Pregnancy symptoms but negative tests

Worrybunny

Reaction score
IMPORTANT: So, I just came out of the doctors office and I'm NOT pregnant. I'm just incredibly late. She prescribed me Nuvaring for contraception. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Good evening ladies!!

I need some advice because, as my nickname says, I'm a Worry Bunny and I'm not trying to conceive. I want kids at some point but not now!!

So here it goes:

Last period started on 26/08
Stopped the pill a couple of months ago
Had unprotected sex (but used the pull out method) on the 7/09, 2 days before ovulation day and 18/10 (one week before due period) an again on the 4/10 (he came inside me this last time).
I was regular on the pill but used to be very irregular before, I even had a 46 day cycle once.
If I was regular, my last period was due on 23/09
If I was irregular, my last period would ideally be on 10/10.
I have nausea (can be from stress because it feels more like an uneasy feeling), mood swings, increased hunger, craving for sweet and salty, and pain in my lower abdomen and right side of lower abdomen. My nipples didn't change color and are not sore at all.
I had spotting for 2 days on the time my last period should've started.
I would be 6 weeks pregnant now, starting 7 week today.
I took 2 tests on week 5, one at night and one in the morning, both negative.
I did two tests today, one in morning and one in evening, both negative.
I started dieting until now and only started eating more these last days. Me and my boyfriend are also heavy smokers so I guess my fertility would be ultra low.

Could I be pregnant if I got 4 negative results!? Because I'm panicking and am getting stressed and even got a panic attack. Feeling more and more nauseated for the stress.

From your experience ladies, could I still be pregnant, could this be my body readjusting from stopping the pill a couple of months ago or could I have a problem in my uterus?

If I don't get my period in the next week or so, I'll take an appointment to make a blood test and see if anything is wrong, but please give me some advice girls because I feel confused and can barely sleep now.

If you took the time to read all of this and take the time to reply to me, I'm very grateful for your help :) Thanks you everyone <3

PS: I also took my basal body temperature last night and it came back at 37,3º which would be the temperature of a person who is not pregnant at that hour of the day. I never monitored my BBT so it was more of a panic measure to ease my mind before sleep but it didn't work much, eh. I also did the toothpaste test last night and after 5 minutes or so it didn't change colors.

Last edited:
Take another test... if it's negative I'd still go to the doctors. Your symptoms could be from stopping the pill as you say, it can take like up to 12 months for your body to get back to normal after.
The pull out method is not a form of contraception, and you can still be pretty fertile even if you smoke.
Tbh, stopping the pill, having sex at ovulation, checking bbt and not using condoms all sounds like you are trying to get pregnant to me... x

Take another test... if it's negative I'd still go to the doctors. Your symptoms could be from stopping the pill as you say, it can take like up to 12 months for your body to get back to normal after.
The pull out method is not a form of contraception, and you can still be pretty fertile even if you smoke.
Tbh, stopping the pill, having sex at ovulation, checking bbt and not using condoms all sounds like you are trying to get pregnant to me... x

Thank you so much for your response! I'm so nervous I keep refreshing every 5 minutes.

I'll take an appointment with the doctor on Monday because they're closed tomorrow and I want to go to a private doctor. I read that the POM was effective when done right so I trusted it but I already told my SO that if this is a scare, I'm starting the pill again and never coming off no matter how crappy it makes me feel. Nothing feels crappier than being afraid like this.

The last two tests I took have a 25mIU/ml and at 6 weeks/7 weeks, I feel it should be showing. But I don't know. I hope you're right!! Thank you so much for your reply.

I really don't think you're pregnant. Pull out method isn't full proof and loads of people get pregnant that way but as you have tested negative, u doubt you are. If the pill doesn't agree with you then he could just wear a condom. It's not all down to you! X

Last edited:
I agree that I think if you were and your dates are right you would be getting a positive now. Have you tried different brands or all the same test?

I really don't think you're pregnant. Pull out method isn't full proof and loads of people get pregnant that way but as you have tested negative, u doubt you are. If the pill doesn't agree with you then he could just wear a condom. It's not all down to you! X

Thanks for your reply :) Yeah 4 tests negative is a big indicator I'm not pregnant but since my body is kind of messed up I'm worried maybe I'm not producing enough hormones for a home test.

I agree that I think if you were and your dates are right you would be getting a positive now. Have you tried different brands or all the same test?

Thanks for replying to my post :) I tried two brands, Biotest HGC for my first 2 tests and then yesterday I followed my friends advice and took two Pic Solution tests. Not sure if they're known in other parts of the world but both should detect 25mIU/ml and at week 6 I *should* be producing enough to make a big thick line on the T screen. Ugh :(

Given your dates I wouldn't think you're pregnant. The luteal phase (the time in between ovulation and your period, the time in which the egg implants) is an average of 14 days. It varies woman to woman but they say a LP of 10 days or more is what you need for the egg to implant. 9 days or less means that the egg is unlikely to implant as it's not enough time.

