Pre-conception GP consultation

Annie Frish

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Annie, French, living in London with my Irish husband.

When we decided to TTC, we started reading books and articles and it seemed to us that we had to go and see a GP. We would discuss vaccinations, health conditions, family health history, etc.

However this morning the GP didnt say anything. She said we had nothing to do but start trying. No mention of my vaccinations or anything. It looks a bit too easy.

Do you think I should go and see someone else?

Thank you in advance. I have to say I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:
I've only really herd of the flu vac but that's when you are pregnant.
You should have had vacs as a child?
You need start taking (if you haven't already) folic acid, or a pre conception vitamin (this has folic acid in).
Thats all i did when we started trying. Lots of other ladies might share what they did when they stared ttc.
Good luck. X

Last edited:
Welcome!

I'm currently in my first 2 week wait! First month TTC so keeping fingers crossed! When we started trying, I just started taking Folic Acid - I haven't seen my doc!

Lots of babydust to you!

Thanks ladies, I feel relieved to see it is a normal thing. Lesson learnt: stop reading too many books!

I was offered lots and lots of blood tests for immunity and vitamin deficiencies etc, but that was after four months of ttc and I'd actually gone in about anxiety, so maybe she thought some 'good' test results would calm me down a bit. It did...for a while anyway.

The trick with GPs is generally clear requests and repeat visits. If you do decide you want to check immunity or whatever, go back and request that. Unfortunately GPs are not yet psychic, and are definitely overworked, so help them out where possible :D

It's worth getting your iron levels checked. I take something called Spatone, which is pregnancy friendly and easy to absorb. Folic acid is vital too. I wasn't offered any shots or immunity tests or anything. They might check your weight if that's an issue. Coolnomore is right...you have to ask for what you want. Good luck.

Hey Annie!
I just got back from my gynaecologist today. She had some blood analysed today to see if I was immune to toxoplasmosis, hepatitis and rubella. Checked for HIV as wel as my thyroid function. Since she saw that I will be ovulating tomorrow or the day after, she checked the LH, progesterone and estrogen levels and confirmed that I am almost at my peak. Maybe you could ask your GP for a check up. As soon as I am preggers, I won't have to get checked again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back