Pre eclampsia

mablestarr

Reaction score
Would appreciate if anyone who has had pre eclampisa or knows someone who's had it would share their experiences of it. Mainly the symptoms etc.

I've had protein in urine twice now, last week and this week, 1st week there was trace second week there was a bit more. Although at this stage not overly concerned. Since about 28 weeks I've been on labetalol to keep blood pressure down and that seems to be working. And for the last two scans last wednesday and the wednesday before the blood flow in the cord hasn't been great and so indicates that there is a bit of a problem.

The thing is the drs seem to suggest that I will develop pre eclampsia as all signs suggest it, and so have told me to look out for headaches (not getting any), blurry vision, pain in the chest area etc. Also to monitor movements.

And its just making me a bit paranoid. I'm getting regular movements, but last night had a bit of a strange feeling, spots in front of my eyes, then thought I felt some strange pain (but not painful) at the top of my bump.

I'm back in hospital again on Wednsday but feel like they kind of expect me to go in over the weekend to be checked over as the drs were insisting that I contacted the hospital if there was any concern. I'm not too concerned because generally I feel ok, but then I want to make sure baby is ok and not but in any harm.

Also even if baby had to be born today/tomorrow/this week its nowhere near as early as my last one so I'm just so glad to make it this far.

I had pre-eclampsia from around 28 weeks. It wasn't diagnosed until 36 weeks as I stupidly assumed that the symptoms I was getting were because I wasn't able to take my usual tablets for migraine.

I didn't have a constant headache, I had two extremely severe headaches - one on 2 Jan and the other a couple of days before they did the c-section. In between, I had a couple of "normal" headaches and a couple of episodes of seeing spots in front of my eyes. These were like little sparkly silver dots and only lasted a minute or so. I'd never experienced them before a migraine, but assumed it was a different presentation because I was pregnant. Baby moved slightly less towards the end, but not enough to make me feel anxious. I got swelling in my ankles to start with (when I was 27 weeks) and this gradually got worse, but it was so gradual, I hardly noticed that either.

I never had blurry vision or chest pains, despite my bp ultimately rising to 220/110!

I would say if the spots in front of your eyes are a new symptom, you should probably get it checked out. I never really felt unwell, except when I got the awful migraine at 36 weeks - it was exceptionally painful, but by that time I'd got protein ++++ and an extremely high bp. They had to try an induction, then I had an emergency c-section.

I think the moral of my story is do get yourself checked out, even if it's just spots in front of your eyes - this IS a symptom of pre-eclampsia. Don't let it get to the stage mine got to. It's not worth it.

Hope all goes well xx

It is not chest pain but epigastric pain they want you to look out for. Just above the stomach and below the chest. It is where your liver is situated. As said headaches that are not helped with paracetamol, blurred vision, floaters or black spots and another sign is swelling in hands legs and feet. The spots are a concern and at the very least you need your urine tested and BP checked.

I developed bad pre-eclampsia last time. It started a little like yours in that the protien very gradually got higher, BP was creeping up slightly, but othewise I felt okay! I went to Midwife at 37+5 and didn;t come out of hospital until I had baby by emergancy c-section. Even if it is nothing, it is MUCH better to be checked out than not.

What actually is pre eclampsia?
Is it that your body isn't doing something it should, or baby is doing something to your body?
Does anything in particular cause it? As in, are any particular people more likely to get it? x

Hope your ok mable, id tell them about spots in front of eyes, so pleased your so much further on this time than little Tomos was xx

Good luck mable , i shall be stalking you these next 5 weeks now to see how you get on xxxx

You should definitely keep an eye on it but trace amounts of protein can just be from the extra strain on your body from being pregnant without it being PE. I was worried about PE because my mum had it and I have high BP. I bought test strips from ebay and tested for protein myself. I got a trace reading about once a week and slightly higher a couple of times, when I hadn't drunk enough and urine was concentrated, but it never amounted to anything. I delivered at 41+10 without any problems.

Hi Jen

I'm good thanks. No protein this week, and baby has put on over a pound in 2 weeks :)

I've had a couple of headaches again but dr said if they go away with paracetamol then not to worry.

Seeing midwife for general check next week then I'm booked in for a scan and a stretch & sweep on the 27th of june, will be just over 38 weeks by then.

Hopefully can get labour started without induction, but will just have to see how it goes.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back