Poo fear

Robyner

Reaction score
Toilet/potty training statred monday. Lo picked up what to do immediatly with wee but she has been very clingy and very subdued and everyday has been talking about how much she dosent like poo ( shes three in june. ) all week you could tell there were times of panic when she wanted to go but wouldnt. She went twice at night in her nappy over the wedk.
Today was her worst day and she pooed her pants and was so upset. Obvs i scooped her up and gave her the biggest cuddle. Shes been doing role play with toys and has been telling them how she dosent like poo. Ive explained and the toys have explained lol :) that its normal and the basic in and outs if you pardon the pun.
Any tips?
Ive just carried on with her wearing knickers and kind of let things happen but should i have put on a nappy when she got distressed? I did offer her the chance to sit on my lap on a nappy but she wouldnt.
Help please :)

No tips I'm afraid. My son is the opposite and is fascinated by poo!

Hi, section hopping here as I'm not a Mum but I did used to teach a little boy who was scared of poo/pooing and we worked out it was hurting him due to constipation etc. Could this be the reason? Best of luck with it anyway x

There's a good book called everyone poops and also one on Amazon called it hurts when I poop which is specifically for kids who are scared to poo. Maybe try reading through them at night time?

Thank you. I have asked why she dosent like it but she just wont answer me, like she dant explain it.
She has had constipation in the past and the ones shes done this week were more solid than usual, so maybe its just bad timing with the toilet training.
I will look at the books.

Hi robyner we started potty training last week but on day one he pooed in his pants and got very distressed too. Kept saying 'I didn't want to poo' and didn't want his dad anywhere near him, just me and it was a struggle cleaning him up. I think he had held it in for a while. The next day I went to put pants on him and he went ape screaming he didn't want to put pants on. So I have sacked the potty training for now I don't want to put him off completely. I think poos are always a trickier thing to do but it's encouraging she got doing a pee really quickly. Have you tried a reward chart? There is a book we have pirate Petes potty (you can get a princess potty one) and it talks about how doing a poo is strange when it's not in a nappy. Might help to address the subject that way? Good luck xxx

My little girl was like thi- its actually very common. We showed her the 'Poo Goes to Pooland' cartoon on YouTube, which did the trick, after about a week. Just keep offering reassurance, and she'll get there. Xxxx

We have had success!
So i showed her a few videos on you tube, i found everyone poops on you tube as well.
She wasnt impressed but watched them through.
Shes been really anxious about it all morning, writhing around and groaning, so i kept reminding her about mr poo going to poo land. Even did my best paw patrol voices and pretended she could help paw patrol by sending poo home.
In the end i could tell it was going to happen soon so i made the decision to take off her leggings and pants and disapeard off to do some chores. Leaving her in private seemed to really help which isnt surprising, she had been hiding away to poo in her nappy for ages.
I dont think weve cracked it yet, she was still not very happy but ive been promising her a toy rubber crocodile for doing so well ( its the random things eh?)
Thanks for ypur advice ladies xxx

One step forward one step back. Poo city in pants this afternoon lol bless her, i suspected it might be the case x

Bless her, it's a huge adjustment for them. I started to just let my little girl have privacy when it looked like Ashe was needing to go. And when she did, I was over the top with my praise, and gave rewards. Soon it'll seem like it never happened, but it is awful to see them struggle. Xxx

Im at my wits end.
I feel like my life is over. How long does this phase last?!?!
Ive tried EVERYTHING.
Its the first day if a much needed holiday for us as a family and im about to burst.
All ive had all week is constant whinging and today im ready to snap.
We dont feel like we can go anywhere until she has done a poo but she absolutely will not.
Please understand i hate seeing her like this but honestly what else can i do?!
Shes on day 3 of a no show and has been prescribed lactulose etc
I feel like this is going to my my life for the next 8 months.

I think it took 4 weeks from the start of potty training to when my daughter was willing to poo on the potty. Nothing much I did really changed other than the continuous praise and talking about how 'big girls' poo in the potty and not their nappies. It then took another couple of weeks to poo in the toilet. I think it's just a bit scary for them being faced with a giant turd so close to them as they've never really seen it before potty training - we always clean it up for them when they're in nappies.
Things that I think probably helped was her seeing her friend doing a poo when we went to their house.
Good luck hun, potty training can be so stressful.xxx

I had this problem with my son when he was the same age, he would wee on the toilet but would ask for a nappy when he wanted a poo.
I would at first give him his nappy and set him on the toilet with his nappy on, then the week after I took his nappy off and sat him on the toilet, he did panic, but I stayed with him and rubbed his belly, this made him more relaxed and after about 10 minutes he went! Lots praise and a treat after. But yes he was very frightened, very sad. The next time it went a little easier, after a few days all was well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back