Pregnant but have a coil fitted

kanga86

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm an oldie and been on pf for my 3 lo's born in 2012, 2014 and 2016. I had a mirena coil put in June 2019 had had lots of on and off bleeds which I expected to have whilst it was settling down.

I've started feeling unwell, nauseous and headachey and it made me think about how I felt in early pregnancy so I took a test this afternoon and it is a blazing bfp! I have tried to feel for my coil strings and I can't feel them, so guess the coil has moved or fallen out?!

Petrified of telling my hubby as he really doesn't want any more kids, I did, but so not ready for this and so worried about whether or not the baby is okay. I'm going to guess I'm around 5-6weeks based on how sick I feel as I have suffered from hyperemyesis in all 3 of my boys pregnancies so really not looking forward to that starting.

I guess I better get a doctors appt tomorrow!
20200130_162328.jpg

Oh wow bet that's came as a huge shock to u all.
I'm sure baby is ok but ull have to go gp and tell them and then get that mirena out.

Omg Kanga!!
Hi!
Of course I remember you :)
Congratulations. Everything will be fine. 4 is so much fun :) i would visit the doc to confirm the coil is truly out (and not in your uterus) and then talk to hubby. Everything will be ok!!

TTCno2, it’s a huge shock, wasn’t expecting to see anything on the test! I think I remember you from being on here before, congratulations on your BFP.

Kholl, I remember you too when we were in September 2014 together, so exciting to see ‘old’ members on here still. I’m hoping I can get into the doctors tomorrow and referred for a scan straight away to see what is happening in there.

September 2014, can you even believe it?!? our big boys will be 6 this year! I really hope you get some answers very soon. And congratulations, I know you wanted a fourth, and your husband will come around and everyone will be ok.

I know it’s crazy that they will be 6 this year, my baby is 4 in May and starts school in Sept. I did want a 4th, but not this way, and I had got used to the idea of just having the 3 boys as hubby is so against another one.

I have just told him and he said for fucks sake how did that happen! He is being lovely about it, although he is worrying about money and space etc He knows there is no other options and won’t force anything, so just have to hope this baby is doing well and going to stick around xx

Hello everyone, I'm an oldie and been on pf for my 3 lo's born in 2012, 2014 and 2016. I had a mirena coil put in June 2019 had had lots of on and off bleeds which I expected to have whilst it was settling down.

I've started feeling unwell, nauseous and headachey and it made me think about how I felt in early pregnancy so I took a test this afternoon and it is a blazing bfp! I have tried to feel for my coil strings and I can't feel them, so guess the coil has moved or fallen out?!

Petrified of telling my hubby as he really doesn't want any more kids, I did, but so not ready for this and so worried about whether or not the baby is okay. I'm going to guess I'm around 5-6weeks based on how sick I feel as I have suffered from hyperemyesis in all 3 of my boys pregnancies so really not looking forward to that starting.

I guess I better get a doctors appt tomorrow!
View attachment 89857

OMG Kanga! I remember you from before :) that’s really crazy, it does sound like it’s either fallen out or moved, better get a scan quickly to see if it’s still in there. I’m due September with number 4 x

Oh, so glad you told him! I know it wasn't the ideal situation, but here you are and I do think all will be well. we have a very small house too and are starting to look seriously at either expanding or moving, our older 3 share a room and the baby (well "baby" - he'll be one in just 6 days!) sleeps in our room (usually our bed). The good thing about when they're young is that they are small people who don't "need space" quite yet, but our 8-year-old is truly hitting that point where she needs her own space and we have to get serious! Anyway, you'll be fine, it's good for the kids to negotiate space and sibling relationships, and you will make it work :)

OMG Kanga! I remember you from before :) that’s really crazy, it does sound like it’s either fallen out or moved, better get a scan quickly to see if it’s still in there. I’m due September with number 4 x
Omg rose I remember you too, congratulations on number 4, I will probably end up in Sept again too. It is so crazy, and not something I ever expected to happen. I really am hoping I can get referred for a scan tomorrow. You always planned for four babies didn’t you? xx

Oh, so glad you told him! I know it wasn't the ideal situation, but here you are and I do think all will be well. we have a very small house too and are starting to look seriously at either expanding or moving, our older 3 share a room and the baby (well "baby" - he'll be one in just 6 days!) sleeps in our room (usually our bed). The good thing about when they're young is that they are small people who don't "need space" quite yet, but our 8-year-old is truly hitting that point where she needs her own space and we have to get serious! Anyway, you'll be fine, it's good for the kids to negotiate space and sibling relationships, and you will make it work :)
I do feel relieved to tell him, and it wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be. We have a 3 bed house we rent, and currently the 3 boys are happy sharing a room, it was their choice. The tiny box room has the wardrobes and drawers with the boys clothes in, so I guess with some jiggling around we could free up the little room. Harry is 7.5 and still happy sharing for now so fingers crossed it stays that way. Hubby is upset as he wants to get a mortgage and this pushes it further away again. I can imagine the baby sharing with us for a long while as well. Strangely My 5 year old has been saying a baby would be lovely so that could be a good start lol life is hectic with 3 so what’s one more in the mix lol xx

TTCno2, it’s a huge shock, wasn’t expecting to see anything on the test! I think I remember you from being on here before, congratulations on your BFP.

Kholl, I remember you too when we were in September 2014 together, so exciting to see ‘old’ members on here still. I’m hoping I can get into the doctors tomorrow and referred for a scan straight away to see what is happening in there.

