Private or NHS?

mrstox

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I am wondering what your experiences and thoughts are on the NHS and private clinics respectively?

I have just recently moved to London, and I have therefore not have had anything to do with the NHS yet. I have just found I am pregnant, and I am therefore considering my options in terms of the follow months medical appointments. Including my first appointment.

I would be able to make use of the Danish medical system, which is free. But there have recently been a lot about understaffed maternity wings of the hospitals, and too few beds. So honestly, I am not really into that option very much.

Thanks! :wave:

Hej och gratis!

From what I've heard there's been staff increases and huge improvements in maternity care since my first was born 10 years back. If you go on the NHS website there is ratings on various areas based on people's experience. However, you also have the option of some fantastic birthing centres.

Last edited:
NHS has been fine for me, but I haven't used the private system for pregnancy before, so I've nothing to compare it with! I think there is a massive difference in standards and care between hospitals, unfortunately, although you are within your rights to chose any hospital you like for your care as I understand it.

I'm a high risk pregnancy (twins) so there was less choice for me as I need to be at a main hospital when I give birth. You can use this as a resource to decide where you might like to receive care: http://www.which.co.uk/birth-choice

Good luck. London is a good place to be for excellent hospitals.

Hi i looked at private as well as was u sure however alot of private agencies still use normal nhs hospitals for you to give birth in. I chose nhs and I actually had really good care.

Some of the NHS hospitals in London are the best in the country - worth looking up how your local one rates

I gave birth at St Thomas and couldn't have asked for better care. The views are amazing, too!

I'm definitely using NHS but going to have baby at home. So that's sort of negating the risk of lack of beds/space

With private I'd just be careful which hospital you choose as some private hospitals dont have NICU or SCBU departments and transfer you to NHS ones.

My old employer used to provide us with private health cover with the exception of maternity unless you were hired from somewhere like the US. One of my US colleagues used the private maternity care and gave birth at the Portland. Other than having 2 additional scans and not having to wait to be seen, it sounded like her antenatal care was similar to my nhs care. Her birth sounded amazing though, she was induced and arrived at the appointment, given a tablet and shown to her suite which had a bedroom, lounge and bathroom. Then she was told to go to the a la carte restaurant then return for monitoring. It sounded like a 5* hotel! However I had a peak at the prices and it would've cost in thr region of £30k if she had to foot the bill herself. So I don't think id ever choose that unless I had endless amounts of money as Ive used the nhs maternity services in London 3 times so far and have always been taken care of very well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back