Prams/Travel Systems

moss

Reaction score
I am still waiting for my first scan, but I am either close to the end of first trimester or just into my second (I think). I know I still have some time, but I am OBSESSING over finding a pram! I want a carrycot for their first little while, I am against keeping them in it too long (ie when they can walk well), and I don't drive. I live in a city and walk everywhere and for long distances, but I worry I will need a car seat for the occasional taxi ride and the ride home from the hospital, even though I feel like this is almost a waste of money. I also want them to be able to face me. The only decent chairs I can find are very expensive (£350+ with carrycot), and I doubt I will be able to afford that after buying all of the other new baby stuff. I am very open and begging for suggestions!

Oh, and I worry about air-filled tyres in case they pop. Does this happen much?

One more thing, sorry. I really don't know what my budget is. I really like the new Bugaboo Bee, but when you get the car seat and baby nest it ends up being around £450... I also think I like the Bebe Confort, but again, £400. Is this normal price for what I want?
Thank you!

Have a look at the Silver cross sport linear - it comes with lots of snazzy stuff and retails for around £275 on the kiddicare site :)

You dont have to have a car seat for a taxi do you? this is my understanding anyway. if you only need one now and again join your local freecycle group and wait for someone to be giving one away. I got my car seat for 10 pound at a boot fair.Am aware you are advised against buying secong hand though. I would go the shop you want and play with the prams, the pram i liked turned out to be horrible when i actually saw it in front of me. I got my silvercross pram from mothercare and the staff in there were great

I love the look of the Silver Cross travel system. I havn't got it but if I had seen it whilst I was pregnant I probably would have bought it. It is in the sale in Mothercare too(the only thing i'm not sure about with it is how the bars on the bottom are positioned and whether they would make puttting things in to the basket underneath difficult). It is worth actually going in to the shop to actually try the prams out though to see what they feel like to push and how easy to fold they are etc. I have the Trenton Deluxe pram from Mothercare and although I do like as it has lots of good points it is quite big and heavy when folded so I have now bought a buggy instead.

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 8&mcb=core

This is the travel system I have got

If I was in your position, I wouldn't bother with the carseat. You don't need one by law in a taxi and if it very rarely to be used it's a waste. Spend the extra money on getting the pram you really want, as that will be your one big staple thing you will need however you travel. Yes they are expensive but if you really look around you can catch sales in places, and mothercare do this thing where they allow you to pay so much each week until you are ready for delivery when you have to make the final payment. I'm sure other places offer similar schemes but it's certainly worth looking into then you don't have to find all the money at once.

Failing that, it's always worth looking on ebay, you never know what you might find. I was a bit of a pramaholic when I had my first baby and went through several prams until I found one I was happy with. I sold all the nearly new prams I rejected on there and they were in mint condition so others probably do it too.

Oh, and I've had several prams with blow-up tyres and never had a problem with any of them. Might be different if you walk through wooded areas on a regular basis or something but no worse than a bike tyre. They are definately better for baby as they get a much smoother ride and they are so much easier to push around and steer too! Go and have a test push of everything in your local baby store and you will soon find what you like and don't.

I am getting this one.. depends on what sort of pram u want though.. These are doin a deal on the buggy and the carrycot...

http://www.groovystyle.co.uk/productpag ... chair.html

Remember though if u dont buy a carseat u will have to borrow one off someone cos they wont let baby out of hospital without one..If u dont drive and cant borrow one..just buy a cheap one.. Doesnt need to be expensive if u arent going to use it much. Argos do one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ry>C$cip=1500009564.Car+and+booster+seats.htm

We have the Silver Cross 3D system and it's good - difficult to get up at first without dismantling the pram bit but it's sturdy and manoeuvres easily.

Thanks! I am sold for the moment on the Silver Cross ones. I never considered them because I knew about the really expensive old fashion ones, but I am pleasantly surprised by the others!

About the car seat... I think I would need one for a taxi. I don't know! I have never had a baby in a taxi. What else can you do?

moss said:
Thanks! I am sold for the moment on the Silver Cross ones. I never considered them because I knew about the really expensive old fashion ones, but I am pleasantly surprised by the others!

About the car seat... I think I would need one for a taxi. I don't know! I have never had a baby in a taxi. What else can you do?

Legally you don't need one for a taxi.

re blow up tyres, DH is into his mountain biking and says you can get a sealing agent that would work on pram tyres too, you can still pump it up etc but it seals it so that if you get a puncture the tyre wont go down

lauramleigh said:
I am getting this one.. depends on what sort of pram u want though.. These are doin a deal on the buggy and the carrycot...

http://www.groovystyle.co.uk/productpag ... chair.html

Remember though if u dont buy a carseat u will have to borrow one off someone cos they wont let baby out of hospital without one..If u dont drive and cant borrow one..just buy a cheap one.. Doesnt need to be expensive if u arent going to use it much. Argos do one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ry>C$cip=1500009564.Car+and+booster+seats.htm

love that twister!!! folds so small as well the smallest i've seen. Great find!

Not all hospitals won't let you out without a car seat. Mine was happy for me to leave with James in a sling.

Surely if you don't have a car seat they will still let you take baby home - it would be kidnapping otherwise. Everyone I've said this to disputes it (though they don't have babies) but my mum eventually stopped me going on about it saying that she would give me a lift home from the hospital and she would need a car seat so we could go on outings :D

I have a Quinny Buzz and think it's fab. It's expensive but I much prefer the handling of 3 wheelers to be honest, they seem so much lighter, easier to maneuvre and less cumbersome than the 4 wheelers.

I bought it off ebay from a lady who seems to deal in 2nd hand but good condition prams, and I got the carrycot and pushchair bit for £230, and then bought the carseat separately in Mothercare.

stroller.jpg

quinny-buzz-dreami-carrycot.jpg

If you need pram advice PM lozzi ... she's the uber expert on everything to do with prams!! :D

I considered a Buzz but when folded the wheels don't fit in my car :(

The only advice I have is DON'T buy a Mamas and Papas one, I thought that they were the best brand but ours is horrible, it's a ba$*&rd to steer, a nightmare to collapse and it weighs a tonne!! My SIL has a lovely Gracco one that cost less than half the amount ours did!

BTW, my opinion on mamas and papas stuff doesn't just stop at their prams, I have never had to take so much back or make so many complaints in my life!!! And I don't normally bother to complain! :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back