Previous emergency section?

Summergurl

Reaction score
Had an emergency section with my first in 2016 due to the fact she didn't turn from being on her right side and my cervix only getting to 9cm so I'm wondering if I'll automatically be classed as high risk when we have a second and will they offer a section with the second?

I had an emergency c-section with my LG in 2016. I am classed as high risk because of this AND my high BMI, but they said having had a c-section before, I would automatically have been high risk anyway.

I think whether you are offered a planned section depends on you as an individual/your last birth. It is looking likely that is what I will have, even though I hate the thought of the c-section recovery again, as they don't think I'll be successful with a VBAC.

Everybody I know who has had an emergency section, myself included, has been offered an elective section or the chance for vbac, I was high risk for my second due to obstetric history (previous pre-e) and also previous section. My doctor was absolutely fine about me choosing a section and booked me in at 22 weeks. Only a midwife that we saw on triage one day tried to persuade me to do vbac. I even went into labour naturally the day before and after 13 hours of contractions, still got my elective section.

Thanks ladies.
We're not even pregnant yet with baby number 2 but I'm already torn between trying for vbac or section again. I'd love to be able to have a vbac but I'm just torn!

In my green notes it said 75% of women who opt for vbac do manage to give birth naturally. There’s a 1 in 200 risk of rupture of the section incision site when contractions start which would need immediate medical attention. Obviously the recovery after vaginal birth is generally much quicker than after a section.

I opted for a section as I didn’t want to experience 27 hours of labour to end up with an emergency section again. I think if that had happened, I’d be thinking that I could have had a section in the first place with a much calmer atmosphere. Also, from a practical side for me. I live 2.5 hours away from all my family. Booking a section meant I could plan for my parents looking after my daughter. (Though as I ended up going into labour we had to ask for help from a parent of a child in my daughter’s class!)

When I went ahead with choosing a section, I had to read a card with all the risks. There is a risk to baby in terms of breathing difficulties which lowers the closer you gave your section to 40 weeks. At 39 weeks, it’s 1%. I was unlucky as my little boy did have to go to neonates with breathing difficulties which was due to mucus in his lungs from the section.

When it comes to it, your midwife/hospital should be able to provide you with leaflets about sections and vbac which will help you choose.

Thanks joeyclare.
Will just have to wait and see what they say :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back