Possible ectopic...

kayos

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I did a pregnancy test 7 days ago and was very pleased it was positive. Unfortunately I have been having stomach cramps since then (similar to period pains) especially on the right hand side. No bleeding as yet. Went to the doctors on Wednesday who booked me in for a scan on Thursday morning. They couldn't see any sign of the pregnancy (as it's only 4-5 weeks that isn't too unusual) but they were very concerned about ectopic. They took bloods and phoned me that afternoon to be admitted in case of ectopic rupture. My HCG levels were 2120. Then a different registrar decided to send me home again (after 6 hours on a bed in A & E because no beds on ward). I had a second test yesterday and HCG is over 5000. I've got a scan booked on Tuesday so I'm just hoping they can see something this time. Today I don't have any pain, still no bleeding, just worried.
Fingers crossed. Nurses/midwife seem much more positive than the registrar who said ectopic still quite likely (but i suppose he should know).
Anyone have cramps and it turned out ok? Trying not to build my hopes up too much.
Kay

Oh hon so sorry you're going through this! It's really scary isnt it?

I was rushed up to the hospital for a scan 3 days ago at 5w 5d as had pains on my left side only, along with spotting/bleeding and shoulder pain. The doctor examined me and it really hurt when she pressed on my left side exactly where my ovaries/fallopian tubes would be, so I was convinced it was ectopic. The 2 hour wait for a scan was horrendous. Thankfully the scan showed my bubs is in the right place :)

Hope that reassures you a bit hun, and I really hope yours will be okay too! It could be the scan you had was just too early to see anything (mine was nearly 6 weeks and they could only see the yolk and gestational sacs).

It's really good they're keeping a close eye on you hun, and if worst does come to the worst and it was ectopic then I think they can often save the tube if they catch it that early. But I really hope for you that it doesn't come to that!

Let us know how you get on xxx

A lot of people have terrible pains from the side that their egg was released from!
The hospital can't dismiss it just incase it is ectopic but bad pains on one side early on in pregnancy are pretty common.
Fx all is ok and ur bubs is tucked up where it should be :) xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I really hope everything is ok but like Jay says al ot of women get pains on one side. Mine is the left and I'm confident that is the side I ovulated from as I got a similar pain around ovulation day.

FX for you hon xx

Thanks ladies - just got to wait now. Really want to get excited about everything but just can't yet xx

FX everything turns out ok for you lovely! I had terrible pains in my right side around 7-8 weeks, got it checked out by the doc and baby was in the normal place, turns out a muscle or some muscles had just gone into spasm!! Keep us all updated on how everything goes! xxx

FX that all is OK and your lil one is snuggled up where it should be.

XX

Fx for you, hope all is well.x

Hi Kayos,

Just wanted to say that from the details you have given it is very likely that this is a normal pregnancy. Your hcg levels do not appear to be rising abnormally and your hospital sound like they are willing to monitor you closely before a firm diagnosis is made. Some hospitals are very pro-active in terms of ectopics in order to prevent collapse and rupture, but to the patient this can seem like an over reaction and quite scary.
I had an ectopic diagnosed last May at my 12 week scan. I stupidly didn't go to my doctor or midwife with my concerns but I was very, very lucky that my hospital acted promptly and operated on me immediately following the diagnosis on the scan. The exact location of my tubal ectopic determined that I did not rupture in the previous weeks.
My symptoms were pain (like bad wind), which worsened when I went to the loo, dizziness, fainting & severe headaches, tenderness and bloating in my tummy. I just felt ill.
This pregnancy, however, has been confirmed to be in the right place and I have suffered from lots of twinges and cramps (albeit some of them are as a direct result of scar tissue from the surgery) and they have been on either side.
I very much hope that everything turns out well for you. It sounds like you have an excellent chance that this is just a scare and it will turn out to be ok.
Let us know how you get on. x

I have no experience of ectopics but your hcg levels seem too good, I've been looking on a beta board where people post their results and all the people who had ectopics had much lower levels than yours.

I have everything crossed for you.:)

Xx

Hope everything is ok, ive been experiencing cramps on and off for the last week especially bad today, it really does make you think the worst. FX for you xxx

Thanks all for your comments, especially Fordee for sharing your ectopic experience - hope this pregnancy goes smoothly for you. Another 24hrs to go before my scan - can't think what to do with myself for another day.

yep, i was in hospital last night too for REALLY bad stomach cramps and pain when passing a poo. They thought either appendix or ectopic. After tests and a scan it turned out to be niether!!

just bad IBS brought on by pregnancy hormones. Still not nice, but a lot better than losing my wee baby. Try to keep positive, I know its hard.

Last night one minute I was preparing myself for the worse, the next minute I was convinced it was all gonna be fine. Its a rollercoaster. xx

Lynds77 - rollercoaster is just how I feel - up one minute, down then next. Glad to hear you're ok xxx

how did you get on with your scan?? xx

hi, just finished work, first chance i've had to update.
Had scan this morning and things are looking up - today they could see a gestational sac in the right place, nicely thick walled and regular. Unfortunately they still can't see a yolk sac (not too unusual as only just over 5 weeks) yet so it's possibly still ectopic but my chances are much better now. Another scan in 1 week so fx I can finally start planning after that if all goes well. It's going to be another long week! On the plus side I think I have now met every gynae consultant and midwife at the hospital and am saving up magazines for the early antenatal unit waiting room!

K xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back