Pregnacare conception tablets warning!

julesrainbow

Reaction score
Hiya,

I know lots of you may well take the pregnacare conception vitamins with success, but I just wanted to share my experience as a word of warning.
I started taking them in September (around the middle of my cycle) as we were planning on ttc in Dec, thought I would start early so that they were in my system. October was fairly uneventful, but then I doubt the vitamins would have got into my system. In November I noticed that my cm wasn't as stretchy, it was thick jelly, but snapped easily (sorry tmi). Then in Dec I had one day of egg white cm (prior to this I usually had 5 days of egg white cm!!!), my period was late and I spotted for three days before (totally uncharacteristic for me). As I had been suffering from a cold mid-cycle, I put the lack of fertile cm down to that. So January came (our first proper month trying) and again I had one day with egg white cm and it was a pathetic amount. Again my period was late and I spotted for three days before. Obviously I was beginning to get stressed out about it all, especially as my body felt like it was pregnant but I consistently got negative results.
Wracking my brains as to what I had done differently, I decided to stop taking pregnacare conception to see if this made a difference. Well this month I have had three days of very good quality egg white cm, which has occurred much earlier than the last few cycles - I'm hoping this means that my period won't be late for no other reason than a positive test result.
I know some women have found the tablets to be good for them, but I'm just warning you that they may not be for everyone. I had a regular cycle, ovulated and had plenty of egg white cm and upon taking them my cycle etc... knackered up. Healthy eating and plain old folic acid is all I will be taking in the future!!!
Good luck ladies :dust:

That's interesting! Af is usually on time and I don't get spotting, but I have noticed that I don't seem to get stretchy ewcm. I have been taking pregnacare since July!
Hmmm, maybe I'll try some different supplements next cycle and see if it makes a difference!

It's definately worth a try, because without the good stuff it will be harder to conceive.
I'm really angry that I have wasted two months, but at least my body seems to be getting back to normal. Hopefully next month I will be back to 5 days of extra fertile cm.
I've just bought the standard folic acid and vitamin d from boots. I have some of the sanatogen 'mother to be' but am scared to take anything now. If/when I get pregnant, I will start taking them.
You'll have to let me know whether you see a difference!

Hiya
I know we have already talked about this between ourselves but thought I would message on this thread too as I also had a bad experience with pregnacare. After reading reviews online it would seem that some women (not all- and lots of women report them helping so I guess there is a fair bit of individual differences) have found they increase their cycle length and create 'fake' pregnancy symptoms.
I started taking them at the beginning of January so they would be in my system ready for my last cycle. I ovulated 4 days late, and my af showed 5 days late. In the 2nd week of the 2ww, my boobs grew and became really sore, I felt lethargic and really exhausted most of the time, my skin broke out, my stomach hurt, I kept waking up during the night and having really vivid dreams, I was physically sick and particular smells were making me ill (e.g. tea). I wasn't too sure whether it was the vitamins, but they were the only supplement I was taking, and having read similar stories online I think it is fairly likely that it was the pregnacare that caused the difference. The most frustrating thing was the increase in cycle length- I waited a long time after coming off the injection to get regular cycles, and feel incredibly annoyed that these tablets seem to have mucked them up again.
I too have stopped taking the tablets now and so far am feeling much better- my stomach ache has stopped and I am not feeling queasy any more. I'm hoping that it gets out of my system quickly so that I ovulate at the right time again.

If you are taking pregnacare and not noticed any difference in your symptoms or cycles then great- like I said, it appears that a lot of people find them fine. But if you have noticed any changes, perhaps try and stop taking them for a month or so and see whether things go back to normal?

I really wish I'd never started taking them! The 2ww is bad enough without a load of fake symptoms! x

Thanks for adding Naomi!
Those tablets are evil in my opinion, but like you say, if people on here are taking them and haven't found a difference then ignore our warnings. Just wish I'd done a bit more research before I spent a fortune on the things! x

Definitely. I've still got two packets in the cupboard- what a waste!

Do you know I have perm twangy boobs (most of cycle) and feel like im hormonally out of balance thought it was just me, older and have had tube ops etc which can do that but I have been taking this since sept /oct I think...

Well I'm on last sheet of packet, just a few left, was going to move on to pregnancy vits, as I brought them on offer at start of feb, 3 for 2, and i'm going to get me a bfp soon , ha ha positve thinking you see, so maybee I will try them, mind you they are pregnancare too I think.... maybee they will be the same..

