Pregnancy after placental abruption

Shell99

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering if anybody has experienced a placental abruption before?

My daughter who is almost 8 years old now and healthy etc, was delivered at 36 + 4 via a crash c section due to an abruption. She was only 3lb 14oz and spent aprox 2 weeks in scbu.

Thanks to docs picking up her dipping heart rate when I went in with awful abdominal pain we were both lucky to survive.

At the time I didn't know the full implications of an abruption and was just focussing on getting my daughter strong and well.

as far as I am aware, the cause for the abruption is unknown and no problems were identified prior to the delivery.

I am now 5 weeks pregnant, have had my gp apt to confirm and refer me to midwife etc and am taking 400 mcg folic acid daily - that's it

I have around 4 weeks to see the midwife and understand this preg will be deemed as high risk as once you've had 1 abruption youre at a greater risk of another, plus her low birth weight and the fact she was c section etc

From what I gather from googling, Im likely to be under consultant care etc which I am all for! I couldn't bare it to all happen again or even worse.

I have read some ladies that have been through this are on asprin daily right from bfp and 500 mg folic acid aswell as all the additional monitoring etc.

I'll be 8 or 9 weeks by time I see midwife let alone get refd to consultant, what if I should be taking these too :-/

Any experiences ladies??? re the aspirin and folic acid but also in general, how were/is your subsequent pregnanacy

Happy to hear from anybody the more I know the better. Sorry for the long post xx

I've had no experience of placental abruption so I can't help at all there, but didn't want to read and run. I'm high risk for a different reason (40% kidney function after acute renal failure several years ago). I didn't see my midwife till 8/9 weeks, and had my first consultant appointment at 10/11 weeks, and now I see them both once a month. The consultant put me on aspirin - I was already taking folic acid at a much higher dose for the kidneys, but if I hadn't been then I would have started taking that then too.

If you're worried that you're going to have to wait too long I would ring your GP and talk it through. My guess is it's standard practice for consultants to see people and start medication at ~10 weeks so I don't think you have anything to worry about there, but I completely sympathize and I think your GP can put your mind at rest. I remember worrying that they'd forgotten about me at the beginning too.

Good luck. :) Hopefully someone else with experience of placental abruption will come along and post soon.

A friend of a friend had a placental abruption, unfortunately the baby didn't survive. She has however gone on too have another baby with no problems at all. not sure what happened through pregnancy regarding care and observation etc xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back