Problems at work with pregnancy, think I might quit?

AngelLily

Reaction score
I work two jobs, one day job working in a brain damaged care home, I can so as many as 4-5 shifts a week and another 10 hour contract night job as a support worker.

Anyway, my nightshift job is killing me. I hate nightshift to begin with and the employers are horrible! I started about 2 month ago, I've worked every shift and done extra's when they've been short staffed. Anyway, last week I was feeling ill due to my pregnancy, tiredness and morning sickness, so I decided to ring in sick for the first time since working. They know I'm pregnant and even did a risk assessment for me. Anyway, a few days later I get a letter saying I'm at risk of my job being terminated due my sickness absence I only took one night off since I started working!

It's really annoyed me, I hate that job too! My other job is much more understanding and more rewarding. I'm thinking about quitting the night shift, I'm still on probation there and I have meeting on thursday about my "bad attendance." Should I quit then? I'm working tonight and hopefully it'll be my last shift there! Thinking about tonight is making me feel panicky, I really dislike that place!

How do I leave this place? Do I just call and leave? I got told I don't need to hand in my notice since I'm still on probation. Any advice would be useful, thank you xxx

That cannot be legal? One shift off? Is it because you are still in the probationary period? But even then, they know you are pregnant so should be some give or take. If you want to quit though, i would be giving them hell for bringing you into the meeting for having one pregnancy related shift off, then quit! Make sure they feel like shit first!

I'd play along then threaten them with unfair dismissal tribunal - play them at their game !

If the meeting doesn't go to your favour - as un professional as it is- just don't turn back up and send them a letter explaining you've been as professional as they have regarding the 1 day sick you've had in your probationary period

People like this make me angry ( companies )

Just go honey, my dad ended up being treated like that after a very short sickness absence. He worked there 35 years and was treated like sh*t. We believe it is what led him to kill himself last month :cry: So I just cannot stand hearing or seeing anyone being treated like crap. Life is too short, think of yourself and baby xx

Last edited:
I wud just quit hun if you really dislike it that much. But as the ohters have said on probabtion or not they cannot treat you like that its against the law.

Michelle. x

Just go honey, my dad ended up being treated like that after a very short sickness absence. He worked there 35 years and was treated like sh*t. We believe it is what led him to kill himself last month :cry: So I just cannot stand hearing or seeing anyone being treated like crap. Life is too short, think of yourself and baby xx

Bloody hell jac. Sorry to hear that :( x

that's terrible! and illegal btw! it's up to u if u quit your job or not, if u do want to stay there they can't fire u or put your job at risk for one absence, also any absence caused by your pregnancy does count towards sick days and can never result in any disciplinary action or being fired

saying that if u don't like it there and u don't particularly need the money it might save u a lot of stress to just leave, in a probation period all u have to do is tell them you're leaving in writing, u don't need to give them any notice

Thank you everyone. I'm there tonight and considering this was my last shift! I got treat like this at another job and I ended up in a bad situation, and I refuse to let myself get treat badly again. Thank you for all your help! :)

and Jacq23 I am so sorry about your dad :( :hugs: xxx

We have a procedure at work (support worker) where sick time within z certain timeframe leads to a meeting to discuss wafts going on with you. It's not skyward negative. But once seems a bit much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back