Postpartum Pre-Eclampsia

Dax

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this?

Was re-admitted to hosp 3 days after birth due to high BP and high levels of protein in urine - it wasn't confirmed that I have this but it sounds likely. Just wondering if anyone has any experience? I'm on BP tablets now x

I had pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks and had to have my baby early. However, the pre-eclampsia didn't resolve after she was delivered, so I had it post-partum as well. They finally managed to get my bp under control with nifedipine and labetalol and I was discharged 8 days after giving birth.

I was on bp medication for 6 months - it was reduced gradually as my bp returned to normal. I had to have regular bp checks with my GP to see how I was going.

Hope you are feeling better on the meds xx

Thanks, it's nice to know of time scales! Couldn't find anything when searching online!
But yeah, I've been given a weeks prescription of Labetalol and it was keeping it under the borderline in hospital so hopefully it'll help things go back to normal :) thanks for sharing your experience x

I also had this and thought I was the only one!
It was never confirmed pre eclampsia because my protein levels kept changing but swelling, headaches high bp and on, off protein... so it would have developed into it if I hadn't been induced.

I was on labetalol for a while after I had baby probably 8-9 months! im off it now ad still worry about my bp ad have it checked once a month or so.

I thought it was just me as my dr said normally the cure for it is to deliver baby but not with you.. I thought I was a one off lol so its nice to read your stories too!!

I had this, I had to have very strong bp drugs which I was slowly weaned off!
Xxx

Yeah Linx, sounds the same for me! I was admitted to hosp 2 days overdue (Weds 19th) with high BP then induced next day as it wasn't going down. I thought I'd be fine as soon as I had baby but it shot up again when I was off tablets!

I actually had/have no symptoms apart from the high BP and protein but so glad it was found! Can't believe it happened so late!

And thanks Mrs N!
BP was fine today, will see what GP has to say in a week or so about continuing medication X

Last edited:
Yep! Had it with my first, not with my second...so something to bear in mind if you're going to have another!

I've had high Bp for years though so I'm still on meds and will be forever but that's just me xxx

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

I got mine about 4 days after birth but I was still in hospital at that point, I was thoroughly annoyed as I wanted to go home and felt fine! Lol! I had some very strong bp drugs which I was sent home with then over the space of prob a month I had to go twice a week to the docs who did my bp and weaned me off the drugs!
Xxx

I thought it was just me as my dr said normally the cure for it is to deliver baby but not with you.. I thought I was a one off lol so its nice to read your stories too!!

The consultant in hospital said that delivering the baby resolves 9 out of 10 cases of pre-eclampsia, because I asked about it after the delivery didn't get rid of it!

Rhino Horn - good to hear that you didn't have it with your second. I'm quite scared of developing pre-eclampsia again, but being monitored really closely this time. I'm just glad that labetalol can be taken in pregnancy so there's something they can do if it starts again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back