Yes I was here I think 2014 for while back for one last time and then I'm done.
Glad uve told him. I'm sure ur glad to get that out of the way.

Just spoke to a doctor and it was a waste of time. He is sending me for a blood test to test for hcg at 12:30pm today and should get the results on monday, to confirm just incase the pregnancy test was wrong! He wont send me for a scan as I'm not bleeding or having pain and I'm keeping the baby so no need to check on dates! He says if the coil is still there it wont cause any problems and I could go to term with it still in place. So confused and worried! xx

Omg rose I remember you too, congratulations on number 4, I will probably end up in Sept again too. It is so crazy, and not something I ever expected to happen. I really am hoping I can get referred for a scan tomorrow. You always planned for four babies didn’t you? xx

we did indeed always plan for 4. Number 3 was a surprise and a bit sooner than planned so after him I had a copper coil put in until we were ready for number 4! We got married in sept 19 so then we thought it was about time we completed the set!

that is madness that your doctor has just sent you for a blood test! I would just call your EPU directly and ask them what should happen, I’m fairly sure they would get you in right away x

I’ve really not had much luck today. I can’t self refer to the epu unfortunately so I have phoned up the midwives and booked myself in, eek! They have said that having a coil in isn’t their area of care so it has to be the gps to check if the coil is still there and decide if I need a scan. As I have no bleeding or pain nobody wants to send me for a scan which is scary, considering I don’t know where the coil is and it could well be ectopic. So it is just a waiting game at this point x

I actually can’t believe this kanga! Like you say having a coil in makes you a risk for ectopic and you have no idea when you conceived so they really should be scanning you to try to work that out. In my area GPs won’t look at coils at all and it all has to be done at a sexual health clinic so if they thought you had one in and we’re pregnant they would just send you straight to the hospital to be scanned. Years ago I couldn’t find the strings to my coil and I went to a&e because I had been told it was a medical emergency if you couldn’t find them incase it perforated your womb. A&E couldn’t find them so they sent me for an ultrasound and located it where it should be but all the strings were hooked up and they had to go in and unhook them. Makes me feel a bit queasy to think about now!

but anyway, I’m so shocked they’ve basically just told you to sit tight. I wouldn’t be able to rest until someone had seen me x

I am so disappointed with the care I have been given today to be honest, but as hubby is away overnight there isn’t much I can do today. I’m going to phone up again on Monday to try and really push for a scan. I would try to get hold of the sexual health clinic (they put it in) but it is nearly impossible to get hold of them, took me ages to actually get an appt to have the coil fitted.

Sounds like you were helped out quite a bit when you couldn’t find your coil, I did tell the doctor I couldn’t find them and he really wasn’t worried. Even told me to pay for a private scan if I really wanted to know if it was all okay in the there!! x

Wow that is crazy that they would suggest you pay for a scan! Last week I was about 6 and a half weeks and I was worrying so much about unusual cramping I was getting that I rang my EPU and said I was really worried and that I had had to migraine for two days which I suspected was from the stress of worrying and they booked me in for the next morning which is when they found I have a small bleed which is nothing to worry about but proves that it wasn’t all in my head. They should really be trusting you on this x

Rose that is amazing they got you in for scan so quick, sorry you were suffering from a migraine for so long because of worrying. I'm sure I've been feeling more nauseous the last couple of days because of worrying, had a headache today but not as bad as a migraine. Although some of the worry is about hubby, as he is still on the not wanting to keep it mood, so yhingd are a bit strange at home. I am definitely going to phone up on Monday morning and try to get scanned. Hate that it's the weekend cos there is no hope to get a scan at the weekend round here x

Rose that is amazing they got you in for scan so quick, sorry you were suffering from a migraine for so long because of worrying. I'm sure I've been feeling more nauseous the last couple of days because of worrying, had a headache today but not as bad as a migraine. Although some of the worry is about hubby, as he is still on the not wanting to keep it mood, so yhingd are a bit strange at home. I am definitely going to phone up on Monday morning and try to get scanned. Hate that it's the weekend cos there is no hope to get a scan at the weekend round here x

funny you should say that as I was scanned on a Saturday and was really surprised they offered them at the weekend!

that’s such a shame about your husband. As you know we always planned 4 but when I got pregnant with number 3 he was a bit of a slip up and my husbands initial reaction was shock and horror and he couldn’t even talk about it for the first 3 hours after I told him. But he quickly realised that we would be fine and that this little person was already one of children and he couldn’t possibly say ‘not now’ when we always planned to have more anyway. I hope your husband comes around once it’s all sunk in. In a way if you got your scan and the coil is lodged in there somewhere that might make him realise that this little one just definitely wanted to come along and nothing was getting in its way! Who knows what goes on in men’s heads, he might even be thinking that he was to blame and should have felt that it wasn’t there or something. My husband had always said he could feel mine (especially the one I had before we had children).

I had really bad migraines in my third pregnancy for weeks and I’ve never had them any other time. So I thought this was the beginning of them starting again but then I remembered that the GP and midwives decided they thought I was getting them form stress worrying about coping with three so I thought I better explain that when I called in. Lo and behold I’ve not had another one so far!

Scan tomorrow at 10:45, eek! Started anti sickness meds too, feeling so nervous for tomorrow to find out what is going on. My blood hcg was 21,000 on Friday so hopefully we get to see something x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back