If you're sure ov day was 7 days before af was due, that wouldn't be enough time for the egg to implant and for you to get a positive pregnancy test. If you're still getting negatives, I would say you're not pg but going to the doctor is the right move as they will be able to check properly for you. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Just want to add. If you do use pull out method and are **good** at it it can be effective. I'm allergic to the pill and after discussing with my oh that of we got pregnant it wouldn't be bad just not great timing we decided to use this this method years ago. 7 years it worked for. Until we decided to start ntnp and within 3 months we got pregnant with our son. We have used the same method since having him on and off between all our tries for a sibling. So far only one unexpected (chemical very early 4+3 is loss) pregnancy and that's after about 14 years?

Last edited:
According to your tests you're not pregnant. I don't know where you got your ovulation date from as you ovulate +/-14 days prior to getting your period. It can be shorter but not longer.

Aside from that, dieting in combination with smoking can cause nausea. Cravings too from dieting. Pain in your lower abdomen would more likely to indicate that your ovulation is coming up soon rather than that it's already been. Try to use a couple of ovulation tests. Bbt charting only works if you do it continuously at the same time every morning and now what is normal and what's not.

I would suggest having protected sex until you stop smoking.

Another thing if you don't want to get pregnant and don't want to give up smoking yet id get something like the coil as you have increased risk for bloodclotting and thrombosis on the pill.

Given your dates I wouldn't think you're pregnant. The luteal phase (the time in between ovulation and your period, the time in which the egg implants) is an average of 14 days. It varies woman to woman but they say a LP of 10 days or more is what you need for the egg to implant. 9 days or less means that the egg is unlikely to implant as it's not enough time.

If you're sure ov day was 7 days before af was due, that wouldn't be enough time for the egg to implant and for you to get a positive pregnancy test. If you're still getting negatives, I would say you're not pg but going to the doctor is the right move as they will be able to check properly for you. Good luck :)

Thank you so much for your reply!! Yeah, seems pregnancy is a lot more complex than just having sex around ovulation time.

AF hasn't come yet but I'm feeling more cramps everyday which makes me think this could be a really bad trick from nature trying to prank me ;)

I tried to go to the doctors yesterday but there were many of my work colleagues there and I didn't want them to hear me ask the lady if they did pregnancy tests there so I'll go today again to get an appointment.

Just want to add. If you do use pull out method and are **good** at it it can be effective. I'm allergic to the pill and after discussing with my oh that of we got pregnant it wouldn't be bad just not great timing we decided to use this this method years ago. 7 years it worked for. Until we decided to start ntnp and within 3 months we got pregnant with our son. We have used the same method since having him on and off between all our tries for a sibling. So far only one unexpected (chemical very early 4+3 is loss) pregnancy and that's after about 14 years?

Thanks for sharing!! My boyfriend controls himself very well, which I'm proud of. But we know his mom got pregnant with the POM and his best friend too. I suspect that for his mom they was simply didn't do it correctly as they probably didn't have the internet to work out every detail but in the case of his best friend, I suppose it was a lack of control.

According to your tests you're not pregnant. I don't know where you got your ovulation date from as you ovulate +/-14 days prior to getting your period. It can be shorter but not longer.

Aside from that, dieting in combination with smoking can cause nausea. Cravings too from dieting. Pain in your lower abdomen would more likely to indicate that your ovulation is coming up soon rather than that it's already been. Try to use a couple of ovulation tests. Bbt charting only works if you do it continuously at the same time every morning and now what is normal and what's not.

I would suggest having protected sex until you stop smoking.

Another thing if you don't want to get pregnant and don't want to give up smoking yet id get something like the coil as you have increased risk for bloodclotting and thrombosis on the pill.

For the dates, I have an app that calculates it and I just checked the calendar and the September 9th is indeed 14 days before September 23rd so I don't see where i'm miscalculating.

I don't think ovulation tests matter anymore for this cycle, I'll just go to the doctor and get it done with so I have an accurate result.

I'm starting the pill again as soon as I get my period. Thanks for your reply :)

The app based the ovulation date on a 28 day cycle. You said you can be irregular without the pill and therefor the calculation based on 28 days is likely to be wrong.

Periods are regulated by the pill because it's a withdrawal bleed and not a period that's why it's make you regular.

You could be pregnant from having unprotected sex because you believed your ovulation was early in September based on the app. Also you can get pregnant from pre-cum and sperm can live up to 7 days in the womb, but it's more likely to be early days which would explain why you're not getting positives. Another reason would be because you're stressed and that's why af hasn't shown yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back