Pooing on the potty

Georgesmum

Reaction score
hello all, my 3.5 year old is potty trained for weeing but he refuses to poo on the potty. This has been going on for ages and i am fed up of washing dirty pants. He isn't scared to go on the potty to poo and i know he can as he has done it successfully once or twice. He thinks its hilarious that he does it in his pants and clearly does it on purpose. Reward charts and treats not worked. Any advice ladies?

Have you tried him on the toilet? My daughter will poo on the potty if need be, someone using the bathroom etc, but much prefers to do a poo on the toilet x

I work with little children and it's completely 'normal' if they won't poo on the potty before 4 years old. Some children just have difficulties 'letting go'. That said, i wouldn't like it either as a mom ;-) You could make it easier for him giving him a diaper when he needs to poo and then put him on the potty with the diaper on. After a while you can try to do it without the diaper. Good luck!

Jackson has been dry a few weeks now during the day but I have noticed he waits until night time when he has a nappy on to do a poo :lol:

He has did it on the potty a few times, maybe about 10 times in total since we started but with some encouragement. Ive had to start watching for ques - he tends to get a wee bit ansy running back on to the potty then off again and saying he doesnt want to a few times, I guess that means hes needing and trying to put it off. I have to just watch and if I notice try and encourage the potty. Thankfully we have only had 1 poo accident which is ok but expect a few more now that we are dry during the days.

I was told by the nursery teacher and HV that he will probably take the longest to poo on the potty as often kids do. But for me I will keep an extra eye as my wee brother used to hold it and then suffered from overflow constipation and lost bowel sensation - obviously worse case scenario but Im quite wary of just letting him hold it in. My wee brothers condition started at 2-3 year old and by the time he was told what it was he needed bowel sensation retraining, basically teaching himself when he needs again - and hes now 17 and doesnt poop himself.

Jackson is mainly bare bum at home, just incase there are any poop accidents. Hes randomly pooped in the hall once at the start but now that he is bare bum he has no choice but to go to the toilet or its somewhere easily cleanable. When we are out long periods like the park or somewhere with no toilets I use a pull up.

I think its mainly a task of being patient, looking for ques and following babies lead. Reiterate that its not nice or funny to have an accident in your pants.

Good luck.

xxxx

Hi, my sister had a similar problem with her son - he just wouldn't 'let go' unless he had a nappy on. He became quite constipated a few times and ended up with quite a sore tummy. A trip to the doctors and a prescription for movicol has sorted him out though. The consensus was that he was quite constipated anyway, and that doing a poo was hurting him, but the extra comfort of a nappy made it OK. After a couple of days with the movicol he started to use the potty more often and is fine now x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back