but I'm not hopeful x

You have a great gp!! Mine wouldn't do anything without the say so of the consultant at gynaecology x

You have a great gp!! Mine wouldn't do anything without the say so of the consultant at gynaecology x

To be honest she is just sick of seeing me! We have been ttc for so long (and although we are under the fertility clinic she agrees with me that the consultant is a bit narrow minded so she is going out of her way to get me pregnant).

I have had 5 losses. 3 at 5 weeks, 1 at 8 weeks and 1 at 13 weeks.
All testing came back normal and the losses were put down to my age and poor egg quality. However, my fertility consultant said after my last loss that he would give me progesterone suppositories next time I fell as there was a trial being conducted to see if it helped women who suffered recurrent losses.
The results of that trial have now been published and it has shown that progesterone supplementation does not make a difference. He still gave me them though!!!
The trial was called the PROMISE trial and you can read about it and the results online xx

I have had 5 losses. 3 at 5 weeks, 1 at 8 weeks and 1 at 13 weeks.
All testing came back normal and the losses were put down to my age and poor egg quality. However, my fertility consultant said after my last loss that he would give me progesterone suppositories next time I fell as there was a trial being conducted to see if it helped women who suffered recurrent losses.
The results of that trial have now been published and it has shown that progesterone supplementation does not make a difference. He still gave me them though!!!
The trial was called the PROMISE trial and you can read about it and the results online xx

Thanks so much for your reply, sorry to hear about your losses and congratulations on your rainbow baby :)

That's very interesting I will have a read of that :) luckily my Gp is doing some blood tests on me but not all Im going to be tested for sticky blood xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back