Please Share Meningitis B Petition

Clover

Reaction score
Hi Girls, as you may of seen on the news, 2 year old Faye contracted Meningitis B and Died on 14th Feburary 2016, after fighting the disease for 11 days, Her parents are campaigning to have all children vaccinated against Meningitis B
There is an online petition you can sign

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-35596857

xxxxxx

There is a meningitis B vaccine my little one has had it at 8 weeks and his last one at 4 months...or is it not available to everyone? Sorry I'm a bit confused. Xxx

Hi Hun,
yeah it is a bit confusing, The Meningitis B vaccine only came into the schedule in September 2015 and its only given to babies born after the 1st May 2015 so all babies/children born before then do not get it in the UK immunisation schedule,
It is available to have privately but the cost is about £100-200

I'm a childrens immunisation nurse so any questions I will do my best to answer :)

xxxxxx

I went to my paediatrician in January and she mentioned started babbling about vaccinations despite the fact that I was there for his speech delay and his possible allergies..

Anyway, when I mentioned the fact that Men C back in the day had a massive hysteria created just to get everyone to come in to get a catch up(I remember going in after seeing on the kids news, loads of little villages had contracted it and they went as far as showing a contracted and death count on the news to scare kids about men C) even then doctors admitted that men B was still more of a problem than men C and men C was merely a hysteria created by the media.. (I read this in a medical journal that hasn't been discredited)

anyway, so I says to her. It's a fact that the death rate of Men B is 500+ each year whereas a measles is 1 (considering measles always has to be portrayed as if loads of people die from it while figures show that isn't the case) she came up with these answers that just seemed ridiculous to me.. I got answers in regards to men B that because he now isn't that vulnerable he won't need it... I think that is bollocks, I think he's still equally as vulnerable because Men B is just a very benign type of meningitis.

She then said to go and speak to a vaccination nurse which I happily accepted because I couldn't listen any longer to her b****** in regards to the subject! I will be signing the petition because it's one of the vaccinations that I would consider having done but my OH won't as it's only private (comes to show how much of a hypocrite he is when it comes to vaccinations...)

I can't for my dear life find a link to the actual petition though!

Wow that's horrible!! All children need it so it should be free! They told us to give our little one calpol after it for the day he had it and he was okay afterwards but he's still got a lump on his leg from it he's almost 5 months and had it just as he hit 4 months so will it go away eventually? Thank you for answering xxx

I think the government will have to do something about it as it's now in the media, did you know there was a year delay getting the vaccine into the Uk schedule due to the negotiations between the vaccine company and department of health, a delay due to cost has actually cost the lives and health of children left unimmunised ,
I feel appalled that I cannot give children a vaccine for a disease that is preventable

Thanks for your comments Deedee

xxxxxx

Hi Violet
It's quite common for babies to get lumps at the injection site, what we do say is if it's bigger than a 50p or is there for longer than 2 weeks to get it checked by your GP
So I would get it checked, I don't really want to say without seeing him hun

xxxxxxx

So sad, I've signed it. My lg was born 1st may so had the jab but my friends lg who was born April 15th didn't, it made no sense to me, they should all have it

I definitely think it should be available to everyone. Each an every child no matter what age is vulnerable to the disease. I've been thinking of paying to have Alfie done (turns 1 today) for extra protection. It's something I dread after my sister had a meningitis and sepsis scare when she was younger. Just wondering if any mummies that read this, have a paid to have their child done?

Thank you Hun I've booked an appointment for tomorrow. It's not huge it's fairly small but it's hard I don't like touching it much incase it hurts him. I think all children need vaccines especially men b! Xxx

Hi Toni
I agree that every child should be vaccinated against it as it is avaliable
I have spoke to some colleagues to say and apparently a few doctors in our area are giving the vaccine to children who are born before May 15
So I think you'd be best to speak to your GP practice and ask if they would be willing to vaccinate
I think privately the vaccine costs around £190 per dose, babies under 1 need 3 doses but I'm not sure about older children

I am going to get my little boy vaccinated, so I'm just looking into the cost etc

Hope you are able to vaccinate your little one

xxxxxx

Thank you Hun I've booked an appointment for tomorrow. It's not huge it's fairly small but it's hard I don't like touching it much incase it hurts him. I think all children need vaccines especially men b! Xxx
No problem sweetie, glad you've got an appointment, it's best to get it looked at just to make sure it's ok, bless him I hope he's ok my lovely

xxxxx

My surgery didn't get it until September even though my lg was born in june so my lg missed the first dose but was given just a second dose so has some protection. It's still not right how only some babies get it.

Last edited:
Raising awareness is good, the fact you cannot get the vaccine privately is not so good.

No where near me (and I'm central London) are taking new patients due to shortage of the vaccine. This will be reviewed in June / July for every place I have called.

Thank you clover. He has his next lot of jabs on the 29th so I'll speak to the nurse when we see her.

Nat, that's a shame. And surprising too, considering you live in a city. I'm wondering if we'd struggle as we are only a very small town.

It's a global shortage and the manufacturers have issued instructions to clinics not to take on new patients. Though apparently there is a clinic in London that is charging £250 per shot if you're a new patient. Nuts isn't it??

I agree every child should have it, it really scares me. My two boys got it on Monday and had problems afterwards but I still have no doubt I would rather they had it. Even when I was at high school a girl in my year got it and died and another 3 within a matter of months contracted it at the school, therefore we were one of the first schools to be given the vaccination that was brought here out at the time.

Hopefully the government listen :wall2:

Hi clover it's fine dr said it should go away soon it's just from his injection and it's not anything to worry about he said if in a week it hasn't even reduced in size then go back but it seems okay today and it doesn't hurt our little one. Thank you muchly :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back