Pre-term 33 wks

wanderer2017

Reaction score
Is there any possibility that a baby born at 33-wk preterm will not undergo NICU and will be taken home immediately with her mom? Any idea?

Hi, I would say probably not I'm afraid... they are likely to be tiny and will probably need help with feeding and breathing x

I doubt it Hun will depend on birth weight and lung development xx my ds1 was born at 33 weeks weighing 2lb14 and spent 3 weeks in NICU, no breathing or health problems but just had to put the weight on xx good luck xx

I was 12wk early and I was in hospital till more or less my due date bit that was in the 80's! I suppose it depends on how developed the babies organs are. I think a safer zone is 37wk plus so baby would most likely be in hospiral for at least a month. X

My sister had to have an emergency C-section at 34 weeks due to a flu she contracted which basically dropped her blood pressure to zero. Thankfully the baby was a big one at 6lb 6oz!! She (the baby) did loose a little weight and there were some early issues latching on, but mainly it was because she was just so sleepy it was hard to wake her up to feed. She did get a little jaundice but it went away after 48 hours. My poor sister was quarantined for the first 48 hours due to not knowing what flu she had at the time (they suspected swine flu but turned out no). In total the baby was in for just one week then was able to go home, with no further issues.

I think to be honest it would depend on the baby's weight, as she was quite heavy for this far along I believe, so that made a big difference to how she coped out of the womb

My sister-in-law recently gave birth at 33-weeks, she had to stay in the hospital for one week and the baby had to stay for two. It went really well with both of them, baby has gained weight and is developing as normal. Baby was 1800grams. In my country babies born in hospital at 33-weeks have a 98% chance of survival.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back