Pregnant... now what.

Sadie

Reaction score
Hi, Two days ago I took two pregnancy test only to find out that I am pregnant. This is all very unplanned and could not come at the worst time. But sometimes the best things can happen when you least expect it and when the timing is all wrong. I have had no symptoms at all other then being late on my period which I am never late.

I am 37, never been pregnant before and really never expected to be. So now what? I have made an appointment with the doctor but have to wait for over a week. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to expect and what to do.

I have so many questions, like I took an asprin sometime this last month and a pepcid. Will this have hurt the baby? I also put honey in my salad dressing, I know you dont give honey to little ones, but will it hurt them in the womb?

If you get really light cramps is it a sign that you are going to miscarry? Is spotting normal. I do have very light cramps, and I think I saw some spotting, but I know you can have a period and still be PG. As we are not telling anyone for a few months to make sure everything is okay I really have no one to talk to about all this. Any advice will be much appreciated.

I am still in shock. It still doesnt feel real. I dont really feel any different. No swollen breasts, no up set tummy. Just two tests that say positive and no period.

Firstly, congratulations!!!

I am sure you are completely overwhelmed with the whole thing at the moment!!

The most imprtant thing to do NOW is to start taking folic acid supplements or a pregnancy vitamin like pregnacare etc.

I am sure the asprin etc did no harm at all, it's the same as those of us (and I did this) got absolutely plastered when I was very early pregnant on pernod and black.....I was so worried, I thought it would at least be born purple!!

This is a really nice place to get help and support and if you look under the 'introduce yourself' section you can ask questions to Keiren, our resident lovely midwife, he's very helpful.

Light cramping and spotting are good possitive signs of pregnancy so don't worry about them.

Any more questions just ask - we are all here to help

Lots of love

I should also add that I have done nothing but sleep since last week end. It is not like me at all. I guess that is a sign as well.

Hi,

Sleeping a lot is a sign of pregnancy, but so is insomnia, which unfortuantely i had problems with early on in pregnancy! Seems to be a bit now, thank god! I also got very drunk on brandy a week before i found out i was pregnant, and my baby is doing fine. If you havent got any sickness or sore boobs then be thankfull!!!! Im still suffering with sore boobs although been quite lucky on the sickness side!

When you see a doc they should set you up an appointment to see a midwife, my midwife came to my house, but this isnt always the case.

Hope all goes ok for you, take care
Natalie x

Hi Sadie
I just want to say i feel the same as you and sometimes its hard not to get carried away with thinking what will and wont harm my baby (foods etc) so i just look at it this way luv..... women have been doing this for thousands of years my guesses are they ate foods we worry about and everything went fine hence so many people..... so dont worry too much. This is my first child and i am overwhelmed too, i'm 6-7 weeks :D

Hope you feel better, kerry is right too go to your local chemist for folic acid supplements i did as soon as i found out, jody :D

I am feeling more settled now, although I couldnt stop crying for some reason on Sunday. It was like all the PMS I ever had rolled into one.

I am still a little upset that I still have to wait another week to see a doctor for the first time. They just didnt seem all that bothered. If that kind of attitude continues I may look for a new doctor.

Thanks for all the kind words. Its a really confusing time.

S

Hi Sadie

My doctor didnt really do anything apart from write to a midwife for me. I think it is because the dont have any involvement with pregnant woman, so they dont really know how we feel. I went to the docs when i was 5 weeks and didnt see my midwife til i was 8 weeks.

I also agree with Jody, thousands of woman experianced pregnancy with no scans, or scientific research into EVERYTHING!!! Try not to get to paranoid just be careful, and enjoy what is happening inside you

Take care
Natalie

Sadie

All my doc did was refer me to a midwife, they don't have any involvement. I didn't know what to expect and felt a bit lonely, but luckily I got to see the midwife briefly at 5 weeks but I will have to wait for another week (when I will be 10.5 weeks) until my booking in appointment with her.

I'd buy a couple of pregnancy books and do some net surfing, it's the only thing to keep me going between appointments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back