Pram Dilemma

DiddlePlumbs

Reaction score
One of my besties let me have her Mothercare travel system. She said it'd barely been used because she didn't like it and bought a different one after 3 months. Considering how expensive they are me and OH were really really grateful.

However, having only used it when carting it around to different relatives houses looking for somewhere to store it, I can see why. It's very bulky. Very big. Very black. It also only fits in OH's car. I can squeeze it into my boot but I wouldn't be able to do it by myself.

(I hate how ungrateful I sound)

Went to the local car boot with my parents and sister today and whilst we were browsing we spotted this gorgeous Silver Cross pram in greys/beiges and yellow. It was so lovely and comes with like the footmuff and an umbrella and it was generally just so much more suitable for what we need. It's pretty much an older version of this one I think http://www.silvercrossbaby.com/pram-systems/Linear-Freeway/oxford-grey/ and it even had the matching car seat... all for £35. To which they went down to £30.

And my mum being mum, talked me into getting it (not that I needed much persuasion!) lol

Now I feel really guilty. It was such a lovely gift from her and I feel like if I tell her I've bought another one that I'll just seem really rude. Am I rude?!

I know she definitely doesn't want and she's told me outright she doesn't want it back. But there again, I know that's not the point...

WHAT DO I DO NOW?!

If id given my friend a pram and they decided it wasnt for them I wouldnt feel offended, I would suggest you tell her tge problem with getting it in the car but remember to thank hef again, offer it back if she doesnt want it u could see if the grandparents want it as a back up for their house? If not you could sell it yourself on gumtree or something.

I'm sure she won't be offended, prams are a very personal choice and if yours doesn't fit in your car, its not much good!

Xx

my husband came home with a pram when we first found out we were pregnant that his friend gave him.....id already told hubby i wanted to get my own a its a very personal choice to which he said hed told his friend this but his friend just wanted shot of it out of the house and said we could do whatever we wanted with it...so we are gonna sell it....theres nothing wrong with it its like new, but its not what i would have chosen......a pram is very personal i think and every woman/ couple will have different needs to fulfill....e.g. i wanted something very easy to use and easy to collapse and lightweigt as i hav 2 slipped discs
also, my mum had said ever since we had started ttc that she wanted to be the one to buy our pram

i dont think ur friend wil be offended hun...offer it back with the reasons uv outlined...e.g. it only fits in ur oh's car so no good if ur on ur own with baby....dont see how she can be offended by that

xxx

If she doesn't want it back perhaps sell it and offer half of what you get.

Hey Hun, I think if you explain why you would like a different one and offer her it back then you have done all you can x I will say though that I have the freeway and it does have its own problems really. The Ventura carseat that goes with it doesn't fit in all cars as the belt needs to be quite long x hope it manages to fit in both your cars x two of the wheels do come off the freeway chassis though which makes it easier to fit in the boot x my little un came out of special care last week and before she was allowed home they had to test her oxygen levels in our carseat for 15 minutes. She is 8lb 11, so she is a good size. During this test her oxygen levels were dropping a few times and it was because of the head support on the Ventura pushing her head too far forward and at a bad angle for breathing. Stupid really that something that is supposed to protect her head could cause a problem like that. Once it was taken off she was absolutely fine, but I thought I would let you know as it surprised me a lot x

I love the freeway, how it feels to push is fantastic for long walks, suitable when bubs gets older, can use with the carseat instead etc and its a fantastic system, so long as your car is big enough lol xxx

Hey Hun, I think if you explain why you would like a different one and offer her it back then you have done all you can x I will say though that I have the freeway and it does have its own problems really. The Ventura carseat that goes with it doesn't fit in all cars as the belt needs to be quite long x hope it manages to fit in both your cars x two of the wheels do come off the freeway chassis though which makes it easier to fit in the boot x my little un came out of special care last week and before she was allowed home they had to test her oxygen levels in our carseat for 15 minutes. She is 8lb 11, so she is a good size. During this test her oxygen levels were dropping a few times and it was because of the head support on the Ventura pushing her head too far forward and at a bad angle for breathing. Stupid really that something that is supposed to protect her head could cause a problem like that. Once it was taken off she was absolutely fine, but I thought I would let you know as it surprised me a lot x

I love the freeway, how it feels to push is fantastic for long walks, suitable when bubs gets older, can use with the carseat instead etc and its a fantastic system, so long as your car is big enough lol xxx

I'm really paranoid about this in general. My current manager at work used to work in Adams and they had to do a lot of car seat training sessions and she was telling me that a baby should never be in a car seat for longer than half an hour unless it's extremely necessary for this exact reason - oxygen deprivation. Now I'm really paranoid about any car seat :S What sort of test was it?

