Practicalities of cloth nappies.

crazycatlady

Reaction score
So I always intended to try reusable nappies. Lo is now 12 weeks and finally feel ready. We have around 15 tots bots easyfit nappies - I have tried them and they work well on him although I've not left them any longer than between 2 feeds. I am looking into bamboozle stretch for nights.

My questions are more about how you change, sort and store nappies. Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Where do you keep nappy pail?
Do you soak nappies or not?
When you change baby when do you 'sort' the nappy e.g. flush or sluice liner (I have some fleece and some flushable)?
Where do you put lo while you do this?
How are men with the whole thing?
How often do you wash nappies?

Think that's it. I have using cheeky wipes since lo we came home from hospital ans love them - can't wait to get started with cloth.

Pail in the utility room
Dry pail
Because I use baby wipes I use a nappy bag so sort nappies there and then (my LO was exclusively BF and didn't find liners useful till she was on solids, now they are great)
My LO is 9 months so happy to sit and play now, usually change her on floor so ok being left a min
My husband is great about changing
I wash every second day

Good luck with your cloth nappies

As a husband I can say, that it's not a problem at all :) baby wipes are a godsend!

Considering trying cloth nappies with my baby when he/she arrives.I bought a few Bumgenius Elementals, think I have four of them, two flips (with 6 inserts at the ready)... but thinking of buying a couple of Freetime as they sound better and I'm pretty sure they weren't an option when I bought the Elementals. I figure if I buy a couple of Freetimes I might have enough to tide me by.

Going to put my son in a cloth nappy this afternoon to try it out. Not sure about dry pailing to be honest...

Dry pailing is fine. Better then dealing with a load of soggy dirty nappies! Separate any parts as the nappy comes off and put them in the nappy bin. Then you're not faffing with a load of dirty nappies on wash day. Put them on a cold rinse first then do a full wash with powder not liquid or tabs. A half dose is recommended or a full dose with an extra rinse after.

The cold rinse is important - hot sets stains so the cold water gets rid of the worst before the hot.

Where do you keep nappy pail?

In the bath!

Do you soak nappies or not?

Dry Pail

When you change baby when do you 'sort' the nappy e.g. flush or sluice liner (I have some fleece and some flushable)?

After the change is complete, and baby is down somewhere safe.

Where do you put lo while you do this?

Cot, pram, chair - anywhere safe

How are men with the whole thing?

Men are a law unto themselves! I am lucky and have a very supportive one LOL

How often do you wash nappies?

usually a nappy load every 2-3 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads