Pregnancy after Pre- eclampsia

Cherrycola

Reaction score
Great idea for a new area to the forum!

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for ladies who are pregnant after having pre-eclampsia. In my first pregnancy I was diagnosed with PE at 34+4. I had gone to my GP to get more cream for my eczema and when I was there mentioned my feet were slightly swollen. She took my blood pressure which was 189/121, I also had 3+ of protein in my wee. I was sent up to the hospital where it was also discovered that my DD was in distress so I was put on a magnesium sulphate infusion and taken straight to theatre for an emergency c section. My DD was IUGR weighing 3lb 4oz. We were both taken directly to intensive care and I finally got to see her 48 hours later. She had a 4 week stay in hospital and eventually came home weighing just under 4lb. Other than being slow to gain weight (she is now 16 months and weighs around 16lb) she has no other problems.

I am now 29 weeks pregnant with baby no.2! This time round I have been consultant led. I have been on low dose aspirin since 12 weeks and have had 4 weekly growth scans since 20 weeks. I am finding it hard to relax and enjoy this pregnancy as I am terrified this baby will also have to be delivered early and I have no idea how I would cope with a baby in neo-natal and my DD at home. Is anyone else in a similar situation? x

I has pre eclampsia with my second ( all 3 of my kids have same dad so this was rare and wasn't formally diagnosis till after delivery !) was consultant led with all 3 but had regular growth scans and I also was on aspirin ( with my 3rd) Only had a couple of random + for proteins and occasional raised bp and all was fine had her at 38 weeks try not to worry Hun it is rare to get it twice but glad they r keeping an eye on u xxx

Hi, good idea to start this thread. I had preeclampsia with my daughter. It was missed even though midwife noted protein in my urine, high Bp and uterus measuring small for dates.

In the end at 37 weeks I went for a checkup and was sent straight to hospital for a growth scan. My babe was only measuring 30 weeks so I was induced there and then.

She was born safely in the end. Thank God. It did get quite scarey though. She weighed in at 4lb and was only on <0.4th centile. She still hasn't caught up much. Now 4th centile at 12 months old.

I am worried that the same will happen again!

Last edited:
Can I ask a personal question? I promise there's a reason :lol:

Does this baby have the same father as your first?

tapatalking!!!

I'll explain :lol:
Your chances of pre-eclampsia are reduced when your second child is with the same dad as your first. Also there are loads of other factors ie, if any of your close relatives have had it etc.
I had pre-eclampsia with my DD and had an emergency c-section at 33+3. Eva was born absolutely fine and weighed 4lbs 6 and came home 8 days later.
I was monitored extremely closely when pregnant with DS but my blood pressure was perfect. He still suffered from iugr though and was 6lbs 4 at 41+2.
They will.keep a really good eye on you and baby xx

tapatalking!!!

Yeah this baby does have the same dad as my DD. I have been told that the chance of it happening again is around 20%, so I'm trying to look at it as a 80% chance of everything being fine!

They have been keeping a very close eye on me this time round. My blood pressure has been a bit up and down and I have been signed off work a few times when it has been high but it does seem to stabilize itself.

The growth scans are also going really well, with the baby being close to the 95th centile this time which I am sure has a lot to do with the aspirin. It's really reassuring as most of the problems last time were caused by my DD being so small for gestation.

It's really reassuring to know that others have gone to term after having pre-eclampsia. Noor have you been put on aspirin this pregnancy? x

Hi cherrycola. I have not been put on anything. Although, I am only 11 weeks now. They are going to give me growth scans every month from 28 weeks. Good luck with ur pregnancy x

I've never had this with it been my first pregnancy but I want to give all you ladies massive *hugs* and support.

what an excellent idea for a thread. I too had pre eclampsia my bp was very high and the protein in my urine was 10+ so they were extremely worried. I was in hospital for 3 weeks before i had an emergency C section as i started getting headaches, flashing lights in my eyes and blurred vision - this is usually when it starts to develop into eclampsia. i was very poorly and am terrified it will happen again when i eventually decide to have another child. My baby was born at 32+2 and 3lb3oz. she did great and is now a year old! and such a happy baby!

