Problems with Logging In *FIXED!!*

LauraB

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

What problems have we had?

There has been a problem over the last week or so with logging in. These have become apparent since I did the software update last week (mentioned in the chat room topic also in the 'getting started & technical support' forum). These software updates are compulsory, however, as they increase the security of the site to prevent it from hackers, etc, and often contain other bits and pieces aimed at creating an even better forum experience!

As far as I am aware, we had two login issues: the first was having to log in twice to start posting, and the second one was the site not remembering you upon your next visit, even though you had ticked the 'remember me' box.

Has it been fixed yet?

I applied a fix last night, and upon my first check this morning, it appears to have worked for me as it has remembered my username and password. :D

What do members need to do?

You will need to clear out your temporary internet files and cookies. For those of you who don't know, 'cookies' are files stored on your PC which (amongst other things) allow your login details to be remembered for your next visit, on those sites which offer you such a facility (eg, banks, other forums, etc).

But first, please read this!

I just wanted to advise you that before you follow the instructions below, 'clearing out your cookies' means that all of your cookies of this type will be deleted, and so when you visit other sites that have previously remembered your login details, you will have to type them in again (and click any 'remember me' boxes again).

I am telling you this is because all too often, people are advised to 'clear out their cookies', but I didn't feel comfortable with telling you all to delete everything that generally helps you to surf quicker! If you are familiar with your cookie folder, then you could pick out and delete the particular cookies relating to our site, however please note that I cannot offer any support with that.

How do I delete cookies?

These instructions are based on Internet Explorer 6. If you use a different browser then you will need to find out how to make these changes in your particular browser.

Click on Tools and then Internet Options

In the 'Temporary Internet Files' section, click on Delete Cookies and then click OK

How do I delete temporary internet files?

These instructions are based on Internet Explorer 6. If you use a different browser then you will need to find out how to make these changes in your particular browser.

Click on Tools and then Internet Options

In the 'Temporary Internet Files' section, click on Delete Files, put a tick in Delete all offline content and then click OK

One more thing ...

You should then restart your PC, come back to the site and you should find that you only have to log in once, and that you are remembered the next time you visit the site.

Disclaimer

Please note that by following the instructions above, you accept that I cannot be held responsible for any issues with your PC arising as a result of the information on this page. If you are in any doubt as to what you are doing, please seek professional advice before carrying out any instructions shown on this page.

Yes, I'm just covering myself above. Although they are two of the most simple tasks for anyone to carry out, I have to make it clear that in the event of your OH coming home and finding that he cannot automatically log on to his favourite cars, poker and fishing sites without having to type his username and password in again, then I cannot be held responsible for him subsequently deleting your Brad Pitt screensaver in retaliation :lol: . Please check with all computer users in your house before proceeding.

What if it still doesn't work?

Then I go back to the drawing board ... :? Just let me know by replying to this topic, providing such information as whether you followed all the instructions, how many times you subsequently had to log in, how long you were away from the site if it hasn't remembered you, etc.

Its worked for me so far!!

Have logged in 3times now with no problems.

Thanks Laura :lol:

Yay, that's great - thanks BubbleOne! :D

Anybody else ... has it worked for you?

hasn't worked for me. unless i have to delete cookies everytime i come on?!! :?

Hi Hazel,

Can you tell me whether you carried out all of the instructions above, and then re-booted your PC? Also, has the auto-login ever worked for you, ie did it work for you before the upgrade last week?

Oops never read the rebooting bit :oops: . Will try that later.

It did work before the upgrade. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back