Prem baby and new pregnancy

specialmami

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Was wondering if any of you had a premature baby and have gone on to have another pregnancy?

My son was born at 33+4 weeks in 2010 I'm now newly pregnant but have a tonne of questions about this pregnancy.

Just curious as to what extra care you were given if any extra care given at all? Did following baby arrive early too?

I know its still early days for me yet as only 9 weeks and still praying for this baby to be sticky so don't want to get too ahead of myself.

Would just be nice to know so I know what kind of care I should be getting.

Thanks in advance

I didn't want to read and run. I had my little boy 9 1/2 years ago at 30 weeks and am now pregnant again. I suppose it would depend on your reasons for a prem delivery last time? Mine was due to a placenta previa and placental abruption and ended in a emergency section. I was high risk for this pregnancy for other reasons and was told the chances of another previa were extremely slim, I do have a low lying placenta again this time but am confident it will move over the next few weeks and feel really completely confident with my care, I know I can take on whatever gets thrown at me. I know what to expect and that is huge this time, last time I was blind and felt totally unprepared for everything that happened. Congratulations on your new pregnancy I'm sure you will be looked after and reassured and hopefully carry your little bean for the full 40 weeks :) Good luck xxx

I didn't want to read and run. I had my little boy 9 1/2 years ago at 30 weeks and am now pregnant again. I suppose it would depend on your reasons for a prem delivery last time? Mine was due to a placenta previa and placental abruption and ended in a emergency section. I was high risk for this pregnancy for other reasons and was told the chances of another previa were extremely slim, I do have a low lying placenta again this time but am confident it will move over the next few weeks and feel really completely confident with my care, I know I can take on whatever gets thrown at me. I know what to expect and that is huge this time, last time I was blind and felt totally unprepared for everything that happened. Congratulations on your new pregnancy I'm sure you will be looked after and reassured and hopefully carry your little bean for the full 40 weeks :) Good luck xxx

Thanks FLips4 I dont actually know the reason for pre term labour. There was no sign of infection and placenta I presume was ok as no one mentioned anything to me so will be interesting to see what can try to be done to prevent prematurity happening again. Ive had my 1st MW appt on Weds and she's referring me to a consultant to hopefully i;ll be able to clarify any doubts with her.

Good luck at the consultant visit, they should have your notes so can go over everything with you xxx

Snap exactly the way I feel had my little boy 30+5 2011 my placenta was lying across my cervix and didnt move, but there were other issues mainly I was told due to my weight at the time I was more likely to have a prem baby so was closely monitored but still had a prem baby, whose a happy toddler now! I have since lost 4 stone and am really fit so hoping that I dont have another premmie but if we do then we know what to expect but am trying to be positive that this one will go full term. xx

We were very similar - I had my first in 2009 at 27+4 and we never found out the reason. i got pregnant again when she turned one and my care was shared between consultant and midwife. I was also on The OPPTIMUM trial (its in a lot of hospitals now) and this was beneficial.

We got to 40+2 :)

Last edited:
Hi i had a 36 week not really prem then 2 sons 1 at 28 weeks and 1 at 26 weeks both due to aph bleeds. last time doctors said theres a slight chance and gave me steroids at 24 weeks to be safe which was lucky with him arriving a couple of weeks later. I was classed as high risk and was looked after brilliantly. Im now 16 weeks pregnant again (not planned) and I know its going to happen again early. I have a new consultant who ive seen once and wont again until 24 weeks, and midwife will only see me every 3 months because im under consultant. Consultant this time says I have an even chance of going full term so not to worry! arghhhhhh anyone whos had a preemie and knows how distressing it is would be worried. I think if youve had a preemie already then best case is to plan for it to happen again and be happy if it doesnt. But in theory you should get extra care whilst pregnant xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back