Potty training for non-verbal 2yo?

kumber

Reaction score
I'm thinking that ds1 is ready to start potty training. He squats to poo, he checks his nappy, holds his bits when it's full. He is, however, non-verbal; i.e, he still babbles so is unable to tell me he's wet/done a poo/etc. He is 2 next month.

Does he sound like he's ready? If so, how do I work with him so that he doesn't get frustrated with the struggle to communicate when he's got a wet/dirty nappy?

have you thought of baby sign language? associated a simple hand gesture with needing to go, search potty sign language on youtube...once the association is this it wont take him long, our daughter is familiar with the sign and the potty but is too young to train just yet but we want her to be aware of it and what its for before we need to train her...coincidentally she has already done a no 2 in it but only cos she trumped during nappy free time and put her on before she went but havin the confidence to go while sitting down is something...

I was thinking of that but I don't know how well he'd grasp the concept. He has difficulty understanding some basic communication. It's worth a try though, if he's not too old for it

Unfortunately this is the problem, he doesn't make eye contact and he's not good at understanding associations. For example, we have cats but he doesn't associate the word 'cat' with the animal. I will give it a bash with him cus it's certainly worth a try but I'm just not sure how well it will work. I'm hoping we can get some sort of diagnosis in relation to the autism spectrum but I recognise that's a while off as we're only starting the first steps now. I just don't know how that will affect his potty training as he's high functioning but doesn't understand certain things

Jackson is verbal although, most recently sometimes hes not been telling me when he needs if hes been playing etc - so Ive had to really just watch his ques if we are out n about ie pulling at himself or away hiding (and hunched over something) for a poop :lol:

You could always keep him bare bum in the house, watch for his actions and help promp him. We havent had alot of accidents at home because we watch then sit him on if he hasnt went in like 30-45 mins Ill prompt him. Sometimes he says he doesnt need then goes anyway, so it can be a guessing game with babies.

Id say if your about and have the time to do it you could let him get bare bum at home, show him the potty and even perhaps put him on a toilet timer (Jackson gets asked every 30 minutes at nursery and taken to the loo) I found a big change in like a month of me letting him do bare bum at home and timer at nursery - we still do it this way but now hes taking him self and taking his pants down. So its always good to start somewhere.

xxxx

Thanks chuck, I was thinking of your method and wondered if it might be worth a try. I'm taking on board everything and letting it all sink in while I try and work out exactly what his cues are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back