Pregnancy Supplement minus Folic and Vitamin D???

DanniiM85

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am 12wks 1 day pregnant and I have been prescribed Folic acid 5mg and Vitamin D (Adcal) tablets by my midwife.

I asked the chemist if it is still ok to take my PregnaCare supplements, she said no.

Can anyone recommend a supplement which is minus the Folic acid and Vitamin D?

Thanks

Hi Dannii,

I met midwife when almost 13 weeks and she said I could stop folic acid and all other vitamins and only take vitamin D.. You get all the vitamins from food ( so no need to multivitamins ) and no need to take folic acid after 12 weeks but vitamin D is important to continue with she said.. I am still taking the last tablets of Folic acid+vitamin D.

Sorry if confusing.

It's really better to try to get all you need from a varied diet rather than multi vitamins. The vitamins are not particularly well absorbed, so most is passed in your wee anyway rather than benefiting you.

Folic acid is a bit iffy too. Folate which is found naturally in veg, especially leafy greens & cauliflower etc, and in lentils, is necessary, but folic acid is the synthetic version and most people lack the ability to convert it into a usable compound, instead it can build up in your bloodstream. It's really best to look for a supplement of Folate if you are going to supplement at all.
http://wellnessmama.com/12543/folic-acid-vs-folate/

It's really better to try to get all you need from a varied diet rather than multi vitamins. The vitamins are not particularly well absorbed, so most is passed in your wee anyway rather than benefiting you.

Folic acid is a bit iffy too. Folate which is found naturally in veg, especially leafy greens & cauliflower etc, and in lentils, is necessary, but folic acid is the synthetic version and most people lack the ability to convert it into a usable compound, instead it can build up in your bloodstream. It's really best to look for a supplement of Folate if you are going to supplement at all.
http://wellnessmama.com/12543/folic-acid-vs-folate/

I totally agree with this, that is why I use viridian health supplements :)

If you do want some other supplements have a look at what the pregnancy vitamins have in them and then find the supplements on their own. But as Pheonix said there really is nothing better than getting it from a healthy diet :dance:

xx

Dannii I also have been prescribed higher dose of folic acid - my midwife told me yesterday that I have to take folic acid and vitamin d throughout my pregnancy and vitamin d afterwards for breast feeding. I don't think you need anything else supplements wise. I got prescribed the higher dose due to higher bmi and apparently if you have a higher bmi you should take both supplements throughout pregnancy. Xx

Weird, i was told to stop taking folic acid at my last app (12 weeks) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back