Interesting , food for thought, thanks for posting

Last edited:
It's is said u dont need all that stuff in Pregnacare if u have a gd average det all u need is folic acid :) xx

Do you know I have perm twangy boobs (most of cycle) and feel like im hormonally out of balance thought it was just me, older and have had tube ops etc which can do that but I have been taking this since sept /oct I think...

Well I'm on last sheet of packet, just a few left, was going to move on to pregnancy vits, as I brought them on offer at start of feb, 3 for 2, and i'm going to get me a bfp soon , ha ha positve thinking you see, so maybee I will try them, mind you they are pregnancare too I think.... maybee they will be the same..

Interesting , food for thought, thanks for posting

Think the normal pregnacare original supplements have quite different quantities of the vitamins so you might be ok on those?
I was also thinking that I was just getting old but ten couldn't understand why I would dry up so quickly - I'm 31 not bloody 61!!! Ha ha ha... X

I'd been reading posts about Pregnacare vitamins and most say they have side effects. I wanted to convince myself I was not going crazy or being over sensitive and overreacting. I've been using these vitamins for 3months and now know it's really not good for me. Every month just before my next (7days before) AF I get loads of pregnancy symptoms: headaches, mild cramping, tingling/sore/tender breasts, darkened and enlarged areola, high basal temperature for days, tiredness......then my AF would be a day or two late.....all excited I would think I was pregnant but test was always BFN! Then AF starts as usual. It's happened to me again this cycle and AF started today with all the above symptoms still lingering and yet again heartbroken. I've decided to stop these and see my GP and maybe start on simple folic tablets. No doubt it works for some, but certainly not me. Enough of these "fake" symptoms. Best wishes ladies, best wishes....

Hmm interesting, thanks ladies, my EWCM has been pretty scanty in the last few months, maybe I'll stop with pregnacare for a bit - I've run out anyway! X

I feel a bit stupid I never thought to research these tablets before taking them I just assumed they'd be good! I only started taking them in mid-January would they be in my system already? I've had nausea for last couple of days and other unusual symptoms for me......I've been daring to think it might be a BFP on the way but maybe it's the damn pills! I've already got a 36/37 day cycle the last thing I need is for it to get any longer. Will see when AF appears and if it's late I am stopping these pills pronto!

This is interesting, I have been taking these since Feb last year (had a few months off when I got pregnant). I haven't had a problem with my cycles or anything, but rarely have any EWCM......I wonder now if these would have anything do with it?!? I too have symptoms every month, I just thought it was me lol. I have experimented with the other ones i.e boots own and the sanatagen ones, but took these as they had l'argenine in them which i know is meant to be good for ttc. Hmmm think once i finish the pack I might give them a rest and see if there is any change.

I definitely think if you've got suspicions that they're impacting on symptoms/cycle length/ewcm etc it's worth coming off them for a few cycles and seeing if it makes a difference.

It's not to say that everyone will get issues on them- im sure they must work for some people. I really didn't like them though xxx

thanks for the warning, i was going to get some this evening but might just get plain old folic acid to be on the safe side!

I took them for a few months last year, but I wasn't taking too much notice of what was happening as we were going very relaxed about it all back then. They should be out of my system now, but now I'm wondering what I did to my cycles while i was taking them.......

I'm now off to research the vitamins I am taking atm.....

I started taking these last week. Think I'll stick to folic acid and the other vitamins I usually take. I'm sure these side effects might not affect everyone but it's not worth the risk, and I suppose I don't want to waste any time! Thanks for the tip off!

Hi guys I started taking it this cycle and I have had no cm now I know what is probably causing it I think I will just use plain old folic acid I didn't look into it either just assumed it would be good for you disappointing to find out otherwise good luck ladies xx

I take boots conception vitamins, do you think they'd have the same effect? Been having a few pregnancy symptoms but bfn! x

Oh no!!! I don't know what to do now! I've been taking them for about 6 weeks and now I think about it, I dried up a lot last month (sorry too much info!) and now I don't know whether to stop taking them? I should be ov'ing in a weeks time so do you think it's going to be too late if I stop now? Oh what to do? I was going to try the seven seas ones, now I'm thinking just take the frolic acid!
All these things to think about! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back