I know my friend will probably understand I just feel so mean :( Just finding the right words I guess?

Baby is placed in the car seat wearing the clothes they usually would be etc, so outside coat etc and with the head supports that would usually be in there. They attach sensors around babies foot that monitor their stats for a good 15 mins, if it drops under a certain number an alarm goes off. The problem is the head support pushes the head forward and restricts the airways, apparently it's quite a problem with neonates but they were very surprised because she was term that it was causing such a problem x the Ventura is absolutely fine without the head support though Hun, just same advise as usual never leave them in more than needed / not over an hour etc xx it's a good system though xx it just surprised me that 'safety' features made it worse iykwim?

I think your friend will understand Hun, after all she didn't use it for the same reason? X good luck and hope it works out x

Baby is placed in the car seat wearing the clothes they usually would be etc, so outside coat etc and with the head supports that would usually be in there. They attach sensors around babies foot that monitor their stats for a good 15 mins, if it drops under a certain number an alarm goes off. The problem is the head support pushes the head forward and restricts the airways, apparently it's quite a problem with neonates but they were very surprised because she was term that it was causing such a problem x the Ventura is absolutely fine without the head support though Hun, just same advise as usual never leave them in more than needed / not over an hour etc xx it's a good system though xx it just surprised me that 'safety' features made it worse iykwim?

I think your friend will understand Hun, after all she didn't use it for the same reason? X good luck and hope it works out x

i actually saw the nurses doing this monitor test on my niece last week! BIL took the car seat in to try baby in (he takes her home tomoro) and they said while uv got it here we will do the test (apparently babies wh are premature and been on oxygen they like t check on a monitor thing for like 20 mins)....so while she was sat in there they attached a monitor to her foot....was interesting to watch as never heard of it before.

xxx

which pram did she give you hunni, so us mum's know what to avoid at least, and as for your friend, she will understand, offer for her to have it back or if its ok for you to pass it on or give it to a charity x x x

i actually saw the nurses doing this monitor test on my niece last week! BIL took the car seat in to try baby in (he takes her home tomoro) and they said while uv got it here we will do the test (apparently babies wh are premature and been on oxygen they like t check on a monitor thing for like 20 mins)....so while she was sat in there they attached a monitor to her foot....was interesting to watch as never heard of it before.

xxx

From what the staff said on nicu / scbu before they are not allowed to discharge any of their babies they have to pass the car seat monitoring, it's mad because I wouldn't have even thought about it causing a problem with her breathing. Most of what you hear about car seats is about then causing spine problems etc x they said a lot of seats can cause problems with neonates because of their size / being born too early they dont have good muscle tone to hold their head / reposition if needed. Hope all goes well with her coming home Hun :D xxx

I reckon she'll completely understand, given that she didn't get on well with that pram in the first place. I'd just tell her that you're really grateful for the gift but from just moving it around a bit you've realised that it just doesn't suit your needs. Ask her what she thinks you should do with it so she has the option of taking it back and selling it if she wants to.

which pram did she give you hunni, so us mum's know what to avoid at least, and as for your friend, she will understand, offer for her to have it back or if its ok for you to pass it on or give it to a charity x x x

It was very similar to this one (it's about two years old now so probably an older model?) http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercar...r-Travel-System---Mira/455690,default,pd.html

For any mums who have this one, i think it is just personal preference. I like things compact and this was never going to fit into the boot of my Renault Clio! lol

Thanks for all the support, you've all made me less scared to tell her! :)

Haha oh dear, that's my pram! Thanks for the heads up lol ;)

yeh dont be scared to tell her hun, if shes a friend shel understand :)

the pram our friends gave us wev actually put on ebay as of last night with no reserve just to get rid of it (iv also put it on the classifieds on here) as they dont want it back and said we could sell it if we wanted.....figure theres no point keeping it taking up space in the house if itl never get used, wed much rather someone benefit from a bargain :0
xxx

Be careful with the silvercross as this us the make I wanted but the car seat was huge and didn't fit into my car, nor does my car have the isofix fixtures x

Thats the pram i had with my son and i hated it too far to big and bluky xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back