Prenatal doc appointment necessary?

PinkPunch

Reaction score
Do you really need to visit the doc before you TTC if you don't have any health issues? I was just going to buy some prenatal vitamins and get on with it..

Oh, and do you just take prenatal vitamins or take folic acid AND prenatal vitamins? Perhaps I've just answered my above question as I don't know enough.. lol

Hi there, I didn't visit my doctor either time it was ttc. As for prenatal vitamins there should be 400mg of folic acid in them so don't take any extra.. as far as i'm aware - I stand corrected if i'm wrong :oops:

I didn't see my doc before we started and tbh you can usually get the answers to any of your questions either from the girls on here or from the internet somewhere.

I don't know about parental vitamins I'm just taking folic acid. I would check to see if the parental vitamins contain folic acid becayse if they do then you will have saved yourself a dilema

good luck TTC

It can't hurt to go - you aren't always aware of all your 'health issues' that could affect ttc and at least it will be on your records that you are ttc......saying that, I haven't been yet!!!

I tagged the question on to the end of a trip about something else. You should ideally get tested for immunity to rubella before TTC. Most women will have been vaccinated at age 16, so they do a very quick blood test and check you're still protected. If it's worn off, you need a booster, and you MUST leave 3 months between getting the booster vacc and conceiving (if you contract rubella whilst pregnant, it can cause all sorts of damage to the foetus, and is often fatal).

I had my blood test, got the results a week later, and so was fine to start TTC right away.

The main reason I asked/told the GP was to make sure I wasn't going to be prescribed anything that could affect a foetus - there's a big sign on my file saying I'm TTC.

Kitty, thanks so much for your post. I had no idea.

Kittykins said:
I tagged the question on to the end of a trip about something else. You should ideally get tested for immunity to rubella before TTC. Most women will have been vaccinated at age 16, so they do a very quick blood test and check you're still protected. If it's worn off, you need a booster, and you MUST leave 3 months between getting the booster vacc and conceiving (if you contract rubella whilst pregnant, it can cause all sorts of damage to the foetus, and is often fatal).

I had my blood test, got the results a week later, and so was fine to start TTC right away.

The main reason I asked/told the GP was to make sure I wasn't going to be prescribed anything that could affect a foetus - there's a big sign on my file saying I'm TTC.

ahhhh... I didn't know that!! Luckily I had all my boosters earlier this year before my honeymoon so I'm ok.

I'm half glad I didn't tell the doc I was trying because if we haven't got our BFP by Feb we're going to make an appointment and tell a little white fib that we've actually been trying for 12 months when in reality it will only have been 8 months... :lol: If we'd have told them we were trying then they would know when my 12 months were up.

I didn't know till a pg friend dropped it subtly into the conversation! Most women will be fine anyway, thanks to mass immunisation of girls at 15/16. It's just that some women miss that jab, and in others, it wears off after a time.

Chrissy - I know exactly what you mean! I'd have done the same but a couple of months previously, I'd had to confirm that there was no chance that I was pg or was likely to get pg before treatment for sth else - so my view was I'd better tell him the second I wanted to TTC, so that he'd believe me when I told him we'd been trying for 12 months, and not make me wait even longer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back