Pregnancy after food issues

H_Savage

Reaction score
Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely cannot *wait* to be pregnant, but I'm terrified of gaining weight. I did used to have some problems with food (hopefully not to a level which will affect my fertility, as my periods didn't stop at any point) and although I was underweight for quite a while, I'm perfectly healthy now and channel my focus into eating well and exercising.

I hope as soon as I do get that bfp, the last vestiges of fear over my weight will go away, but as much as I want a baby, thinking about my body changing beyond my control is so scary. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I realise this probably sounds shallow, but I'm really not, I very much want to get past this for good. I didn't want to make this my first post, as I'm a bit worried about how this will come across!

not something i have been through but i dont think you shoudl worry. yes you will gain weught and your body will change dring pregnancy but its all for the good of the baby. as long as you dont go mental and eat cream cakes and pringles all day the weight will come off reasonably quickly. check this out - http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/weightgain/ as you can see about 28lbs is average weight gain but about 17lbs of that is baby related stuff, blood, fluid, baby, boob tissues etc. the actual "fat" gain is minimal and essential for breast feeding.

dont feel like you will be the only person who feels this. the changes that go on are very overwhelming!

Not really the same but I go to the gym really regularly, I do a class every other night, sometimes two classes in a row. I do quite high impact stuff and have worked quite hard to build stamina and fitness.
I haven't stepped foot in the gym since the beginning of my 2ww and I already feel my fitness withering.
I'm going to continue to swim and lightly exercise but I do worry about all of my hard work going to waste.
I cannot wait for a big bump, just hope I can stay fit too xx

Thanks girls! My husband is incredibly supportive about this, so I know he'll help keep me balanced when it does happen no matter how I feel.

Cosmic, do you know how much can you actually work out when you're preg? I'd guess anything high-impact is off limits? Unfortunate for me, as my thing is running. I've gymmed before, but much prefer a run.

Thing is, I think pregnant women look fantabulous and get such bump envy, so I hope when it happens for me I'll be all about the bump and totally in love with myself. Although I don't like the idea of knowing what I weigh. I stopped using scales a few years ago and it's been so helpful.

I've had weight and food issues in the past. When I was in an unhappy relationship, I just stopped eating and was extremely skinny for a long time. It got so bad that I remember being taken out of a few classes by a few different teachers asking me if I was ok and if I felt I needed to talk to someone. I was about a UK4!! Which is ridiculous!
I'm now an 8 but was a 10 at my biggest but even though I'm 14wks pregnant and absolutely petrified of being a fatty, I know I won't be! Its just not in my genes and I enjoy being thin far too much to allow the baby weight to stick.

I look at the women who"ve had babies and are able to get their figures back. I know it won't happen right away, but I know the kind of person I am, and I know I won't let myself go just because I'm a mummy.

I already have a little bump, and I'm so proud of it its unreal! I know it seems daunting but trust me, once u get ur BFP, all u care about is that ur LO is healthy. Xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I haven't had food issues (opposite of any) but I have really struggled with the not exercising thing.

I used to cycle anywhere between 50-100 miles a week, play netball twice a week and go hiking on weekends. This has ALL stopped, at first it was because the doc told me to take it easy, then I did a bit and felt guilty and now I am physically unable to anything other than walk to the office from the car park because i end up in too much pain.

I know not everyone is unluckily like this but is worth a thought so you don't end up really shocked about it like I have been

Just listen to your body and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I don't think they weigh you at check ups anymore - pg girls will be able to tell you that for sure though. Don't return to the scales, you are so right, they encourage disordered eating and are unhelpful for a lot of us. I know I haven't weighed myself for two years and am so much more relaxed about my body now and thinner than when I used to be jumping on and off them every few hours!

A lot of women who have struggled with food find being pregnant helps them to see food as a fuel for their baby and develop a much healthier relationship to it. I'm sure you'll be the same.

Weight worries are an issue for the majority of women to some degree or another - you aren't alone or shallow. Good luck ttc xxx

Thanks girls! My husband is incredibly supportive about this, so I know he'll help keep me balanced when it does happen no matter how I feel.

Cosmic, do you know how much can you actually work out when you're preg? I'd guess anything high-impact is off limits? Unfortunate for me, as my thing is running. I've gymmed before, but much prefer a run.

Thing is, I think pregnant women look fantabulous and get such bump envy, so I hope when it happens for me I'll be all about the bump and totally in love with myself. Although I don't like the idea of knowing what I weigh. I stopped using scales a few years ago and it's been so helpful.

You can continue light exercise but I'm too paranoid. I'm only going to swim and maybe cycling xx

Heya!
As someone who has battled with eating disorders since 12 I was petrified about the weight gain aspect. I was a size 8 pre-pregnancy but after 14 weeks my clothes snug to say the least.

I used to to go to the gym around 5 times a week doing a mix of spin, HIIT and body pump. Also I am a Karate instructor and took a class once a week.... In terms of exercise I have dropped my Karate classes and all the high intensity work outs, I am just too exhausted to go to the gym so at 6 weeks I froze my gym membership and just use my cross trainer at home....my fitness levels have dropped and my muscle tone is none existant (which is partly why my clothes feel tighter).

I thought I would really battle.... but I haven't. I think I have managed to reconcile myself to the fact that regardless I will put on weight, it just does not have to be huge amounts. Also any weight I do gain I can loose over a period of time....

I have good days and bad days, mostly good though because this whole process of pregnancy is pretty magical. Just thinking about the end result even more so....

If you ever want to chant/rant just PM me x

I was training for a half marathon when I got my bfp and really pushing myself hard along with cardio and weights. I have toned it down alot but still exercise most days I do a light jog rather then full on run an stay away from weights bit still do some cardio. I eat really healthy to. I can't wait to get my bump and look pregnant but I an on staying as fit as possible during my pregnancy. X

Hey hun, I completely understand where you're coming from. I have had food issues in the past and have been careful (but not obsessive in anyway) with my diet ever since. I did worry I would struggle with the weight gain in pregnancy and my OH has kept an eye out and been very sweet and complementary about my figure just in case I have a wobble. To be honest at 20 weeks I haven't actually gained a huge amount of weight as I have eaten healthy and continued to walk our 2 dogs everyday and I'm loving my little bump. I think it's because I see it as my baby not weight gain and for the first time in a long time I love my body.

As for conceiving after having food issues, my cousin was severely anorexic and bulimic for quite a few years and now has a healthy bouncy 8 month old :) Good luck hun xxx

Thanks so much everyone. It's really reassuring to know that I'm not alone in thinking like this and that some of you have got pregnant after similar issues and done really well. You've all said so much which is really helpful! I genuinely feel so much better x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back