PND

Louise_a

Reaction score
hi there

ive beenon prozac for almost a year now due to past things in life bottled up and then the death of my father made it all come out but in my sleep, i would get night terrors.

these went away soon after starting the medication, i am now up for review withthe doc next week but ive also mentioned to midwife etc that i have been feeling down again, like before i was taking the pills. its been like this for the past couple of months. i gave it time before mentioning as i thought it might be the hormones. i stopped taking the prozac at 1 point because i thought there was no point, as soon as they totally left my body i was missrible! bursting into tears all the time, didnt want to know my friends, family or my OH. i wanted to leave my life basically and the people that knew something was wrong were tryingto help but i got angry and took everything out on them so i started to take again and told the midwife.

ive now got an appointment with the phycotherapist person (the head doc) to disscuss. is this pre-natal depression ontop and will i suffer with PND aswell?

I don't have an answer hun - but didn't want to read and run :hug:

sure someone will be along with an answer for you soon

it might be pre-natal depression, but not necessarily. to me it sounds like your symptoms are from the depression u had b4 u were even pregnant, and hav just come out coz u stopped the meds.

every pregnant woman is at risk of developing PND- but just because u got regular depression does not mean u are "doomed" to definately get PND! i hav been diagnosed with 2 psych. disorders including depression but i hav been fortunate to hav escaped PND. i hope u are as lucky :hug:

im not just lucky tho i hav great support from my family and a good relationship with my baby-daddy, and also a nice helpful HV which i think contributes to me not getting PND. make sure u have a good support network too (both at home and professional) and good luck :hug:

I had loads of psychiatric problems before I had Tia and the year before I was in hospital after having a nervous breakdown... It was pretty bad...

When I got pregnant with Tia I got really depressed... I felt quite lonely and isolated too...

However, once I had her.... I had something to do with myself, I actually improved... and I never got PND. I don't know if I was lucky, or if it was the fact that my depression, like most general depression, focused on my problems and myself, and once I had Tia, I didn't have that focus anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I still had depression issues, and I had some difficult times, which made my depression much worse, but not related to having my daughter.

Don't worry yourself thinking you will end up getting PND because you have been depressed in the past. Everyone who's had depression, knows that there is a trigger and a cause, and the trigger for PND will not be the same for your original bout of depression.

Stay positive. Remember that when your LO arrives you will have a responsibility to your baby and you will realise how much it is worth it to stay healthy.... but if you feel like you might be slipping again, go see your GP straight away and get help... don't feel guilty about it... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I've suffered with depression for many years and was taking meds before I had Isaac but stopped them when I fell pg. Unfortunately I started to go downhill again when Isaac was 8 months old so I'm back on the tablets now. I think it was hormonal though but my doctor didnt think it was PND, just anxiety and panic attacks.

Everyone is different and I think you can only stay well with positive thinking and support from family and friends to a certain extent then you get to a point when you just know you need more help, thats why as soon as I felt dodgy again I went straight back to the doctors for my meds and nipped it in the bud. Theres no point trying to be a hero and cope and struggle when theres help out there.

I do feel as though its inside me and the tablets are keeping it under wraps but if it means I can manage to lead a normal life and be a good mum and function then I'm staying on the tablets as long as I can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back