Well Im on my third pregnancy and had pre-eclampsia with my first.
I've been put on aspirin this time x

tapatalking!!!

i had pre-eclampsia with my 1st, was admitted to hospital at 39+4 and induced at 39+5 so no early delivery. he was 7lb 11oz arriving on 39+6

I had low blood pressure with my 2nd - so that was ultimately strange imo! she also arrived (not by induction) 39+6 weighing 9lb

I had it with my first! I woke up on the sat morning 36+5 I felt like a balloon! So I rang my me and she came out and tested my urine and blood pressure! Straight away she was on the phone booking me in for induction! They kept me on the ward monitoring me till mon morning then took me down to start inducing me! I had 3 lots of pesaries over 24 hours! They broke my waters at 9am tue morning and he arrived very quickly at 9.47. :) weighing only 5lb! He was classed healthy so didn't go to neonatal!
This baby is a different donor so I am preparing myself for getting it again! :( I haven't been put on anything either I think they are just going to check my no regularly!

I had it with my first! I woke up on the sat morning 36+5 I felt like a balloon! So I rang my me and she came out and tested my urine and blood pressure! Straight away she was on the phone booking me in for induction! They kept me on the ward monitoring me till mon morning then took me down to start inducing me! I had 3 lots of pesaries over 24 hours! They broke my waters at 9am tue morning and he arrived very quickly at 9.47. :) weighing only 5lb! He was classed healthy so didn't go to neonatal!
This baby is a different donor so I am preparing myself for getting it again! :( I haven't been put on anything either I think they are just going to check my no regularly!

Yikes you must be worried!
How far on are you? (can't see tickers)
I know they don't use aspirin till after 12 weeks xx

tapatalking!!!

I had pre - eclampsia with my 1st & was induced at 39 weeks as Harrison was in distress :( With my 2nd Katie all was fine :)

I wouldn't worry too much chick as you know the signs so i'm sure if anything was to be wrong you would more than likely know!

Good luck xxx

Hi Every1, Just thought id share my story. My 1st pregnancy I was found 2 b pre-eclamptic when I went into labour at 24weeks!! (Scary stuff) my contractions were stopped thankfully but my BP stayed high and I had protein in my urine. I was in and out of hospital having the baby checked constantly, was being given steroid injections to help babies lungs grow and was always told the baby will be very small (I didnt even get a bump till week 32) I ended up being induced at 34weeks and had to have an epidural due to my BP so I had such an easy labour as I felt nothing. I gave birth to a gorgeous HEALTHY baby boy weighing 5lb4oz and we was both out of hospital the next day!! I have been put in the high risk category this pregnancy and am being monitored which isnt a bad thing! xxxx

Hi girls with my first baby everything was fine and when i fell preg with my second(diff dad) at 34 weeks my bp shot up i got headaches and felt poorly my midwife admitted me and i was in hosp on and off untill they induced me at 38 weeks. I had to be put on bp tablets 4 times a day and am still on them now. Normally to get rid of high bp you deliver baby but mine is still high :( iv got to have a bp monitor on at home tomorrow for 24 hours to see if its just high when i go to see doctors... Im praying thats the case so they can start reducing my meds otherwise im on bp tablets for the rest of my life and even if i did ever want a baby i would be advised against it!!!

Aww thats terrible :( I was 1 of the lucky 1s 2 have BP return 2 normal after giving birth. Do you have an issue with weight at all? Please dont take offence by this its just wen I was overweight I suffered with BP problems too xxx

i didnt have untill id had my 2nd baby, i was a healthy weight before then, but since iv had her and been on bp tablets all i do is eat iv put on 2 stone since falling with her, but lost most of it when she was born and gradually put it back on, iv asked if i can go to thy gym and theyve said no. i walk near enough everywhere but it doesnt budge because i eat to much rubbish! im going to tell the doctor tomorrow when i have my bp mnitor took off. :(

Thats exactly how I was hun, its just a matter of trying ur very best 2 eat healthy (Sooo hard I know) but atleast then u can say uve done all u can 2 bring ur BP down and hopefully u wont have 2 b on meds 4eva & maybe u could have another pregnancy. Always here if u need a chat and support! let me know how u get on at the docs xxxx Good luck & sending hugs xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back