Prescription Medications

Salley

Reaction score
I'm posting this thread just to reach out to anyone else on the prescription med wagon (you or OH). It's an obstacle having to deal with illness while TTC... Let this be a place of support for everyone taking prescription medications while TTC! :)

Last edited:
I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that presents as anxiety, depression and auditory hallucinations. I've taken an array of prescription medications, some of which are bad for baby if I do become pregnant and bad for me if I stop taking them. That said, I've already decided I'll stop all non-baby-beneficial medications when I am successful at conceiving a little one--I don't want my child dependent on medications to be normal.

Currently I'm taking acyclovir and abilify; I'm lacking in an anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication because of the healthcare I'm provided (that's another topic completely and not really relevant to TTC). In an effort to fix myself I'm paying to see a new psychiatrist later this month, after my testing date. I spend a lot of time on google making sure medications I take don't impact my chances to get pregnant, even though some do impact the fetus after pregnancy..

Good luck Hun. I was in a bad relationship with an ex which was abusive and I am still on antidepressants now. My doctor knows we are TTC but would rather I stay on them as benefits outweigh the risks. I hope everything works out well for you Hun xx

Thank you! Good luck to you too! I'm struggling to find /be prescribed an anti depressant that works for me. I've had success with welbutrin but it increases my anxiety and the Healthcare system I'm tied to doesn't like to prescribe benzo's for anxiety, which seems to be the only thing that's effective for my panic attacks. Hopefully this new psychiatrist will be beneficial.

Nice idea. I've spoken a little about it on here but didn't know if anyone else in same boat and didn't want to seem as prying. Hope you all have success and not too many issues.
My H is on medication which we've always known he has to come off when ttc (causes miscarriage but if somehow it doesn't then it causes big deformities to baby). He's been off for 4 months already and decided to start trying in next 4-8 weeks (recommended time off is 3 months minimum - 6 months beneficial).
It's been hard, DMARD drug and he's had pain for past 9 weeks which scared has come from spreading now he's not on meds, but Dr seemed fine that it wasn't linked. I'm not so sure. So kind of eager to get ttc so he can get back on meds asap

Nice idea. I've spoken a little about it on here but didn't know if anyone else in same boat and didn't want to seem as prying. Hope you all have success and not too many issues.
My H is on medication which we've always known he has to come off when ttc (causes miscarriage but if somehow it doesn't then it causes big deformities to baby). He's been off for 4 months already and decided to start trying in next 4-8 weeks (recommended time off is 3 months minimum - 6 months beneficial).
It's been hard, DMARD drug and he's had pain for past 9 weeks which scared has come from spreading now he's not on meds, but Dr seemed fine that it wasn't linked. I'm not so sure. So kind of eager to get ttc so he can get back on meds asap

I had to Google DMARD, does he have R-Arthritis? My OH has various aches and pains too, mainly TMJ from a car accident. He can't really take any medications for the pain as most of them make him feel sick. I hope you're successful quickly so your OH can return to his medications, it hurts to see them hurting. Best of luck with ttc!!

I had to Google DMARD, does he have R-Arthritis? My OH has various aches and pains too, mainly TMJ from a car accident. He can't really take any medications for the pain as most of them make him feel sick. I hope you're successful quickly so your OH can return to his medications, it hurts to see them hurting. Best of luck with ttc!!

Thanks! Same to you. It is R-Arth yes, the other options we have (which may think about if we ttc again in future), is switch to a med for him which is safe for baby but side effect is lowers sperm count/quality. But didn't go down that route this time. Are there many meds you've researched you can still be on with no harmful effects?

Most of the medications I've had to take are bad for baby because it's mental illness drugs, messes with chemicals in the brain for me and I'm sure for baby too (which is why I plan to discontinue of we're successful). I actually just found an article about the one medication I'm still on (abilify) causing infertility in animal testing. It's category C for pregnancy (which I already knew)--risk can't be ruled out. Like this thread started off, it's hard dealing with illness ttc. I might have to stop this medication to be successful. I'm going to get an appointment with my gp/gyno to ask questions as Google is not always correct.. Yay for new obstacles!

I totally spaced on asking... If you use the medication that lowers his numbers, is it possible to counter that side effect by him taking something that increases sperm count?

Does anyone's OH take clonazepam? I've read it can cause malformations, but this is in cases where the mother is taking the medication, I'm still researching about the father and any risks.. Any insight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back